Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now ye're talking - to someone who has been through rehab

124»

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 37 Verified rep I've been to rehab, AMA

Thanks, this very helpful, though very shocking to see that private health insurance is basically a prerequisite.

I'd imagine that most people with addiction issues are unlikely to be in a position where they've maintained their health insurance throughout the bad times.

That's true, although as I've mentioned above, Coolmine is the centre that finally got me into stable recovery, and there's no health insurance required there - it's accessible to everyone.

Regarding detoxes, there are a few options out there that I haven't mentioned previously that don't require health insurance - however there's usually a bit of a wait for beds. Some that come to mind are The Lantern (run by Peter McVerry), Keltoi (in Phoenix Park - which I think may be for opiates only) and St Francis' Farm. And also as I mentioned previously, Cuan Mhuire do detoxes (for alcohol and opiates), no health insurance required there either.

Although many addiction services are run on a self-referral basis, I'd still suggest your GP as your first port of call, they're generally well informed regarding options in your area.

Anyone Dublin-based looking for help, and not sure of exactly what they need as regards detox/in-patient/out-patient programs, I would advise them to go along to a free information session which is held in the Ana Liffey, 48 Middle Abbey Street every Tuesday and Thursday at 2pm. No need to book, you can just turn up. The guys there will discuss your needs with you and refer you on to the service most appropriate to you.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

A huge thank you to the OP who has been patient and generous with her answers and her time in this AMA and inspired a lot of people with her story. I'm going to close this one up now.

If anyone else would like to do one themselves, please PM me or email me niamh@boards.ie. Thanks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement