Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,348 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Nope it would still be the same.

Doubt that tbh, and your posts here suggest as much.
    My gripe is that they (the tickets) are far too expensive for what they were i.e fairly crappy GA tickets given the venue and a lot of younger fans would have missed out.
    Arena show I went 2 years prior (London) was more expensive and even at that Slane was far superior show when it was all said and done.

It takes casuals to sell more tickets, no trouble whatsoever for bigger fans to be close if they desired.

Slane is family friendly as long as you're over 5 you can attend with an adult. They literally played basically the biggest venue going if people missed out it was due to lack of trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Doubt that tbh, and your posts here suggest as much.

Arena show I went 2 years prior (London) was more expensive and even at that Slane was far superior show when it was all said and done.

It takes casuals to sell more tickets, no trouble whatsoever for bigger fans to be close if they desired.

Slane is family friendly as long as you're over 5 you can attend with an adult. They literally played basically the biggest venue going if people missed out it was due to lack of trying.

I think you're reading into things too much.

I think you're reading into things too much.
    Only reading what's posted.

In summary you didn't go to Slane and appear to whinge about it since.

Only reading what's posted.

In summary you didn't go to Slane and appear to whinge about it since.

You seem more upset about that fact than me.

You seem more upset about that fact than me.

Yeah I'm absolutely devastated to hear of your grievances. :o

• Advertisement

Yeah I'm absolutely devastated to hear of your grievances. :o

Don't be. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,981 ✭✭✭skallywag

I joined this thread a few months back, but it seems to be populated by bickering kids.

I have two questions, my first is who thinks 'Master ..' is possibly their best song, and my second is who can play it?

I'm a yes and yes by the way.

skallywag wrote: »
    I joined this thread a few months back, but it seems to be populated by bickering kids.

I have two questions, my first is who thinks 'Master ..' is possibly their best song, and my second is who can play it?

I'm a yes and yes by the way.

More a Justice guy myself.

It's a toss us up between the two, but Master does it for me.

That said, Blackened is some tune, as is Harvester. Blackened is much harder to play than Harvester.

It's a toss us up between the two, but Master does it for me.

That said, Blackened is some tune, as is Harvester. Blackened is much harder to play than Harvester.

I pretty much enjoy everything the band has done (including St. Anger and even Lulu) But yeah those two records are the pinnacle for sure.

Not really gone on the second half of Hardwired save for Spit Out the Bone.

• Advertisement

I pretty much enjoy everything the band has done

I think everything after Justice went down a different road, with the exception of Sad but True.

Again, this is from someone who also plays the riffs. If you pick up a guitar and try to play what they do, then it's pretty obvious, to me at least.

Have we any other dinasours like me who still play thrash on this thread?!

I think everything after Justice went down a different road, with the exception of Sad but True.

Again, this is from someone who also plays the riffs. If you pick up a guitar and try to play what they do, then it's pretty obvious, to me at least.

I'd rather jam along to stuff from the first four records tbh :D

That's hardly surprising, I felt our discussion was pretty baseless :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

I'd love to start a thrash metal covers band!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,781 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Granadino wrote:

Make sure you include some exodus

Wanderer78 wrote: »

Big +1 one to that, in fact it motivates me to look up the tab to Toxic Waltz later on! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Granadino wrote: »
    Wanderer78 wrote: »

Along with some Testament, Death Angel, Overkill (not the Motorhead album)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

That's hardly surprising, I felt our discussion was pretty baseless

Quality ha :)

Thepoet85 wrote: »
    Quality ha :)

I know right?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Still loving Metallica. Haven't seen them live in years now mind....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,712 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Still loving Metallica. Haven't seen them live in years now mind....

Great to hear from u again Motley Crue been quite a while

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Along with some Testament, Death Angel, Overkill (not the Motorhead album)

Man, that just brought the tune 'the years of decay' to mind, I think I had forgotten about it the best part of 30 years. What a tune.

Sorry, back on topic now!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭Degag

Sad but True came on the radio the other evening and it got me thinking.... when the rare occasion occurs that Metallica are played on mainstream radio, it is invariably Enter Sandman or NEM. Barring SBT, the only other songs I can remember being played are Whiskey and (strangely?) Hero of the Day. Anyone heard any deeper cuts?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,781 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Degag wrote: »
    Sad but True came on the radio the other evening and it got me thinking.... when the rare occasion occurs that Metallica are played on mainstream radio, it is invariably Enter Sandman or NEM. Barring SBT, the only other songs I can remember being played are Whiskey and =(strangely?) Hero of the Day. Anyone heard any deeper cuts?

bring back the 2fm metal show!

'One' used to get played quite a bit in the late 80's, though I cannot recall now whether that was that on MTV or on the radio, most likely the former.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Sad but True came on the radio the other evening and it got me thinking.... when the rare occasion occurs that Metallica are played on mainstream radio, it is invariably Enter Sandman or NEM. Barring SBT, the only other songs I can remember being played are Whiskey and (strangely?) Hero of the Day. Anyone heard any deeper cuts?

Hero Of The Day is a great song

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭klose

Untill it sleeps and memory remains?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I remember i was into bon jovi and def leppard at 12 yo and i was watching TOTP as ya did and next thing the One video came on ....life changing moment ...

the pre internet days, trying to hold the song in your head until you get your hands on a copy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Thin Lizzy's Eric Bell has come out and branded Metallica “a pack of b******s” for not paying him for an appearance at their Dublin show, 20 years ago.

https://www.thesun.ie/tvandshowbiz/music/4704783/thin-lizzy-guitarist-eric-bell/

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/thin-lizzy-guitarist-eric-bell-slams-metallica-for-failing-to-pay-him-for-guest-appearance-20-years-ago/?fbclid=IwAR3xeECXOFkezfquts4uwHbqyBgGXcoOOXiJXV4kZu7FUCIkrQ4Peo6FQi4
    He told the Irish Sun that he joined METALLICA on their private plane as they made their way from the U.K. to Dublin. He expected to receive around 2000 euros (approximately $2,200) for his appearance — although he admitted that there was no agreement on the fee.

• Advertisement

Lithium93_ wrote: »

As much as I like Bell, to be quietly expecting money without anything written in stone and complaining about it twenty years after the fact is a bit daft really.

But there's a book to be promoted so...

Advertisement