Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Officially Picking Things Up And Putting Them Down Again

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭klm1

Thanks for all the info Whippet, I'm going to set up a facebook account so and try to find all the feds etc.. I'm in a gym in Mullingar at the moment, but it's a hotel one, no connection to Powerlifting, or assistance in training. I'm going to look at other options and try to get some recommendations. I think I'll go see a few events first, then enrol later in the year to an event. Bite the literal bullet.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I know Athlone Powerlifting Club has a few good IPF lifters, so check them out if you head that way. Might be in the wrong direction for you, but Celbridge has KAOS, a nice little powerlifting gym with some experienced lifters too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭whippet

I wouldn't have a recommendation for a gym in Mullingar but i'm sure there are people on here who might.

As for feds .. the best recommendation for novices would be the IPF - they are well run; have plenty of comps and the equipment / rules are fairly simple and standard - a single type bar for each of the lifts, 2 hour weigh-ins and just wrist wraps / sleeves if you want to use them

the IPO / AIPO / GPC etc use a 25KG thicker squat bar and a deadlift bar ... also you can use knee wraps for the squat if you want .. almost everyone does .. and this isn't something i'd be recommending novices to try.

Thanks lads, I'm going to persevere with my own gym until my job situation resolves itself, then look for a proper gym with some ties to power lifting. Ideally in Athlone. I've started the Stronglifts 5x5 program as well. Will sign up for something for early next year.

Anyone from here lifting in Cork this weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

klm1 wrote: »
    Thanks lads, I'm going to persevere with my own gym until my job situation resolves itself, then look for a proper gym with some ties to power lifting. Ideally in Athlone. I've started the Stronglifts 5x5 program as well. Will sign up for something for early next year.

Anyone from here lifting in Cork this weekend?

It's actually the 20-21st October it's on.

I'm competing in the 105kg class Sunday afternoon, while Alf is lifting in the 93s on Saturday afternoon. Not sure if anyone else is lifting at it.

• Advertisement

Oh nice, I thought it was this weekend, haven't got used to it being October already. Might have an opportunity to get to Cork and see how the whole event goes and get a feel for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,551 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Was just thinking about it today...next weekend's meet is the first time I won't be lifting in the early morning session.

I don't think I ever thought it mattered because physically I felt fine every other time but will be interested to see if there is any difference lifting in the afternoon.

Was just thinking about it today...next weekend's meet is the first time I won't be lifting in the early morning session.

I don't think I ever thought it mattered because physically I felt fine every other time but will be interested to see if there is any difference lifting in the afternoon.

It can matter a huge amount to some people. Personally I never train in the morning or afternoon ... just always late evening .. I have done one or two comps with an early start and never felt quite ready ... I’m in my 40s with a legacy of old football injuries .. so probably more to do with my body needing to wake itself up

whippet wrote: »
    It can matter a huge amount to some people. Personally I never train in the morning or afternoon ... just always late evening .. I have done one or two comps with an early start and never felt quite ready ... I’m in my 40s with a legacy of old football injuries .. so probably more to do with my body needing to wake itself up

I always train in the evening. Rare occasions I'm off work it'd be in the morning but I can't say I ever walked away from the comp feeling like it cost me kilos.

I always train in the evening. Rare occasions I'm off work it'd be in the morning but I can't say I ever walked away from the comp feeling like it cost me kilos.

I had my worst comp as a morning flight .. I did initially blame the timing but deep down I know I didn’t prep right and other factors were to blame

• Advertisement

I sent my wife the one video I had from the comp yesterday and she said " there must have been a load of people there you know with the cheer you got!".

I knew 2 lads there from where I train.

Not an interesting story in and of itself but just goes to show how much a crowd of people who don't know you from Adam (or Eve because equality) will support you at a powerlifting event.

Already looking forward to going again.

2nd IrishPF comp (3rd in total) done and dusted. Lifted as a 105kg for the first time, weighing in light at 98.8kg. It will take me a while to properly fill out the class :pac:

Went 9/9 for the first and PB'd everything so happy days.

Squat: 227.5/237.5 (PB)/245kg (Bigger PB)
    Bench: 115/120 (PB)/ 125kg (Bigger PB)
    Deadlift: 245/257.5/265kg (PB)

Total: 635kg for a 30kg PB.

Really happy with the day, 15kg increase in squat, 10kg on bench and 5on deadlift. Squat and bench moved really well for pretty large PBs, deadlift felt slightly off so happy to pull out a PB still.

Placed 3rd overall so got to look awkward standing on a red 25kg plate :pac:

3rd attempts shown below:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BpOrpTyAOuS/

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Reps4jesus

class, fair play to you. What was the 1 red light on the squat for out of interest?

Reps4jesus wrote: »
    class, fair play to you. What was the 1 red light on the squat for out of interest?

It had a red 1 with it so I’m assuming depth.

Deano7788 wrote: »
    It had a red 1 with it so I’m assuming depth.

Judging was pretty strict, which I have no issue with.

Though from that angle I'd have thought it would be in.

Except I let one of the referees ahead of me in the queue for the jacks and she still red lighted me on the second attempt! WTF :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,725 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I noticed both of you wear wrist wraps. Do you feel they help much and what are the benefits?

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    I noticed both of you wear wrist wraps. Do you feel they help much and what are the benefits?

It's possibly just as much mental in a comp. I never really feel the lack of wraps is an issue when I'm doing singles, albeit at sub-max weights. But mentally, for me anyway, it possibly helps me get tighter but I don't know if it's an actual physical aid.

Dtp1979 wrote: »

I find it locks my wrists/hands into position so they don’t budge at all during the movement; the ones I wear are pretty stiff and I wear them pretty tight (the skin underneath is actually a slightly different coloring now because of it). My wrists are actually surprisingly thin so every little helps and all that.

I wear them on squats as well, just feels more comfortable with them.

There’s definitely the mental aspect of it as well in that it feels more secure.

My coach doesn’t wear them at all and he squat 265 and benched 182.5kg at the weekend and Barry Pigott doesn’t wear them benching but does squatting so it’s a pretty individual thing.

If you love a bit of powerlifting and looking for a goal this year, aim for a competition.

The OP in this thread outlines why I did one and why I'm hooked and look forward to my next comp.

I only know the IrishPF though but just to give you an idea, here's the IrishPF calendar for 2019:

http://www.irishpowerliftingfederation.com/calendar/

Anything marked 'open entry' is open to anyone. From novices to national team members and everyone in between. There are 4 opens so far. I'd be surprised if there wasn't another slotted in somewhere down the line.

You can join the 'IrishPF Discussion Group' on Facebook if you want to hear any announcements etc about comps.

Take the plunge. You won't regret it.

I’ll just second everything Alf said, getting up on the platform is just a really cool feeling. Dont think you should wait until your numbers are at a certain level, no one really cares and will cheer on every one of your lifts regardless of level.

I’ve played a number of sports over the years and the environment here is easily the best. I’ve made a number of good friends since I started and everyone I’ve met has been friendly, supportive and helpful.

• Advertisement

Best of luck to Rip and Deano, and indeed anyone else competing in the Munster Open this weekend.

Well today was a mini disaster :pac:.

Got a 250kg squat though :D.

You'll have those days from time to time - the comp i felt my trsining was best was my worst comp.

You'll just build on it and blast an even bigger total next time. You'll have the bit between your teeth for training now as well.

You'll have those days from time to time - the comp i felt my trsining was best was my worst comp.

You'll just build on it and blast an even bigger total next time. You'll have the bit between your teeth for training now as well.

Ah yeah, it happens, more determined than ever for next comp to do myself justice.

To complete the weekend, my sister competed in her first comp today :)

Went 9 for 9, finishing on 82.5/50/105 and coming second in the 52kg class :D.

Handling her was far worse than lifting in terms of nerves!

So anyone else signed up for the IrishPF Connacht Open in a few weeks? Flights just out, lifting 8am on the Saturday, rugby world cup final kicks of at 9am. Tremendous :pac:

i'm all done an dusted with comps for the year - and it was a year to forget comp wise - so hopefully 2020 will be better to me !!

i'll go along to the ABS comps on the 31st Nov / 1st Dec for a look - IPF last chance on saturday and ABS Series III on the sunday - should be a good mix !

whippet wrote: »
    i'm all done an dusted with comps for the year - and it was a year to forget comp wise - so hopefully 2020 will be better to me !!

i'll go along to the ABS comps on the 31st Nov / 1st Dec for a look - IPF last chance on saturday and ABS Series III on the sunday - should be a good mix !

Was planning to go to the Last Chance, there's a friend competing. Hadn't dawned on me the ABS Series was on the next day. Hmmm...

Only competed myself once this year before the upcoming one, did not go well, so hoping this goes better.

So had a cool day at the Connacht Open this morning. Competed in the 105kg class, weighed in 100kg exactly.

Squat 250/265/275kg (25kg PB)
    Bench 122.5/130/135X (5kg PB)
    Deadlift 245/255/267.5kg (2.5kg PB)
    Total 672.5kg (37.5kg total PB, 57.5kg more than April).

Cool to squat 5 plates and over 600lbs, bench starting to move, missed 135kg by like an inch, no idea how I failed so high in the lift, it just stopped. Had only had 4 weeks of conventional since April after having pain issues arise with sumo so amazed with a PB, especially after going 1/3 in April on technical issues.

Also broke 600 IPF points and 400 wilks, so good day all around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭VW 1

Nice numbers, big congrats.

Advertisement