Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Introduction to Sailing (suitable for a 13 year old).

• 05-10-2019 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭

My 13 year daughter would like to take up sailing. Is 13 too young to start? I would be very grateful if someone could recommend a course in Clare or North Tipp. We live close to Lough Derg (Killaloe/Ballina).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭fishy_fishy

To be really honest with you, her being too old would be the concern about her age, if anything. Obviously not too old to ever take it up, but she's at the awkward point of being too old for the beginner courses aimed at juniors but way too young for adult courses.

Most kids start at around 8/9ish, so you'll have to look for a teen programme rather than the normal junior programmes where all the beginners will be so much younger than her.

One option, if you can afford it, would be to get her a few weeks of one to one instruction to catch her up to where she should be, then she can just join in the normal summer courses with other kids her age.

The other is to research around your area and see if you can find a beginner programme specifically for teens. Not sure about the lough derg offerings, so maybe someone from around the area can advise. There are definitely teen beginner programmes in Dublin, so if you've family in Dublin and can't find a course nearby then that's possibly an option?

Alterantively, there are sailing holidays. 2 weeks of sun, sand and sailing. Won't get her 100% caught up, but combine with a bit of 1 to 1 instruction at home and she could slot right in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

Killaloe Sailing Club, just up the road from you has junior sailing at weekends.
    https://www.killaloesailingclub.com/sailing/juniors-section/
    It's a family club and parents would usually help out and attend at these sessions.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭TheFortField

Thanks Guys, I got sorted!

UL Sports Activity Centre run sailing courses for 10 - 17 year olds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

That's great ! I pass there regularly, but didn't realise that they ran courses other than for the university.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭fishy_fishy

Delighted you got sorted, hope she enjoys it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭TheFortField

JamesM wrote: »
    That's great ! I pass there regularly, but didn't realise that they ran courses other than for the university.

I was convinced that it was just a facility for UL students too. However, they offer lots of courses to children (10 - 17) and adults - Sailing, Kayaking, Power boating, Archery, Mountaineering skills etc.

They run summer camps and Saturday adventure camps for children offering an array of water based activities and some land based activities too. They cater for Hen/Stag parties and Team Building days too so there is a lot going on in the place.

Advertisement