Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing 30yrs+ Campervan from UK or EU

• 06-10-2019 7:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi

I'm thinking of getting a Westfalia T25 van next year. I'm interested in this model, both as an actual campervan and as a project. The ones I like are generally late 1980s built.

I was comparing availability and price and it seem sensible to consider importing from UK or Germany.

If, say, I imported a 1988 van and paid, say, 15,000€, what would be implications regarding

1. Import tax, if any
    2. Registering here in Ireland. I believe VRT is high but uncertain if this van would be classified as a classic. If so, what would this mean.
    3. Insurance. How would I insure van if I purchased in Germany and drove back to Ireland via France ferry
    4. Is there classic road tax and would 30yrs+ count as classic
    5. Ditto classic insurance

Thanks for reading this.

Brian

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

From experience I can tell you that the biggest implications for importing an old T25 are going to be:

1. Rust
    2. Hidden Rust (underseal, stonechip, isopon, fibreglass etc)
    3. Bodged rust
    4. Did I mention rust
    5. Gearbox
    6. All Rubber Parts
    7. Sourcing Parts
    etc. etc.

Old vehicles are a vocation for people with either plenty of time or plenty of money. I have fallen foul of believing I had plenty of time myself but ended up with not a lot of holidays as a result.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,047 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

I will be selling my own T25 sometime in the near future, and it wont come with the 1_7 issues above,

It might suit you, fully do'ed, and without the 15k asking price, might suit you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

kadman wrote: »
    I will be selling my own T25 sometime in the near future, and it wont come with the 1_7 issues above,

It might suit you, fully do'ed, and without the 15k asking price, might suit you.

Don't do it you will be sorry :p

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,047 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

I wont, its not used enough to keep it, and i have a beetle and a fastback
    to keep me occupied:p

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

This would be a much better idea than some unknown from rust land.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 bharr

I did in the past and I wasn't sorry. Hopefully the same this time...

From experience I can tell you that the biggest implications for importing an old T25 are going to be:

1. Rust
    2. Hidden Rust (underseal, stonechip, isopon, fibreglass etc)
    3. Bodged rust
    4. Did I mention rust
    5. Gearbox
    6. All Rubber Parts
    7. Sourcing Parts
    etc. etc.

Old vehicles are a vocation for people with either plenty of time or plenty of money. I have fallen foul of believing I had plenty of time myself but ended up with not a lot of holidays as a result.

Thanks for this

I owned a T25, not westy, in the past and a Hymer C46 so aware of these issues.

I'm more interested in practicalities of importing

This would be a much better idea than some unknown from rust land.

Thanks for this. I'm thinking of mid 2020, probably a bit late

• Registered Users Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

bharr wrote: »

If the UK has left the EU by then you could have to pay vat at 23%

• Advertisement
Advertisement