Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transportation boat from Cornwall to Wicklow

• 30-09-2019 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭

Hi I am looking at buying a 25ft open boat in Cornwall not on a trailer
    I would prefer to have it collected instead of bringing an empty trailer all that way and the ferry etc.
    I would welcome any recommendations for cost effective transport.

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 20 aerburdz

connel42 wrote: »
    Hi I am looking at buying a 25ft open boat in Cornwall not on a trailer
    I would prefer to have it collected instead of bringing an empty trailer all that way and the ferry etc.
    I would welcome any recommendations for cost effective transport.

Cost effective transport? I can do better than that. I can suggest a way to get it over for free.

Jump into it in Cornwall and sail it yourself over to Wicklow. The only cost should be supplies onboard etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭nokiatom

aerburdz wrote: »
    Cost effective transport? I can do better than that. I can suggest a way to get it over for free.

Jump into it in Cornwall and sail it yourself over to Wicklow. The only cost should be supplies onboard etc.

It's an open boat, not a sailing boat

• Registered Users Posts: 28,668 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

When we sold our boat, the new owner got Kennedy Transport (who seem to have near monopoly on boat transport in Ireland from what I can tell) to lift the boat, unroadworthy trailer and all, onto a flatbed truck and drive the lot west.

I'd say it wasn't cheap, and if you add transport to a port and ferry charges, who knows where it'd end - but might be worth investigating.

I think they're based in Wicklow somewhere.

But whoever you might use for collection/delivery, they'll either be going from their base country or have to return to it, so might be more economical to borrow a trailer and do it yourself.

I can't imagine any shipping solution for that short a distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

I've used https://www.shiply.com/ to move cars between the east coast of England and Ireland in the past. It's basically a site where you tender for business.

I see they also have an option for boats, might be worth a punt.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

I have used shiply to get a boat back you just fill in all your details and whoever has space and is in the area will put in an offer to do the job then you get to pick who gets the job, mine came with a load of tractors.

DSC00584.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I had a quote last year to move a 26ft sailing boat from Essex to Malahide, and it was about £1,000 - £1,200 sterling (sailing boat with no trailer, including ferry), the guy seemed cheerful enough to do the job.

I'm sure it was this guy: https://www.apolloduck.eu/boat/marine-services-delivery/362028

And also looking on Apollo Duck, I found this crowd in Devon: https://www.apolloduck.eu/boat/marine-services-delivery/508416 They say U.K. wide, but you can always call and ask about the additional hop from Holyhead to Dublin then down to Wicklow..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Whatever you do, do it before the end of the month or you'll have to pay Irish VAT and import tariffs on it.

Advertisement