Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Partial Lunar Eclipse Tue. July 16th

• 15-07-2019 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 25,292 ✭✭✭✭

There will be a 65% partial eclipse of the Moon on Tuesday (16th) next. The eclipse will have begun and the Moon will be in the Earth's shadow (umbra) by the time it rises over Ireland at about 9:40 p.m. All times Irish (UTC+1).

The Moon will start to enter the Earth's shadow at 9:01 p.m. but it doesn't rise until 9:41 p.m. over Dublin (later in the west) so you won't see anything until about 10 p.m. when you should look very low in the south-east. If you can see the Moon, about 50% of it will be in the Earth's shadow at 10 p.m. and maximum eclipse is at 10:32 p.m. when 65% of the Moon will be eclipsed. The Moon will then gradually move out of the shadow, exiting at midnight.

A reminder that as it's only a few weeks since the Summer Solstice, the Full Moon will be very low in the sky so don't look up, look down, low in the south-east. At maximum eclipse at 22:32, the Moon will be less than 5 degress above the horizon. If you want to plan ahead, do a sky survey and see if you can find the Moon this evening (Mon. 15th) at about 21:45, that's the spot it will be at in the sky on Tue. 16th at maximum eclipse.

https://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/LEplot/LEplot2001/LE2019Jul16P.pdf

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

coylemj wrote: »
    There will be a 65% partial eclipse of the Moon on Tuesday (16th) next. The eclipse will have begun and the Moon will be in the Earth's shadow (umbra) by the time it rises over Ireland at about 9:40 p.m. All times Irish (UTC+1).

The Moon will start to enter the Earth's shadow at 9:01 p.m. but it doesn't rise until 9:41 p.m. over Dublin (later in the west) so you won't see anything until about 10 p.m. when you should look very low in the south-east. If you can see the Moon, about 50% of it will be in the Earth's shadow at 10 p.m. and maximum eclipse is at 10:32 p.m. when 65% of the Moon will be eclipsed. The Moon will then gradually move out of the shadow, exiting at midnight.

A reminder that as it's only a few weeks since the Summer Solstice, the Full Moon will be very low in the sky so don't look up, look down, low in the south-east. At maximum eclipse at 22:32, the Moon will be less than 5 degress above the horizon. If you want to plan ahead, do a sky survey and see if you can find the Moon this evening (Mon. 15th) at about 21:45, that's the spot it will be at in the sky on Tue. 16th at maximum eclipse.

https://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/LEplot/LEplot2001/LE2019Jul16P.pdf

Anyone who is lucky enough to have clear skies will be able to see the ISS crossing very close to the eclipsing Moon at approx 22:08.

Cloudy here in the midlands unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Just managed to take a really crappy picture, but I was lucky to see it at all, - it was in a narrow gap between two neighbouring suburban roofs.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Hoof_Hearted

I have a stunning view here in Newcastle, Wicklow. Missed the ISS, my alert said after midnight :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

I have a stunning view here in Newcastle, Wicklow. Missed the ISS, my alert said after midnight :(

It was a brief pass as it was crossing North Africa and just skirted our horizon coincidentally where the moon was rising! Pity was cloudy here.

I use http://www.isstracker.com/ - just unclick ISS centred if you want to move around the map.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

didn't see the lunar eclipse ...too cloudy in the mid-west:(

did i miss much?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,292 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Visible ISS passes are very common at this time of the year as the sun is not far below the horizon. Heavens Above Pro on a mobile will show you the pass in realtime.

Advertisement