Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

17-04-2009, 23:26   #16
Bonavox

Send a message via MSN to Bonavox
A cheap, but good mic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aridstarling View Post
I'd just like to say a little about microphone choices as this can be a bit of a minefield when starting out. Its not a huge deal with most electronic music but for songwiters and bands it is of utmost importance.

First of all I would say set aside some budget for a good Large Diaphram Condenser (LDC). These are the large mics you see used in studios on vocals and acoustic instruments. This will be probably be your go to mic for vocals if you want that more expressive, clean sound. I would recommend the SE 2200A as a starting point (I use it myself) also the likes of Audio-Technica and Rode do some very good entry-level condensers in the same price range.

Next I would recommend a good Dynamic mic, industry standard being the Shure SM57 and SM58. Both are great, versitile mics that will rarely if ever let you down. The SM57 is an instrument mic, used all the time on guitar amps and snare dums in studios all over the world and on stage. The SM58 is usually used as a vocal mic, mainly for Rock/Metal vocals as it seems to have an edginess to it. I know the vocals on the newest AC/DC album were done almost entirely with a 58. Also very useful on the toms toms of a drumkit Again there are plenty of alternatives and it helps a lot if you can try them out, some more popular brands being AKG (The D112 is an industry-standard for kick drums and bass cabs) and Behringer (despite a somewhat lowly reputation, not all Behringer products are cack). A few good dynamic mics really go a long way when recording.

After that you're choices become less obvious and more dependant on your specific situation (and budget). Some considerations would be small diaphram condensers for acoustic instuments or drum overheads, valve mics for vocals, ribbon mics again used a lot on drum overheads. The choice is endless or should I say, limited only by your budget! I would say that a good set of versatile mics and knowing what each is suitable for is one of the most critical aspects of recording (either at home or in a studio) and would have you ready for almost any situation you find yourself in when recording.
I would just like to say that if you're starting off, and are not sure whether production is for you, then start off with a small budget.

I would recommend the Behringer XM8500, as a cheap dynamic mic to start off with, it has a nice, stury metal case, and is a great quality mic for its low price.

Hope this helps.
Advertisement
04-06-2009, 10:30   #17

I myself use Pro Tools and i think it's great for beginners to get the basics of it. Plus nowadays there are a load of great audio interfaces available with decent preamps. M-audio's Fasttrack ultra offers 8 inputs and preamps for a great price.
Also no home studio should be without a condenser microphone. Theres loads of good budget condensers. One of the best i find is the Audio Technica at2020, its inexpensive and even comes in a usb version! I've also used Behriger B1 and B2's and i have to say i'm not a fan of them at all.
Bottom line is theres loads of good cheap equipment available these days and software makes polishing up songs easier.
05-08-2009, 17:09   #18

Looking for an opinion on the following for a home studio setup, looks pretty good for the price, am I missing something?

http://www.thomann.de/ie/alesis_multimix_16usb.htm
26-04-2011, 12:32   #19
PaulBrewer

All you need to know about mics ...

Here's a good 'beginners guide to mics' from our friends at Sontronics.

http://www.sontronics.com/advice.htm
Thanks from:
22-06-2012, 00:38   #20

Reaper is a great low cost DAW, i think it's 30 days free trail after which you get reminders to register for $60 but it remains functional without registration if thats your thing.

Use youtube tutorials, there's a ton of these for pretty much every element of recording, the quality varies but if you spend a little time you'll find some great help.

Be patient, some people seem to be able to mix well really quickly for others it takes time. Don't get despondent if for the first few years your mixes don't sound great, it may be slow progress but you'll be improving all the time.
Advertisement
18-09-2012, 14:44   #21
Ste Ryan

Wow this is really helpful Thumbs up!
06-06-2019, 10:25   #23
The Inpatient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurojazz View Post
Forward

Well, since that CUBASE used to run like a dream on the Atari ST - I cannot even comprehend the lack of testing in these companies - or is it PC manufacturers? - we will never know, because we can't see what is happening in our PC's.
I used to own an Atari ST with Cubase many years ago, i think i will reinstall an emulator of the ST and revisit Cubase of old, i made some really cool compositions with it way back.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion