Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Say NO to 1890

• 24-04-2008 2:41pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi

Mod's please move if not relevant.

While searching today for an alternative number to an 1890 number I came across Saynoto1890 same idea as Saynoto0870 not sure how long is been operating so doesn't have lots of number on it but enough to save us some Eur, in most cases we can dial the alternative number from a mobile phone or home phone and be include in the contracted tariff so no need to pay extra as you would for the 1890 or 1850 call.

Regards

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

excellent find. now i dont have to oay to call the AIB 24 Hour Banking number. Maybe a mod could move this to bargain alerts as this will save money for people who call these number from mobiles.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Beano wrote: »
    excellent find. now i dont have to oay to call the AIB 24 Hour Banking number. Maybe a mod could move this to bargain alerts as this will save money for people who call these number from mobiles.

with aib you can call 01 667 0024

edit: i really should have looked at the site rather than just reading the first paragraph :D i can see now that that number is there already

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Great find. The site has good potential

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Excellent find. It is good to top those greedy companies from getting more of our hard earned money.

The only problem is like in the UK the companies may get wise to people bypassing the 1890 numbers and they will change the geographic numbers so we have to go back to the 1890 numbers.

Remember that for some companies 1890 numbers are a major revenue generator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 macshaned

Thanks for the positive feedback on the site folks. The information will only be as good as the numbers that we're provided by users of the site.

There's contact details on the site, so if you know of other alternative numbers, e-mail us and we'll publish them as soon as we get them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Remember that for some companies 1890 numbers are a major revenue generator.

They are a revenue generator for the telecoms companies, not the companies that have 1890 numbers, who have to pay for them.

If that is the case why not use a real phone number?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 macshaned

Some comments here on why companies use these kind of numbers.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

If that is the case why not use a real phone number?
    I thought it was just the 15xx premium numbers where the revenue can be made.

Mental block my arse. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

pfft I say, they actually suggest people ring NTL's 01 number
    Gets general sales/billing - 1800 234 234
    free from mobiles and landlines in Ireland :)

In that case yes. 1800 numbers cost the company big money. I have no problem using 1800 numbers.

It's the 1850/1890/0818 I have a problem with.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

It's the 1850/1890/0818 I have a problem with.

I hate these, they add about 15-20% to my bill every month, i have mad a habit of only storing the +3531 numbers etc into my phone book. Never realised how much you spend till you look at the bill

• Registered Users Posts: 18,897 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

oh well ye forgot to say that,, any minutes package never includes these prefixes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭pprendeville

format of this has been changed which makes it very difficult to find numbers now.

"
    Recently I made some changes to the website to make it more searchable – either for company names or for actual telephone numbers. My hope was to make the site a lot more user friendly.

However, in the weeks since I made the changes, I received numerous e-mails from people complaining about the changes made and requesting that I change the website to it’s previous “A-Z” listing format.

Unfortunately, I’m not going to do this. as well as making the website more user friendly, I also made the change to protect the information that I have gathered on the site over the past 3 years...."

http://www.valueireland.com/2011/01/saynoto1890-com-about-the-recent-website-changes/

Silly silly boy imho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

it seems like it started as an idea to help everyone out and get those alternative numbers out there, now he doesn't want them all out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,809 ✭✭✭phill106

I think they mentioned it on raydarcy this morning, crashed now!

Advertisement