Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Historic Dublin Pictures & Videos Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭HydeRoad

Three of the surviving D type Atlantean buses of CIE, preserved in the three different colour
    schemes they carried during their working lives, D44, D415 and D376.

photograph-of-three-cie-alas-atlantean-buses.jpg

D44 carries the original navy blue and cream colour scheme these buses carried when new. It is
    scrolled up for the long defunct route 35 to McKee Road in Finglas. Now who here is old enough
    to remember that route?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭dylbert

Great thread everyone, keep up the good work , can't wait to show this to my mother, she's from Marrowbone Lane, my Dad's from East Wall and my Granddad used to own a chipper in Ballybough.
    Would anybody have some old pictures of Marrowbone Lane by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Rashers

And here's the last two installments about Dublin work horses.

As part 4 doesn't show much of the streets of Dublin.....

... I'll include part 5 here... the final part.

Continuing from where I left off last month... here

My Dublin by the late Eamon MacThomais.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

look at that size of that guy

mentions the bad traffic on college green

ha he says trinity is backwards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,948 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Tenament children pictured in Henrietta Street in 1965. (It's hard to believe that those tenaments existed there until the 1970s).

TenamentChildrenHenriettaStreet1965.jpg

St Stephen's Green - 1965.

MotherChildrenStStephensGreen1965.jpg

The Coombe - 1965

GirlBicycleTheCoombe1965.jpg

Junction of Reginald Street and Gray Street - 1965. (Some of those children would be in their 50's now!)

ChildrenReginaldStreetGrayStreet196.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 24,948 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Here's a 2007 image of the previous pic in Reginald/Gray Street. The roof of the Sacred Heart (Shrine?) appears to have been changed since 1965.

ReginaldStreetGrayStreet.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,007 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Great pics Wishbone.
    The shrine in Reginald St. certainly looked a lot better in 1965. wonder what all the yellow ribbons are for?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Perhaps the yellow ribbons are to celibrate the glory of the moving statue?

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Here's a 2007 image of the previous pic in Reginald/Gray Street. The roof of the Sacred Heart (Shrine?) appears to have been changed since 1965.

ReginaldStreetGrayStreet.jpg

I seem to have a memory of this being hit by a truck some time in the 1970s :confused:... it was left in a state for some time.

• Advertisement

Continuing My Dublin by Eamonn MacThomais... part 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

I'm hoping all you knowledgeable people here might be able to help me with this one :)

My dad's family have this photo proudly framed as my great granddad took it in Dublin, but do you think any of them can tell me when or where it was? :rolleyes:

Anyone any ideas? Even a timeframe? It's a photo of a photo so I can't get any closer to the street sign. I can see what I think is a jewellers in the background. I THINK it's a tram? It doesn't look to have the shape at the front of a bus. And I'm nearly sure that's tram lines on the ground.

You can see it a bit better on the pix.ie site if you enlarge it (click the photo)

8A13B3AD7B884A05B5150A6E4F3EE6D7-800.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Anto McC

If i was guessing i'd say it's St Stephens Green, just where it comes into Merrion Row.

Anto McC wrote: »
    If i was guessing i'd say it's St Stephens Green, just where it comes into Merrion Row.

Yeah?

Cause there was a tram crash there on the corner at Merrion Square in 1914, but they said it was a double decker, and I can't tell from that picture.

The Irish Times said it collided with a car, skidded of the tracks and overturned on the corner

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

That's a double decker tram in that picture. Here's a picture of what a similar one looked like 'standing up'.
    D.U.T.C. tram

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Trafford Lad

Anyone any ideas?
    8A13B3AD7B884A05B5150A6E4F3EE6D7-800.jpg[/quote]

Hi, to me it looks like the junction at Lower Fitzwilliam St & Merrion Square...where the ESB Head Office is..just at the end of that street at the traffic lights? I walk by it every day on the way to work!

Hi, to me it looks like the junction at Lower Fitzwilliam St & Merrion Square...where the ESB Head Office is..just at the end of that street at the traffic lights? I walk by it every day on the way to work!

That's the right area alright, and it makes sense cause I know my g-grandad was living near Pembroke St at the time.

Here are the two articles from the Times, does it fit?

spurious wrote: »
    That's a double decker tram in that picture. Here's a picture of what a similar one looked like 'standing up'.
    D.U.T.C. tram

By the way, how ironic that that tram has a poster saying "Donnelly's Dublin Bacon", cause that's my family's name and they ran a grocers/butchers and had ads in the Times for their meat :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Alicat wrote: »
    That's the right area alright, and it makes sense cause I know my g-grandad was living near Pembroke St at the time.

Here are the two articles from the Times, does it fit?

Looks like that's the right one OK.
    They certainly knew how to report accidents in those days. Gripping reading.:)

spurious wrote: »
    Looks like that's the right one OK.
    They certainly knew how to report accidents in those days. Gripping reading.:)

I know, talk about drama :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭whoami1

A very impressive collection of photos.

Does anyone have any of Clondalkin Village (Monastery Road, Main Street, etc)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 ChrisSullivan

What a fantastic site this is; I'm not going to be able to get any work done for a week looking back at all the comments and photographs.
    I came upon it as I'm writing a novel with parts set in Dublin and I wanted to remember what it looked like from the top of the pillar; the last time I was up there was in 1964 and I seem to remember wire around the top to stop anybody from jumping.
    I wrote a song called The Coombe which is about many Dublin characters - Bang Bang, Fluther Good, Hairy Lemon, Biddy Mulligan - all coming back as ghosts and dancing down The Coombe - take a look: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15diqLsdK_M

I'm very interested in Ballybough House in Poplar Row - were these corporation flats?
    They are on a lot of the Sullivan family photos from when I was a child as my uncle John was the barber in the barber shop opposite with my granny and granddad living in the house behind.
    I never got to go into any of the flats and I wondered what they were like, did they employ cleaners to clean the outside of the place and things like that.
    Was it a good place to live or was it terrible - I've often wondered. Anybody out there ever live there?

I'm very interested in Ballybough House in Poplar Row - were these corporation flats?
    They are on a lot of the Sullivan family photos from when I was a child as my uncle John was the barber in the barber shop opposite with my granny and granddad living in the house behind.
    I never got to go into any of the flats and I wondered what they were like, did they employ cleaners to clean the outside of the place and things like that.
    Was it a good place to live or was it terrible - I've often wondered. Anybody out there ever live there?

I didn't actually live there, but close by. In fact I think the row of houses you speak of (where your Uncle's barber shop was) is the same row of houses where I met a girl for our first date (she's now my wife)... outside a little shop between the lights at Ballybough Rd and Annesley Place... where the piece of wasteground is in the photo.

The flats themselves were small on the inside. They overlooked the Tolka. (Aren't they still there as seen in the photo below?)

Caretakers took cleaned the outside of the flats and the tenants were obliged to keep their own living area clean and tidy.

At the time I speak of it was a good place to live with a strong community spirit.

If you happen to have a photo of the houses I speak of (where the waste ground is) I'd love to see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭ Javon Tasty Manger

I've no idea about the history behind Ballybough Hse, or Popular Row but I take it you haven't been around in awhile.

If you like I'll take some photos around the area tomorrow and post 'em up, let me know.

Rashers wrote: »
    I didn't actually live there, but close by. In fact I think the row of houses you speak of (where your Uncle's barber shop was) is the same row of houses where I met a girl for our first date (she's now my wife)... outside a little shop between the lights at Ballybough Rd and Annesley Place... where the piece of wasteground is in the photo.

The flats themselves were small on the inside. They overlooked the Tolka. (Aren't they still there as seen in the photo below?)

Caretakers took cleaned the outside of the flats and the tenants were obliged to keep their own living area clean and tidy.

At the time I speak of it was a good place to live with a strong community spirit.

If you happen to have a photo of the houses I speak of (where the waste ground is) I'd love to see it.

Hi rashers,

I'll have a good look at some of the old photos but I think most of them taken from that direction would be in front of the shop only - O'Sullivan's - I do have a photo from 1947 of my dad with me and my younger brother; you can see in the background the top of the flats and they seem to be overlooking the history of my very early years.

As I have said on another post I am writing a novel set around the 50s and the flats play a big part in it and your information so far is very gratefully received.

I presume that the flats overlooking the Tolka were on the corner of Poplar Row and Ballybough Road.

The other thing I can't seem to remember - and I was over there in March and April but couoldn't work it out - was which street McCann's Pub and Roaches was on - was it North Strand Road or Ballybough Road?

Anyway I hope you like the photo.

Chris.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭mobby

whoami1 wrote: »
    A very impressive collection of photos.

Does anyone have any of Clondalkin Village (Monastery Road, Main Street, etc)?
    Posted this on another tread looking for info on it . Anyone know the story on this short clip?

I've no idea about the history behind Ballybough Hse, or Popular Row but I take it you haven't been around in awhile.

If you like I'll take some photos around the area tomorrow and post 'em up, let me know.

Hi Javon Tasty Manger,

I think any photos of the area would be great and I'd love to see them.

I was there twice this year for a few days each time as I was over in London working and with the Irish passport and Ryanair what's to stop me?

When I was a child the distance between Ballybough Road and North Strand Road along Poplar Row was about 100 miles and now I'm grown up it's about 100 yards - all these things are a great shock to your system when your big world as a kid turns out to be no bigger than a back yard.

When I was there I tried to find Roaches pub - it was near a railway bridge when I was about 20 and also McCann's which at one time was called The Fluther Good; the photo of Fluther Good behind the bar, by the way, was from my uncle's barber shop. I don't know how it got it there or even where it went but it did.

Anyway give my best to Dublin and I'd love to see some photos of the area - by the way I had a relative who worked in a bookies near there - any idea?

Many thanks.

Chris.

latenia wrote: »
    flynnc8 wrote: »
    poor3.jpg

ha ha, ya dont see crowds like that anymore.....

A bit of a smarmy patronising caption there. How prevalent was contraception anywhere in 1950?

I stayed in Finglas for a while as a kid and I remember going to 11.00 mass and there were loads of us walking like as if you were going to a football match these days.

Coming the other way was the priest and instead of being delighted at his full house he was giving out the pay ranting 'where were all these people at eight o clock this morning? where were they?' It frightened the life out of me.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

The Barber shop was owned by a guy called Jo Moran wasnt it? i think someone related to him was still doing the trade in the area in recent years.

the only train bridge i can think of in the area there would be the one leading into what is now courtney place flats.

In the left side background you can see ballybough house and on the other side of those is the tolka river. theres also popular row flats which used to he a huge complex in the area behind this pub and all the way up towards the train bridge. a redevolopment took place a few years ago and only 2 of the blocks remain but are tarted up to lok modern.

Ballybough house itself was built in the 40-50s i think and about 4-5 years ago the government pumped a lot of money into a redevolopment of the complex. not long afterwards the residents were in the media complaining about the conditions they were living in with dampness from the river next to them and with poor drainage causing multiple flats to flood if one had a blockage. The council were looking at rehousing the tenants and demolishing the flats to make room for a more modern alternative.

3799677290_48c870239e_b.jpg

Used to be able to walk alongside this bridge all the way from ballybough rd down to the north strand end of spring garden street.
    Just past the bus stop in the left of this picture there used to be an Egg shop, maybe that might ring a bell for you?
    3798856553_4e5c63ee18_b.jpg

Advertisement