Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cover for attic water tank

• 16-02-2019 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

The water tank in my attic is currently covered by a few pieces of wood.

I'm trying to get a proper cover for it. I'd like one that is fairly good quality as when it refills it can be noisy.

The measurements are 106x56.5 cm

I've searched online but am not having any luck of where to go.

There's no visible brand on the tank so can't even go to the manufacturer website.

Any suggestions appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Yes get an off cut of foil backed XPS insulation and make a lid from that, 50mm should do fine. Plastic lids you buy have no insulation, just a cover. Other option is to buy a plastic lid and put some attic insulation over the top of it

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Latro

Same as DublinDilbert I did my cover out of aluminum backed XPS board scrap off-cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Joe Exotic

Thanks for the advice makes sense i suppose

Is this the stuff you talking about?

https://www.build4less.ie/xtratherm-thin-r-50mm-floor-insulation.html

So if i get a section slightly bigger that my Tank and cut out a grove all around for the edges then tape it up that should do the trick.

It would then fit on top snugly

Any tips on cleaning out the tank ? may as well do it at the same time
    I assume just drain it and clean out the muck !!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Browndoff

There is a SUBSTANTIALLY easier way to clean out your cold tank! Pass the end of your garden hose up into the attic - with the other end stuck into a drain. Fill a jug or a bottle with water from the attic tank and pour it into the free end of the hose and then put your thumb over the end to prevent air getting into the hose [that will prevent the water from falling through the hose to the drain before you're ready].
    When you have about 750mm of the hose filled with water, this will want to fall through the hose and create SUCTION so that you can use the free end of the hose like a vacuum-cleaner to sweep out the bottom of the cold-water-tank.
    The downside is that this will raise clouds of dust in the water and you may have to pause occasionally to allow the dust to settle. Any time you stop, just seal the free end of the hose with your thumb [YES, it WILL suck fiercely on your poor thumb!] to maintain the vacuum required to do the job.

Good Luck, Browndoff

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Idioteque

Don't know if it's too late but I just made a cover for mine - like you it was very noisy when refilling - it's now completely silent...wasn't expecting it to work that well!

I've a circular tank. I just bought two pieces of 12mm Plywood (1.2M x .6M) which fit fine though my attic opening. Also bought this and then stapled two layers of it to the underside of each sheet of Ply.

I then just placed the two halves over the tank so they overlap at the sides and meet flush in the middle (after coring small hole for an overflow that came in from above).

Tank is fully covered and silent. All done for ~€45 but I'm sure it could probably be done cheaper. Granted it doesn't look as neat as a lid but I don't expect visitors having a gander at our water tank any time soon :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Joe Exotic

Idioteque wrote: »
    Don't know if it's too late but I just made a cover for mine - like you it was very noisy when refilling - it's now completely silent...wasn't expecting it to work that well!

I've a circular tank. I just bought two pieces of 12mm Plywood (1.2M x .6M) which fit fine though my attic opening. Also bought this and then stapled two layers of it to the underside of each sheet of Ply.

I then just placed the two halves over the tank so they overlap at the sides and meet flush in the middle (after coring small hole for an overflow that came in from above).

Tank is fully covered and silent. All done for ~€45 but I'm sure it could probably be done cheaper. Granted it doesn't look as neat as a lid but I don't expect visitors having a gander at our water tank any time soon :D

Perfect ill try it in the next week or so

Thanks

Advertisement