Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Euromillions- what would your family get?!

• 06-02-2020 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭snowgal

Hi all, myself and OH having a chat tonight about what we’d do if we won the €130 million jackpot tomorrow. ( I mean with giving money to family/friends only not all the rest you’d spend it on) We’re from very different backgrounds family wise, he is an only child and both his mother and father have passed away and not really close with any other family. I’m the opposite with a bigger family all close and they all have kids etc. I thought I’d probably give them 2 million each (five families in total) and then I’d give my close friends a million each (about 10 ppl) and a good portion to various charities. OH was very surprised it’d be that much, I thought it could be more with that amount won. What would you do? :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Rufeo

Id disappear. Like Jason Bourne.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,131 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

cara4-482x320.jpg?itok=1511120669

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,853 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

What did all the previous winners of the Euromillions do? The only idiots we hear about are British imo.

Sorry to say it, but it's true, they sell their story to get more.

It is Europe wide don't forget, and many want to remain anonymous. And do. They have brains.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,247 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

My family would get a postcard from some tropical paradise far away. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

They'd get a lovely, huge house. Never have to iron, clean or cook ever again! Waited on hand and foot!

Cos I'd throw them all into the cheapest retirement home I can find!! !! !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,060 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

they would get a postcard from the bahamas

• Registered Users Posts: 30,022 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

A carvery.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,779 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Truthfully , wouldn't have a clue how much to give them , you'd have to think about it carefully .
    I'd make sure they all had their own houses first though , so they wouldn't have to worry about that , and then I'd sit down with a mug of Carte Noir instant coffee and ponder the rest :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Rufeo

I mist go out and buy some Carte Noir. Hah. All i can think about is David Ginola now.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭TheBully

A family member of mine won a substantial amount, sorted out one sister and shut the rest of her family out. Lied to her father on his death bed that she had won anything.
    Her brothers and sisters wanted nothing off her but in fear that she may have to give them something she cut them out of their lives and tore the family apart and to this day still lies about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Snails pace

TheBully wrote: »
    A family member of mine won a substantial amount, sorted out one sister and shut the rest of her family out. Lied to her father on his death bed that she had won anything.
    Her brothers and sisters wanted nothing off her but in fear that she may have to give them something she cut them out of their lives and tore the family apart and to this day still lies about it.

Gaining a substantial amount of money in short notice would give you mental health problems, you would over think every little thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭TheBully

Gaining a substantial amount of money in short notice would give you mental health problems, you would over think every little thing.

Yup, I think that’s what’s happened, it’s been a small few years now and still won’t admit she won, and the sister she sorted only got money if she swore to secrecy.

They are welcome to it, they were all once a large seriously close family, that they have torn apart. There is plenty of brothers and sisters though so the rest of them have remained tight while the others have lost family

• My parents would never have to lift a finger again. Live-in nurse, cook and cleaner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭chrissb8

I genuinely think it would ruin me. I would have to put it to some good use as a foundation or scholarship programme. I would feel massively at an unease having that much money.

Of course, I would do whatever the hell I wanted for the first 10 years, dream house built, sort family & friends out, experiences, holidays etc. Put some to the side as well, but eventually, I would just get worn out having it hang over my head and define the relationships with people in my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,150 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Sisters/brothers would get fcuk all. I'd blow millions on holidays bookers and coke and leave the rest to my kids

I’d pay off one brothers mortgage and minor debts and buy another his own place if he wanted it. My mother would have anything she’d need or want, if money could buy it. A small number of friends would become mortgage and debt free too. They’d all have a one-time only deposit into an emergency fund account, with the clear understanding that there’d be no point asking for more in future as it simply wouldn’t be available.

Everything else would go into diversified mutual funds held in trust and be used to provide for a very comfortable retirement income for myself and the missus, with an income top up for only those people referred to above once they hit 60 years of age.

Nobody else would get so much as the steam off my piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭snowgal

Yea I think so too. It could end up causing such hassle in Families. What’s enough, why didn’t we get more etc I’d say it’s a head wreck! OH and I couldn’t even agree what we’d give, never mind telling family what they’d get! Prob will never have to worry but interested what others might do...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

You dont need to "give" friends a fortune!

Id set up a fund, where all mortgages and electric and general bills are paid from, this would allow them to live extremely comfortably and also allow you to keep them on the straight and narrow ;)

I would have 8 or 9 people on that list.

Id buy my parents a huge house, as thats what my mam would want, with lots of gardens for her to potter about in to keep her happy, and gardners to do do the labour as she is pushing on.

Id ask my sister what she wants - and I havnt a clue what that would be!

I have my house picked out, near the sea for the summer fish species and its own trout lakes if im too lazy to go down the beach. Id throw huge monthly or fortnightly parties as me and the oh are very into dancing but this would be run as a business!

After that I presume holidays etc

If all goes tits up however with the coronavirus a lot of walls would be built and a collection of high powered weapons and security installed.

Five million to each of my three brothers and parents to do with what they like. Most property / assets I'd buy would go into a family trust to be shared and used. Think ski lodge / NY apartment / yacht. I'd be like the financial head of the family.

Friends wouldn't get much, and it would come significantly later based on how things went.

I ask myself, "If X won the Euromillions, would X give me anything?".

Most people I know are only in contact if they are looking for something. Such people wouldn't get a cent off me. Other people I know that actually make time for me and don't always have their hand out, would be well looked after. If I won €130m I'd give them about €3m each. Enough that they'd never have to worry again, but that it also wouldn't make a massive dent in my own funds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,845 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

On 130 million, we'd give about 8 million each to our respective brothers and sisters (6 in total) so just shy of 40%. Whatever is left of that 40% would go to aunts/uncles/friends etc. 10% to charity and we'd have the rest.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I think for my safety and their own good I wouldn't tell anyone. I'd try start a few businesses(Cafe, art school etc) give them jobs and pay them a high salary. Buy a house and let them rent it for cheap, eventually just giving them the home.

For family with already successful jobs I'd just give them a few grand at Christmas and birthdays and what not.

Who's to say that they wouldn't blow the money, get in debt and then have gangsters at my door.

My family are so bad with money I think I'd need to protect them from themselves.

I haven't done the lottery in a decade. Can I buy a ticket online from outside the EU? I fancy some daydreaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Smart Bug

Revenge.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

1st thing would be to say nothing......

Wait til the Irish lotto is won to the tune of 3-6m and the winner remains anonymous, then come out and tell most folks you were the winner. Then you could share with closest family the truth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

As much as they wanted/needed.

Once you go past a certain point, it all just becomes f*ck you money anyway!

If you gets what I mean, dawg! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

On 130 million, we'd give about 8 million each to our respective brothers and sisters (6 in total) so just shy of 40%. Whatever is left of that 40% would go to aunts/uncles/friends etc. 10% to charity and we'd have the rest.

Anything over €32,500 to siblings, and €16,250 to other relatives is taxed at 33%. Capital Acquisitions/Inheritence Tax

Any payments of mortgages, loans etc WHEN found out, treated the same.

So basically, if person not named on the ticket, and you give them anything, they lose 1/3 of it to tax.

Not a big deal when jackpot is €130,000000 but worth thinking about for smaller Irish lotto jackpot.

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

Anything over €32,500 to siblings, and €16,250 to other relatives is taxed at 33%. Capital Acquisitions/Inheritence Tax

Any payments of mortgages, loans etc WHEN found out, treated the same.

So basically, if person not named on the ticket, and you give them anything, they lose 1/3 of it to tax.

Not a big deal when jackpot is €130,000000 but worth thinking about for smaller Irish lotto jackpot.

Can you open joint bank accounts with family members and let them have a debit card to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Vittu

Peter & Bridie from Cavan wins the lotto big time. When all the hullabaloo dies down and it's just himself and the wife in the kitchen, Bridie looks at him and says "jaysus Peter what about the begging letters". Peter paused for a moment considering this and says to Bridie "keep sending them"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

It's been discussed in this house many times, between her family and my family there's 10 (including herself and myself).

Pot gets split 10 ways, so everyone gets an even cut.
    Trust fund set up for kids, randomly pay off people's mortgages, starting with extended family and friends.
    Start leaving lump sums of cash outside homes of people that may benefit from it (randomers that you encounter who are obviously struggling)

If my memory is correct on 130m the interest earned per day/week is about 250k .... So if nothing is done for a few weeks the lump just gets bigger and bigger (more to divide up).

All family members are sworn to secrecy about the earnings... Anyone admits they are part of a syndicate will be putting the lives of every family member in danger, this will be drilled into each of them at a meeting - where they are told of the situation. Each person will be given a story to tell people about new wealth....stick to the script, learn it, live it and enjoy your new life.

Because the split includes payments to myself and my wife, we earn twice what the other families get....it was our ticket in the first place, neither of our families know about our plan to include them as part of a syndicate should we win.

Advertisement