Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Free Google Nest Mini for Youtube Premium and Google Play Music Members

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Notdeco

Thanks op, ordered mine at 8:15 this morning. Just got a msg that it will be here tomorrow by 6.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

I got mine delivered by DPD today

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Stylesclash07

Got three delivered today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Got mine today too. Have five in the house already so it'll go in one of the spare rooms. Thought about giving it to the in laws as a present but don't think I've the patience to do 24/7 tech support for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭BKWDR

I'd be fairly handy knowing that Google is tracking all my net use and selling my data to whomever. But does this not seem a bit *too good* to be true. As in they are now just GIVING people microphones in their house for free on the basis it plays a few songs or what not. Like it's listening to you 24/7

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

BKWDR wrote: »
    I'd be fairly handy knowing that Google is tracking all my net use and selling my data to whomever. But does this not seem a bit *too good* to be true. As in they are now just GIVING people microphones in their house for free on the basis it plays a few songs or what not. Like it's listening to you 24/7

The one in the giveaway has a physical switch you can turn the microphone off. I know most people won't bother, but option is there.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

We know, it's all opt in like all of Google's services

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Nah I know, sure we're all walking around with a 24/7 microphone in our pockets. But when they start giving these things to people for free it's a bit 'wow'

Nah I know, sure we're all walking around with a 24/7 microphone in our pockets. But when they start giving these things to people for free it's a bit 'wow'

Nobody cares!

Someone didn’t get one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I got another free one, can you claim on each family member who has Google Play Family under the one subscription?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Brilliant BA. Thanks OP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Ours landed in Shannon and was forwarded for delivery. From previous experience it'll either return and the attempted delivery excuse will be used or it'll go to Newport Co Tipp instead of Mayo.
    Previously they passed it onto Fastway which are useless, hoping they switched to DPD instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Was due for today so I redirected it to a collection point. Never got loaded onto the van. Hopefully tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭gabbo is coming

ED E wrote: »
    Was due for today so I redirected it to a collection point. Never got loaded onto the van. Hopefully tomorrow.

Got my 2, not to look a gift horse in the mouth, but you cant link it to your phone, make and receive calls. What's the point of it!!

"Google, what time is match on"?

Meh

Got my 2, not to look a gift horse in the mouth, but you cant link it to your phone, make and receive calls. What's the point of it!!

"Google, what time is match on"?

Meh

It's what you make of it!!

Here's a few things for starters. Ask it play music, play radio channels, link your TV and make yourTV play X show on Netflix, make your TV change channel or increase volume, tell it to turn on, off or dim your lights, turn on the christmas tree lights socket, tell it turn off all devices, set reminders, set timers, ask it questions

• Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

"Ok Google, remind me on Tuesday to do x" is fierce handy when you're a forgetful f;cker.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭Alkers

Just ordered

• Registered Users Posts: 51,103 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I have 5 of these in various rooms around the house. You can setup a home hub and control things like compatible smart bulbs, smart sockets, chrome cast on a dumb tv and even your home's smart heating system. You can also link it to your music streaming accounts such as Spotify, Deezer, etc. It will pretty much do similar to what Amazon's Alexa does.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭bunderoon

bazz26 wrote: »
    I have 5 of these in various rooms around the house. You can setup a home hub and control things like compatible smart bulbs, smart sockets, chrome cast on a dumb tv and even your home's smart heating system. You can also link it to your music streaming accounts such as Spotify, Deezer, etc. It will pretty much do similar to what Amazon's Alexa does.

Just curious, do you find them spying on you?I mean, donyou find targeted ads in your internet searches or YouTube about stuff you happen to talk about in your house?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,103 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

bunderoon wrote: »
    Just curious, do you find them spying on you?I mean, donyou find targeted ads in your internet searches or YouTube about stuff you happen to talk about in your house?

No more than the mic on your smart phone listening to your conversations or your GPS telling them your location. I actually pity them if they are listening to the conversations in my house. :P

Seriously though, everything we do these days is gathered as information and used/passed on in some way so you can either accept it or be paranoid about it, not much else you can do other than ditch all technology and go live on the dark side of the moon.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭bunderoon

bazz26 wrote: »
    No more than the mic on your smart phone listening to your conversations or your GPS telling them your location. I actually pity them if they are listening to the conversations in my house. :P

Seriously though, everything we do these days is gathered as information and used/passed on in some way so you can either accept it or be paranoid about it, not much else you can do other than ditch all technology and go live on the dark side of the moon.

I know our phones do. I've tested it a few times by talking about needing cat food in the shopping (we don't have a cat) and the next few days, ads for cat food a d related stuff appear on our device apps. But I don't keep my phone with me when I leave/enter a room in the house. . Just wondering as you have 5, would you experience it more. Point taken by the way..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,077 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Cheers worked for me, will it work for everyone in the family or is it one per family sub?Whats delevery time like, its says 3-6 Jan for me?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭SteM

Cheers worked for me, will it work for everyone in the family or is it one per family sub?Whats delevery time like, its says 3-6 Jan for me?

We were able to order one per member on the family plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭jontr

SteM wrote: »
    We were able to order one per member on the family plan.

How did it work? When I tried to redeem the offer using my wife's account it says her account is not eligible. It worked for me fine - should I use same code from her account maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭SteM

jontr wrote: »
    How did it work? When I tried to redeem the offer using my wife's account it says her account is not eligible. It worked for me fine - should I use same code from her account maybe?

I went into the hduk link on my phone and ordered for me, she went in on hers and got a different code and ordered for herself. I was out with my mum yesterday who is on our family plan and was able to order for her on her phone. Different codes each time.

Is your wife's account in active use?

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Happy_Harry

I ordered one for myself fine, but when I tried to order one on my daughter's phone, I got the message that dependent's accounts are not eligible. Will try my wife's account tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Not sure about any others, but won't let me order on my account, says I'm not eligible.

Possibly because I'm on rupee's plan, but seeing as how I'm paying €2.39 a month (about 30€ for the year) for a family plan, I'll note grumble too much about being excluded :o

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭franciec

Worked for me also. Ordered last night said 30-31 for delivery now says 23-24th. Not sure of the chances it'll be here before Christmas though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

Why is it asking for card details when its FREE?

Advertisement