Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

What name calling? It's you who has hissy fits here - post after post of rage and hatred (and it's not your opinions usually, before you start with the faux victimhood - it's the way you present them) and itching for a fight.

Whatever the reasons, you would literally be discriminating against them on the grounds of being women. This is indisputable. And what's this about menstruation affecting productivity? That's extremely rare. The vast majority of women are able to work away grand when we have our periods.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

so no answer to my questions then.

why am I not surprised.

Answers you don't like is not the same thing as no answers.

Come on, you know full well I answered you.

And saying "I wouldn't hire such and such group" and then asking how that's discrimination? Ah here...

you told me to STFU, called me a hypocrite, failed to answer my questions
    Seems to me it is you that is the one with anger issues and rage.

If my opinion bothers you this much maybe this thread is too much for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Mod

Mods opinions are often unpopular, but will everyone step away from keyboards for 5 minutes. Count to 100 and come back a bit calmer.

Thanks.

• Advertisement

:D you're still pretending not to know why you're a hypocrite and why it's discrimination to say "I'd never hire a woman" - it doesn't matter what the reasons are (I do actually get the maternity leave thing, but it's still on the grounds of them being women, and the menstruation thing is just nonsense). You would literally be discriminating on grounds of sex - but go ahead, and be a hypocrite complaining about discrimination on the grounds of sex in other contexts.

Why are you pretending I haven't answered your questions? Poor attempt to discredit.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Midster

vriesmays wrote: »
    Chefs, hairdressing, fashion design - the sooner women stop getting oppressed in these professions they will reach the top.

That’s a very idealistic way of thinking. But did it ever cross your mind that men might just be better at handling the pressures of being at the top.
    And to just put women in top positions because it’s fairer might send well known businesses to there grave?

Raconteuse wrote: »
    :D you're still pretending not to know why you're a hypocrite and why it's discrimination to say "I'd never hire a woman" - it doesn't matter what the reasons are (I do actually get the maternity leave thing, but it's still on the grounds of them being women, and the menstruation thing is just nonsense). You would literally be discriminating on grounds of sex - but go ahead, and be a hypocrite complaining about discrimination on the grounds of sex in other contexts.

Why are you pretending I haven't answered your questions? Poor attempt to discredit.

I will make it easier for you to comprehend.

If you are a small business owner with say 3 employees, and you hire one and within days or weeks she gets pregnant, in time you have to replace her when she is out on maternity leave and hire a replacement.
    In a business sense, would it not be more economically viable to hire a man who will not be getting pregnant ?

Do you not owe yourself and your other employees the right to make sure the business succeeds and you make the best financial decisions possible..

If you fail to see the point I am making then its obvious you have an agenda and your replies are based on the poster rather than the post

Midster wrote: »
    That’s a very idealistic way of thinking. But did it ever cross your mind that men might just be better at handling the pressures of being at the top
    Read it again. You can be absolutely certain that he's agreeing with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

vriesmays wrote: »
    The Chinese must be smarter than the Irish as there are far low common cancer rates there.

But higher cancer mortality rates. And certain types of cancer are more common in China than the West.

• Advertisement

If you are a small business owner with say 3 employees, and you hire one and within days or weeks she gets pregnant, in time you have to replace her when she is out on maternity leave and hire a replacement.
    In a business sense, would it not be more economically viable to hire a man who will not be getting pregnant ?

Do you not owe yourself and your other employees the right to make sure the business succeeds and you make the best financial decisions possible..

If you fail to see the point I am making then its obvious you have an agenda and your replies are based on the poster rather than the post
    I know and acknowledged it. Why do you think you have to explain it again or that I fail to see your point? I've given you clear answers repeatedly. But either way, you would be discriminating on the basis of her being a woman. You literally would. And fine, but don't pretend it's not what it is. How can you convince yourself that it's not discrimination against women? It would need some mighty doublethink to make yourself truly believe that. I mean you literally said (and gleefully) "I would never hire a woman". What do you think discrimination is? And she may not get pregnant (but it's a risk and I understand the concern - still discrimination because she's a woman though) and the menstruation thing isn't a fact at all for the vast majority of women.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

The fact that you are able to justify your discrimination or not is irrelevant.
    It's still discrimination.
    That's what you were called out on - because you were howling about gender discrimination against men.
    It pretty simple stuff. I really hope you are just pretending to not understand this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

That’s a very idealistic way of thinking. But did it ever cross your mind that men might just be better at handling the pressures of being at the top.
    And to just put women in top positions because it’s fairer might send well known businesses to there grave?

Okay, I know zero about fashion or hairdressing, but I do know a bit about commercial kitchens,
    Most people drop out of cheffing. Male and female, the country is full of ex-chefs,
    The female head chefs I worked with had no trouble piling on the pressure, (and taking it)..
    , all of them dropped out because they wanted a family life and the hours weren't particularly suited to that... Many went back to cheffing but wanted day time hours without the responsibility, (they had enough responsibility at home)

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

If I knew what business you were in I would report you at the drop of a hat . Its that simple

The bottom line here I think is that for one reason or another women just don’t seem to aim for the top jobs out there.
    You can see that when you look at any category of jobs.
    So if women want to be included in everything everywhere because that’s what they believe to be fare.
    Well then it doesn’t seem to much of a put down to say that they had better try harder.

Hard working men loose out to other men all the time, but do we complain, dam right we do, but we don’t demand inclusion, because we understand that’s just how the world works, sometimes bosses do have there favourites.
    So men try harder, we stay at work for longer, get more done in a day than any of the other staff, suck up to the boss, in fact suck up to anyone in charge.
    And when the pressures of work get to us, we muscle through it.

Women in general seem to be of the opinion that if they work really hard, the work speaks for itself, and it doesn’t.
    It’s hard work, doing overtime, sucking up, and not taking things personal when they don’t go your way that gets you better paid jobs

so is discrimination wrong ?

In my opinion its not wrong where there is a clear reason why it should happen. If a builder for arguments sake was looking for block layers, he would hire a man over a woman. Is there some women who could do the job, maybe, but in reality men are stronger than woman and more suited to that job.
    again you can call that discrimination, but its not wrong.

People bandy about the word discrimination , implying negative connotations,
    My initial point is I would not hire a woman, and the responses tried to portray me in a negative light for those comments.
    Is my opinion unpopular...maybe, but that does not mean its not valid and there is no logic behind my statement.

There are jobs where I would not hire a man, again that would be discrimination to some, but there is a reason why certain fields are dominated by certain genders.

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    If I knew what business you were in I would report you at the drop of a hat . Its that simple

What if I said I was a scaffolder and women could not cut it as they were not strong enough and could not keep up with the men.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

In my opinion its not wrong where there is a clear reason why it should happen. If a builder for arguments sake was looking for block layers, he would hire a man over a woman. Is there some women who could do the job, maybe, but in reality men are stronger than woman and more suited to that job.

My initial point is I would not hire a woman, and the responses tried to portray me in a negative light for those comments.
    Is my opinion unpopular...maybe, but that does not mean its not valid and there is no logic behind my statement.

There are jobs where I would not hire a man, again that would be discrimination to some, but there is a reason why certain fields are dominated by certain genders.

Fair play to you and hopefully you have the courage of your convictions and will word your next employment advertisement to reflect your stance on not employing women and your reasons .
    Somehow I doubt you will because you're nothing more than a keyboard warrior. ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

how is it sexist to suggest women take more time off for maternity leave than men sexist ?

how is it sexist to state women are less productive at work when they are on their period.

These are facts, not sexist opinions.

What’s that now? I don’t get periods any more but when I did, I had one day of cramps a month that two paracetamol every few hours or so completely took care of. And I really mean completely.

What’s that now? I don’t get periods any more but when I did, I had one day of cramps a month that two paracetamol every few hours or so completely took care of. And I really mean completely.

good for you.

However that is not the case for all women.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

good for you.

However that is not the case for all women.

Justin, perhaps you could employ morbidly obesse women. Most won't mensturate or get pregnant!

Justin, perhaps you could employ morbidly obesse women. Most won't mensturate or get pregnant!

Because of my opinions some want to paint me as some sort of women hater, and that is expected from people of limited intelligence.

I love women, married to a wonderful one, but its not sexist issue, its more a case of what makes more sense, from a business standpoint.

I dont hate men either, but I would not hire a man as a babysitter. I have no doubt that too would be classed as discrimination.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Because of my opinions some want to paint me as some sort of women hater, and that is expected from people of limited intelligence.

I love women, married to a wonderful one, but its not sexist issue, its more a case of what makes more sense, from a business standpoint.

I dont hate men either, but I would not hire a man as a babysitter. I have no doubt that too would be classed as discrimination.

Nah, you're just an idiot.

Don’t worry, haters always gotta hate. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Don’t worry, haters always gotta hate. :D

Indeed, women haters always gotta hate women.

The tide is turning…

jaxxx wrote: »
    Nah, you're just an idiot.

Says the person who has nothing to add to this thread other than 5 words. Lol

Indeed, women haters always gotta hate women.

I’m sorry, is this thread going above your head? Nobody hates women, the reason for women not getting some jobs has nothing to do with sexism. It’s to do with who is better suited to that role.
    There might be very good reasons why men get promotions etc were women don’t

people can tell me to stfu
    call me a hater, a hypocrite. a sexist. etc.

I would not hire a woman to do scaffolding, block laying, etc would not hire a man for babysitting, and there are countless other examples why I would not hire people based on financial reasons.

Does that alienate some people ? Yes, but so what, Deep down a lot of people might agree but wont for fear the pc brigade be all over them like a rash.

people can tell me to stfu
    call me a hater, a hypocrite. a sexist. etc.

I would not hire a woman to do scaffolding, block laying, etc would not hire a man for babysitting, and there are countless other examples why I would not hire people based on financial reasons.

Does that alienate some people ? Yes, but so what, Deep down a lot of people might agree but wont for fear the pc brigade be all over them like a rash.

Well I definitely wouldn’t hire a man to baby sit my 2 girls, I’d be to scared he’d either be drinking beer all night in my house with his friends, or a frickin pervert.

As far as choice goes, hiring a woman over a man for baby sitting duties wins hands down every time,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Says the person who has nothing to add to this thread other than 5 words. Lol

Might be only 5 words, but an excellent and concise contribution.

Advertisement