Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,942 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

There do be rugby on tg4....in half full stadiums,lads rolling around in muck usually.....what is so distinctive about offload to warrent a new buzzword for it

I rarely watch it nowadays.....still tune in to see ireland play like,but jesus the rubbish,commentry,silly buzzwords and hype that surronds it,just irritates me....

Tbf gaelic football is an abomination nowadays,though.some counties are returning to catch and kick,which hopefully make it worth watching again....i couldnt recommend anyone watch it

I like to watch top quality hurling,but follow.waterford :( ....in.hurling,football,soccer even god forbid,like to see waterford teams do well in rugby..

Why do you watch it if you don't understand it, you don't like it, it upsets you and doesn't even entertain you?

I just wanted to know if you understood the distinction between a pass and an offload in rugby. I'm not going to explain it to you. I explained part of the kicking strategy and you responded at kicking the ball out is just bad skill. If you don't understand it, that's fine. It's not my job to teach you and you don't want to know anyway.

I don't understand hurling like a fan of hurling would. I also don't watch hurling and don't get cross that other people like hurling. I dont feel excluded from hurling and I don't worry about hurling at all. It's just a sport for other people.

It does seem like you enjoy getting cross about it though so as long as you're happy

Why do you watch it if you don't understand it, you don't like it, it upsets you and doesn't even entertain you?

I want to get into it,i try and try and its lack of skill to hype just.galls.me.....plus i.like to see ireland do well (dont buy us as world class....how many professioal countries are we better than)
    I just wanted to know if you understood the distinction between a pass and an offload in rugby. I've no I tent ion to explain it to you. I explained some of the kicking strategy and you responded at kicking the ball out is just bad skill. If you don't understand it, that's fine. ita. It's not my job to teach you.

I googled this.....its just a pass,when tackeld???,hardly worthy of its own buzzword
    I don't understand hurling like a fan of hurling would. I also don't watch hurling and don't get cross that other people like hurling. I dont feel excluded from hurling and I don't worry about hurling at all. It's just a sport for other people.

It does seem like you enjoy getting cross about it though so as long as you're happy

Tbf hurling is at a crossroads as people try to ape rugby and soccer with tactics to slow game down.....but thankfully has been a failure so.far

Like rugby 7s is entertaining and fast paced,but.that sh1te of blokes crashing into each other,rooting and tearing is to my.eyes a terrible spectacle ...the fact you can get up,make a cup of tea and miss nothing of note is pretty galling imo.......quite why i put myself through it,is something i cant tell you :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,942 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I want to get into it,i try and try and its lack of skill to hype just.galls.me.....plus i.like to see ireland do well (dont buy us as world class....how many professioal countries are we better than)

I googled this.....its just a pass,when tackeld???,hardly worthy of its own buzzword

Tbf hurling is at a crossroads as people try to ape rugby and soccer with tactics to slow game down.....but thankfully has been a failure so.far

Like rugby 7s is entertaining and fast paced,but.that sh1te of blokes crashing into each other,rooting and tearing is to my.eyes a terrible spectacle ...the fact you can get up,make a cup of tea and miss nothing of note is pretty galling imo.......quite why i put myself through it,is something i cant tell you :pac:

Oh I wouldn't worry about getting into rugby. It's doing fine without your support. We've got top tier international team and the provences are doing great.

I'm not sure why the terminology worries you. It's pretty normal that distinct things have different names in sport. A pass is different to an offload so they have different names. In hurling can't you describe hitting the ball as a puck, a shot or a strike? Should they also be criticised as unnecessary "buzzwords"?

I wonder how you feel about the types of kicks? The chip, the grubber, the punt the Garryowen and, of course, a kick

I wouldn't worry about rugby if I were you. But keep watching as the ratings can't hurt. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Randy Archer

There do be rugby on tg4....in half full stadiums,lads rolling around in muck usually.....what is so distinctive about offload to warrent a new buzzword for it

I rarely watch it nowadays.....still tune in to see ireland play like,but jesus the rubbish,commentry,silly buzzwords and hype that surronds it,just irritates me....

Tbf gaelic football is an abomination nowadays,though.some counties are returning to catch and kick,which hopefully make it worth watching again....i couldnt recommend anyone watch it

I like to watch top quality hurling,but follow.waterford :( ....in.hurling,football,soccer even god forbid,like to see waterford teams do well in rugby..

Off load is hardly a buzz word . It’s a long standing term in rugby . Why should commentary dumb things down for people ? ITV rightly got criticised for dumbing down horse racing in order to get the newbies into the sport - to be fair , ITV (basically old Channel 4 people) have done a good job

As for other terms , ya fair enough. One word rugby people spout and it’s very annoying is “brand” , x team playing their “brand of rugby “ . The rugby flock do talk scutter especially the rugby media . They way they lionise O’Driscoll (okay fair enough ) and Paul O’Connell (famous for the god awful Fear of God speech ) can get very homoertoic when Gerry Thornely (a good journalist ) starts going off on one. Francis wrote some laughable much for the Sunday papers claiming , lol, rugby was now the game of the people

Then again, the great Ger Loughnane and even greater Cyril Farrell have their unique way of bogging up hurling when in the telly . Very direct but simplistic stuff , does the job . They make it sound fierce mystical. It’s what their audience want to hear .

Ted Walsh , for horse racing is good at that too

. Francis wrote some laughable much for the Sunday papers claiming , lol, rugby was now the game of the people

Then again, the great Ger Loughnane and even greater Cyril Farrell have their unique way of bogging up hurling when in the telly . Very direct but simplistic stuff , does the job . They make it sound fierce mystical. It’s what their audience want to hear .
    ^^THIS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

I would go as far as to say that rugby's image as a posh boy sport loved by south Dublin yuppies and made fun of by Paul towards 'ross o carroll kelly' character is what helped elevate it from a standard sport in the 90s to the middle class pub talking championship its become today.

I would even go as far as to say that rugby's association with wealth and higher class image than the GAA/soccer is the only reason most women who are in to it are in to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Hurling should be made a professional sport. The county teams should be replaced and concentrated into 16 proper teams with dynamic names like the "Kilkenny Killers" and the "Tyrone Terrors", although they should not be county based, and people from Limerick and Tipperary (for instance) would follow the same team. There should be free movement of players to trade from team to team. There should be franchises in New York and San Francisco, London and at least 3 in China, to bring in an international audience. Maybe Canada, Brazil and India when things take off. The ball should be changed to remove the stupid ridges (it makes it look homemade), and the hurling sticks can have advertising on them, like the way skiers do on their skis. There should be 4 quarters, 20 minutes each, a 5 minute sin bin penalty for technical fouls and the pitch markings should be made metric. There should be razzmatazz and fanfare about the place - none of this boring Artane Boys Band stuff. The All Ireland would be replaced by a Hurling World Cup. I guarantee this would make a fortune and become one of the most popular sports in the world. The GAA need to move on from this primitive, parochial image they've grown up around themselves.

Rugby should be banned on health and safety grounds alone. Desperate dangerous stuff to be introducing children to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Sheep_shear

the "Tyrone Terrors"

Maybe we should sleep on that one.

Maybe we should sleep on that one.

Ok yeah, fair enough. Is there anything Tyrone is famous for? Some animal or anything? Anyway, it could always be the Derry Destroyers or whatever. Belfast Bears maybe. Anyway, we're getting distracted by the detail here. The marketing guys will take care of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

I have to listen to rugby types who say that soccer players are diving and cheating and fixing their hair. And that rugby is more manly (whatever that means).

My unpopular opinion is that rugby players cheat as much as any other sportsmen (maybe more) and that rugby is the least skilful of the main field sports.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭cms88

I would go as far as to say that rugby's image as a posh boy sport loved by south Dublin yuppies and made fun of by Paul towards 'ross o carroll kelly' character is what helped elevate it from a standard sport in the 90s to the middle class pub talking championship its become today.

I would even go as far as to say that rugby's association with wealth and higher class image than the GAA/soccer is the only reason most women who are in to it are in to it.

As someone said before. ''What's a womens favorite sport?'' ''Pretending to like and underatand Rugby''

I have to listen to rugby types who say that soccer players are diving and cheating and fixing their hair. And that rugby is more manly (whatever that means).

My unpopular opinion is that rugby players cheat as much as any other sportsmen (maybe more) and that rugby is the least skilful of the main field sports.

Say things are said by ''hurling people'' about football. Trowning dirty digs etc are ''part of the game'' and ''manly'' according to some.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,219 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Hurling should be made a professional sport. The county teams should be replaced and concentrated into 16 proper teams with dynamic names like the "Kilkenny Killers" and the "Tyrone Terrors", although they should not be county based, and people from Limerick and Tipperary (for instance) would follow the same team. There should be free movement of players to trade from team to team. There should be franchises in New York and San Francisco, London and at least 3 in China, to bring in an international audience. Maybe Canada, Brazil and India when things take off. The ball should be changed to remove the stupid ridges (it makes it look homemade), and the hurling sticks can have advertising on them, like the way skiers do on their skis. There should be 4 quarters, 20 minutes each, a 5 minute sin bin penalty for technical fouls and the pitch markings should be made metric. There should be razzmatazz and fanfare about the place - none of this boring Artane Boys Band stuff. The All Ireland would be replaced by a Hurling World Cup. I guarantee this would make a fortune and become one of the most popular sports in the world. The GAA need to move on from this primitive, parochial image they've grown up around themselves.

Same with the football as well.

TYB8thu.png

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Sheep_shear

Agreed. Growing up I never heard anything about rugby, there was no local club, didn't know anyone into it or who even played it. Connacht were the only somewhat nearby team and even then there were in danger of being dissolved. I was a sporty person but don't think I even saw a tv game of it til I was 20. Then all of a sudden in the early 2000s everyone starts banging about wooden spoon this, Ireland's Call that and crying over the great glory of beating NZ in a friendly in the 70s.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,219 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Ted Walsh , for horse racing is good at that too

:D

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

True, but shock horror, women like the violence and manly nature of gaels (think Joe Brolly talk) be it rugby or Gaelic . Difference is , the rugger buggers will likely have a spot in KPMG ye all than a school teacher / Garda / burdened with a small farm .... which is sexier ?

The GAA crowd can get rather hilarious and pretentious too though ! Golf shoes on the pitch (coaches etc) wasn’t rare back in the day . Loads of rugby wannabes there , hey, rugby lads are brilliant with marketing and getting sponsors and networking . There’s a fierce bit of snobbery in some GAA clubs too

Lol

Limerick was always a bastion for rugby too though , obviously more so when Munster started winning . Limerick and Cork use to do well in the All Ireland league - back when league teams got better crowds that the provinces

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Agreed. Growing up I never heard anything about rugby, there was no local club, didn't know anyone into it or who even played it. Connacht were the only somewhat nearby team and even then there were in danger of being dissolved. I was a sporty person but don't think I even saw a tv game of it til I was 20. Then all of a sudden in the early 2000s everyone starts banging about wooden spoon this, Ireland's Call that and crying over the great glory of beating NZ in a friendly in the 70s.

When Prime Time did a special in the late 2000s on Traveller Feuds with footage of a massive barney, and some lad in an Ireland Rubgy jersey throwing hammers, I knew that the sport had fully shed its D4-only reputation.

''Test match''

• Registered Users Posts: 40,146 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

cms88 wrote: »
    ''Test match''

the game in the 1970s was between Munster and New Zealand so would not have been a test match. It was a tour match.

Ok yeah, fair enough. Is there anything Tyrone is famous for? Some animal or anything? Anyway, it could always be the Derry Destroyers or whatever. Belfast Bears maybe. Anyway, we're getting distracted by the detail here. The marketing guys will take care of that.

Famous for puke football , so Terror’s is rather apt

Tyrone Red Hands ? Something to do with O’Neill maybe ?

Why do we need monikers ? Too American. Munster n Leinster tried that in rugby about 10 years ago , went down like a ballon

Belfast Bears ? Lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

I don't like rugby either but hurling snobs are as bad a D4 rugger heads to be honest.

They spend too much of their time and hate directed at gaelic football. Obviously jealous it's the more popular sport.

the game in the 1970s was between Munster and New Zealand so would not have been a test match. It was a tour match.

It was against the NZ 'B' team - why the big fuss?

Why do we need monikers ? Too American. Munster n Leinster tried that in rugby about 10 years ago , went down like a ballon

The monikers are needed to update the sport and bring it into the 21st century. Naming yourself after your county (in Irish no less) and then having a cutsey nickname like "the cats" "the banner" "the dubs" "the rebels" is lame. Half the counties' nicknames are so bad you'd never use them on lucrative merchandising.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Irish_county_nicknames

Wicklow: "The Goat Suckers" FFS. Imagine being the marketing team having to work with that.

Waterford: "The Crystal County" - there hasn't been a Waterford Crystal factory in Waterford in 11 years. Time to move on, to modernise. "The Déise" isn't even pronounceable.

I don't like rugby either but hurling snobs are as bad a D4 rugger heads to be honest.

They spend too much of their time and hate directed at gaelic football. Obviously jealous it's the more popular sport.

Hurling.snobs???

Did you ever read such self importance rubbish as this
    https://m.independent.ie/sport/rugby/six-nations/neil-francis-the-people-are-embracing-rugby-as-our-new-national-sport-and-rightly-so-36741077.html
    I watch the FAI struggle with their player supply. Some obscure 20-somethings born in England of Irish parents playing fitfully and inconsistently for second division clubs.

Because they found bundee aki up in roscommon picking turf :rolleyes:

Hurling.snobs???

Did you ever read such self importance rubbish as this
    https://m.independent.ie/sport/rugby/six-nations/neil-francis-the-people-are-embracing-rugby-as-our-new-national-sport-and-rightly-so-36741077.html

Because they found bundee aki up in roscommon picking turf :rolleyes:

Is he one of the calremorris Akis or the Enniscrone Akis?

Is he one of the calremorris Akis or the Enniscrone Akis?

He was born in manukau,south auckland to samoan parents

And the rugby crowd sneer at the fai for picking players with irish parents or heritage?

He was born in manukau,south auckland to samoan parents

And the rugby crowd sneer at the fai for picking players with irish parents or heritage?

ah sure i know that, it was a joke.

Why do they give 'caps' for playing for your province?
    "It's his 78th cap for Leinster" - no it's not! It's his 78th appearance.

They love the ol caps in Rugby - counting Lions appearances as caps too. Laughable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

I'd agree that the article from Francis is nonsense. I'm no rugby fan.

My comment was in relation to a large proportion of hurling supporters who seem to spend an awful lot of time denouncing how bad gaelic football is. I'd imagine a lot of their baggage is because gaelic is vastly more popular.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Hairy Japanese BASTARDS!

Lone parents' allowance should be scrapped and replaced with a widowed parents' allowance. Society shouldn't pay for people who can't keep their legs closed or snake in the cage.

Inheritance tax should be 0% . It's not fair that someone works hard for what they have and whoever it's left to has to give a slice to the state so overpaid teachers etc can get a cut.

Most public sector unions should be abolished. Especially the ASTI and TUI.
    Certain unions should be kept, ie, medical especially nurses.

The HSE has too many admins. Start trimming the fat.

Teachers should be questioned if their average test scores are poor.

Quangos like pavee point and the women's council need to be axed. What specific discrimination are they facing anyway?

I wouldn't like to live within 5 km of a halting site.

Children shouldn't be allowed into clothes shops and hardwares during this pandemic. Those shops are wants and not needs.

All primary school children to be weighed (in private) once a week and parents will be questioned if their child is overweight.

Advertisement