Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jordan Peterson interview on C4

• 21-01-2018 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,679 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Seems to be a bit of kerfuffle about this interview, mostly on how Jordan Peterson schooled Cathy Newman on almost every point and her own personal philosophy about feminism and the patriarchy. There is a 5 second WTF silence in the middle of it when she releases, that she is losing, losing badly and tries to rescue her efforts anyway but how.

Now, the news is not about the disgraceful and unprofessional way the interview was handled but about mean people on the internet acting up and being dicks.

I suppose after such a car crash, they have to change the narrative. Will 2018 be the beginning of the end of these sacred feminist myths?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭SSr0

I was astounded by how she was constantly trying to twist JP's words in to generic women bashing nonsense?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

A very petulant interviewing style

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

The snooker is on at 1.30.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Isn't he the guy who thinks being asked to use a transgender person's preferred pronouns is oppression and a sign of the impending collapse of modern society?

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭SSr0

B0jangles wrote: »
    Isn't he the guy who thinks being asked to use a transgender person's preferred pronouns is oppression and a sign of the impending collapse of modern society?

Listen to the interview, you'll be pleasantly disappointed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,679 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

No. Did you watch the video? Guess not.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,822 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

at a minimum she was lazy and didnt prepare properly for it.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 20,392 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Is yer wan special needs or something?

markodaly wrote: »
    No. Did you watch the video? Guess not.

Did I say his opinion of how to address transgender people came up in that video?

https://youtu.be/SiijS_9hPkM?t=92

He makes his position quite clear in this one. He thinks his personal principals are more important than treating other people with basic respect and good manners.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭21Savage

She got schooled. Schooled badly. Hard to watch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Max Prophet

Did I say his opinion of how to address transgender people came up in that video?

He makes his position quite clear in this one. He thinks his personal principals are more important than treating other people with basic respect and good manners.

Nope wrong again. He is against legislation that forces people to use made up language like "Zer" and "Zim". It is absurd.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

So you’re saying... no I’m not.
    So you think... no I don’t.
    What I’m hearing is... you’re not listening.

Retire lady.

Nope wrong again. He is against legislation that forces people to use made up language like "Zer" and "Zim". It is absurd.

The legislation in question did not force anyone to use any particular pronouns.
    The changes to Canadian law will mean that gender identity and gender expression will be added to the already-lengthy list of protected classes — which includes "color, race, religion, national or ethnic origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, or mental or physical disability."

That change will strictly forbid discrimination against trans workers in federally-regulated sectors — including the military, airlines, the telecommunications sector, and elsewhere — but also beef up hate crime protections for victims of violence, or targets of hate speech.

https://news.vice.com/article/it-could-protect-us-canada-moves-to-adopt-new-trans-rights-as-quickly-as-possible

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

SSr0 wrote: »
    I was astounded by how she was constantly trying to twist JP's words in to generic women bashing nonsense?
    That's a narrative in current western society. Women victims, men bad. That and gender doesn't really exist and we're all blank slates that culture influences into what we think "men" and "women" are.

The interview went badly for her for a few reasons. She's obviously intelligent, but he's more intelligent and speaking on a subject he is an expert in, whereas she has to quickly swot up on the subject of whomever she's interviewing next.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,392 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Wibbs wrote: »
    That's a narrative in current western society. Women victims, men bad. That and gender doesn't really exist and we're all blank slates that culture influences into what we think "men" and "women" are.

The interview went badly for her for a few reasons. She's obviously intelligent, but he's more intelligent and speaking on a subject he is an expert in, whereas she has to quickly swot up on the subject of whomever she's interviewing next.

Think he summed it up when he said people don't listen just project what they think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭TheDavester

kneemos wrote: »
    Think he summed it up when he said people don't listen just project what they think.

Dont know why its happening these days but some need to be told feelings are not facts

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

kneemos wrote: »
    Oh certainly. That's one of the most consistent human traits that exists and across the range of human experience. We're projectors more than receivers I would argue. We observe reality and subjectify it and project that back as an overlay onto reality. An extremely simple example might be the difference between a pessimist and an optimist. The glass and the liquid it contains remain the same, but for one it's half empty, for another it's half full.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,639 ✭✭✭buried

"So you're saying..." "So you're saying..." "So you're saying...". When you keep hearing that from someone, they don't want to listen or even debate, they want a fight. The interviewer lost that fight big time after the 21st minute

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 13,679 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

On one hand...

On the other hand, his position is actually about mutual respect, respect has to be earned and he has never had an issue with a student in his class, never. He is on record that if a student wanted to be called by a certain pronoun he will oblige as its about mutual respect, teacher - student. His root objection is the use of legislation to mandate this type of language and the very troubling precedent.

The whole pronoun thing which kicked all this off is ridiculous. Equating the use of he/she to describe someone as a hate crime akin to Holocaust denial or advocating genocide. This moment was always going to happen, when people stood up and yelled stop to this tyrannical policing of language.

TLDR: He is not the monster who you think he is and even if you do and your offended, who cares, that is your problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Wibbs wrote: »

Seemed to me that she didn't really have any interest is swotting up on anything.

Her aim from the start was to lay traps for him to walk into so he'd say something that she could then use to discredit him and attack him personally.

Backfired spectacularly, not only did it give him a chance to tear to shreds a lot of her ideological non-arguments but it also left her looking quite spiteful for the way she continually tried to attack his character, and also left her looking a little dim.

"So you're saying we should organize our societies along the lines of the lobsters...?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Celticfire

fbb.jpeg:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Schooled by philosophical Kermit the frog

• Registered Users Posts: 36,022 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Jordan Peterson is very impressive, and quite battle hardened following his stand on gender pronouns. She wasn't a match for him - and it's unfortunately correct to use such terminology given her intent was so obviously adversarial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Biggest lickspittle on boardz

That interviewer is quite possibly the most hysterical, appalling, irrational, shrill harpie I have ever had the misfortune to watch. To think that she has somehow conned C4 into paying her a six figure sum is one of the great tragedies of the modern age. It was like watching a drunk first year sociology student 'debating' in the smoking area of a nightclub at 1:45 am. Just utterly, utterly dreadful. Cringe-worthy isn't the word.

Unfortunately, she seems to represent the train wreck that is third wave feminism. She doesn't see opponents that need to be politically engaged or challenged; instead she sees enemies that need to be destroyed at all costs. To say Peterson annihilated her intellectually is an understatement. To give a rough comparison, imagine the Doncaster Rovers B team taking on the Brazilian national soccer squad circa 1970. It was that bad. And possibly worse. What an utter failure she was. All I could do was shake my head in pity more than disbelief. On more than one occasion I found myself thinking "is....is she actually the full shilling here?" It reminded me of Brendan Kilkenny going on X-factor to make an utter fool of himself in front of an entire nation.

She actually makes Ryan Tubridy look competent. I think I'd better lie down for a while after just typing that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

She did not even listen to what he was saying and heard only what she thought she heard. Also looks like she just read a couple of quotes from his book put together by researchers as well. She has no deep understanding of what he is saying. And she resorted to emotion rather than logic and facts.

She was completely destroyed on all facets of her arguments and counter arguments although I am sure she thinks she "won" the debate.

And lumping him in to the Alt-Right was disgraceful and intellectually dishonest. A complete ad-hominem side-swipe.

She really should watch the TED talk by Cassie Jaye where Jaye admitted that when she was conducting interviews with MRAs that she would be hearing them talk but would not be listening to what they were saying and "making up" what they really meant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭ Royce Stocky Stage

She was painful so I turned it off after 10 min. Don't know this guy at all. I see he's clearly a better debater than the woman interviewing him.

One thing that stood out was when he talked about some women wanting a relationship where they are dominant and how that is suboptimal. But the reverse is also true - some men want to be dominant and have a weaker/weakened partner, and that is also suboptimal. It's not a gender issue at all since. It happens both ways, and presumably in homosexual relationships too. But even though it is not a gender issue per se, it is a singularly compelling argument for feminism.

Feminism is defined as belief in the equality of the sexes. Chauvinism is exaggerated patriotism or belief in male dominance. Maybe the terms are unfortunate, since subcontextually they link men with sexism, and liberalism with women. I'm sure it affects some people's views of the ideologies and the genders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Munster game is postponed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Celticfire

Your Face wrote: »
    Munster game is postponed.

You could watch the snooker with Backwards Man. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Celticfire wrote: »
    You could watch the snooker with Backwards Man. :pac:

Ah no.

No.

• Advertisement