Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Play TV (PS3) - £26.38 - Amazon

• 16-02-2011 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭

Another one spotted on HUKD:)

51JxyZ09KDL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0017UV0UG/ref=oss_product (You need to go to the more buying choices box on the right and choose Amazon)

A quick google tells me that this does work here but if not can someone let me know so I can cancel before my order changes to dispatching soon!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Don't worry.. that'll work fine here lindtee.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

Basq wrote: »
    Don't worry.. that'll work fine here lindtee.

Thanks Basq:) I trust you more than google:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭shamcfc

Is it freeview channels through the ps3?

and that will work here in ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Lawdie

Can someone please help explain what this gadget will do...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

This gadget will let you view the free irish digital channels through your PS3. You hook your Ariel into this, then this to your ps3 and you can watch the irish channels in digital through your PS3.

I think you get
    RTE1, RTE2, TG4
    TV3, E3 and maybe some news channel (im not 100% on this)

It can record stuff like a sky plus box and gives you a guide in England i'm again not 100% on whether the Irish system is working fully.

Basically if you have a new TV and it tunes in some channel with sound but just a black screen this will let you watch the channels. If you can already pick them up on your TV this is of no use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,279 ✭✭✭positron

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayTV

It will work here. All it does is take your terrestrial feed and display it in PS3 - it does a great job at that too. What it doesn't do is - it's no good for Saorview, it's no good for any sattelite thingees - that is you can't plug your sky dish into it, you can't set up 'soarsat' to it when 'soarsat' comes online. It's essentially a DVB-T tuner + PS3 + software that allows you to watch and record terrestrial television.

PS: Grumpypants, are you sure? I didn't think PS3 Play TV can handle 'Irish Digital Channels' - aka saorview channels. You need MPEG4/MPEG5 support for that, which this yoke does not have. There was some talk about a 'Play TV HD', that could be equivalent to 'Freeview HD', which if comes out would work for saorview, but there is no sign of that yet. This is my understanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭mjsmyth

@positron
    I can confirm that PlayTV works here, I use it every day. Once installed, you need to run an update on the software though.

Pop over here for more information.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=40

MJ

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Yep definitely works here and uses the PS3 as a hard disk recorder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭gar32

OK lads can you tell me.

I get a bad coverage here at home. Will this thing be better then a rabbit ears? I have UPC but may be let go in work soon & this would be €30 saved a month. Yes I know less cannels but I don't what to much TV any way.

Also does it work with older PS3? I got it when they where 1st out. I put in 120G drive so what amount of TV would fit on it?

Many thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭yawnstretch

bucks73 wrote: »
    Yep definitely works here and uses the PS3 as a hard disk recorder.

My tv can pick up the digital irish channels fine, what im wondering is how does the recording work. How big are files? Can you easily program it to stop recording at the end of a show or does it just record until you hit stop? As I only have one powered arial I will take the one my tv uses - is the ps3 ok for just watching the channels live or only for recording - any loss of quality?

Does this thing need a power plug?

Cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

gar32 wrote: »
    OK lads can you tell me.

I get a bad coverage here at home. Will this thing be better then a rabbit ears? I have UPC but may be let go in work soon & this would be €30 saved a month. Yes I know less cannels but I don't what to much TV any way.

Many thanks :)

It's much like picking up Saorview on a MPEG4 tv, if with rabbit ears you can pick up a decent analog TV3 signal you should be fairly ok but if you can (afford it) fit an attic aerial. Check out the terrestial thread under Tech for advice on aerials and all things Saorview.

I have PlayTV and at the above price it's a great piece of kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,768 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Ordered one of these, I'm in UK so is a great deal,

Just have to wait now! March the 1st is estimated dispatch time :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

This is a good deal, no question.

Would sort out well the issue of no Irish DTT on that cheapo argos 40" tv! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Ordered one of these, I'm in UK so is a great deal

Was very tempted to get one myself recently, but apparently they can't handle Freeview HD content in the UK:(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,768 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

tman wrote: »
    Was very tempted to get one myself recently, but apparently they can't handle Freeview HD content in the UK:(

Suppose it's not the end of the world, but I was thinking it could do that!

Am still looking forward to it anyways :D

Advertisement