Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things you just "don't get"?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

beejee wrote: »
    Don't even understand what you're getting at here.

"accessibility"?

Its a phone. A phone is a phone. Is a phone, a phone is.

Except it's not? https://www.apple.com/uk/accessibility/iphone/
    So a person who’s blind can take group selfies. A person who’s deaf can call Mum from abroad. And a person who can’t move from the neck down can send text messages to friends.

Perhaps these more expensive items are not worth it to you because you are not aware of or do not use the features that make them more expensive.

Even a camera on a phone - if photo's are important to you then there's no way a 100e phone will do the same job as a newer iPhone/Samsung etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

I swear we should have a version of the "Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon" game here on boards, except it would have to be "One Degree of Greta Thunberg." You play by mentioning her name in a thread, but you have to create some kind of link between her and the thread topic, no matter how tenuous that link is, or how insane the compulsion to do so makes you look.

Favourite crisp flavour thread?
    'You know Greta Thunberg's favourite flavour is... tofu and despair because her future is so bleak AMIRITE???"

Man United megathread?
    "I bet Greta Thunberg thinks 'Man United' is actually plan to unite the human race to fight climate change - what a FOOL!"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Vinyl

Where was this craze 10 years ago? It's become quite big and people spending time hunting for that "gem" in the street markets. Are they making profits out buying and selling, fair play I guess if they know what to look for

Does it truly sound better or is that in your imagination?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Climate change denial. I mean, questioning the narrative I understand - but out and out insistence that it's a hoax? Based on what?

Anti semitism - I even saw someone blame Islamist terrorism on the Jews recently :pac: just seems like a box some folk feel they should tick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

I don't get the whole Alexa thing tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Shuhada Davitt

i "dont get" the way most irish people have a one-up-manship type personality. they always want to be better, delude themselves to think they ARE better. they always want to seem like they're "someone".

i dont get it - but my theory is that it's because we're irish and that's all. nothing special, just irish, so they play up on everything they have to make themselves seem better or more worldly or something.

i dont get it.
    i dont get modern "feminism" either.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,017 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

mikemac2 wrote: »
    Vinyl

Where was this craze 10 years ago? It's become quite big and people spending time hunting for that "gem" in the street markets. Are they making profits out buying and selling, fair play I guess if they know what to look for

Does it truly sound better or is that in your imagination?

the old vinyl does

but played on a system from that time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

callaway92 wrote: »
    Greta Thunberg and all of that nonsense.

Literally PR people running her whole life for her. It's a child not making one decision for herself - It's like a weird project for odd people running her life.
    its all a hoax, that poor girl is being used
    100%. It's vile then looking at the droolers latching on her every word. Not one word in a speech has been from her at all.

Actually pisses me off so so much.
    carbon taxes are the only way to fix any environmental problems, real or imagined

Something I really don't get:

I don't understand why Greta Thunberg is so triggering & anger inducing to certain cohorts of society, it's weird, like really really weird to me, I don't support or object to her, but every second fb post seems to have a greta meme, it's weird, and I don't think I even want to understand it.

This thread being a perfect example, the most common topic in the first 2 pages is anti-Greta Thunberg posts... Does she really affect you that much?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭tupenny

Instagramers bloggers influencers, and how so many people are brainwashed by them.
    I'm talking women in early 30s here, not young kids, worshipping these people. Its bizarre to witness.

100% agree re. Phones and tvs! I'd add cars to that. People in next few weeks out to get their 2020 car. Dont get it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭MMyers

I don't understand why Greta Thunberg is so triggering & anger inducing to certain cohorts of society, it's weird, like really really weird to me, I don't support or object to her, but every second fb post seems to have a greta meme, it's weird, and I don't think I even want to understand it.

This thread being a perfect example, the most common topic in the first 2 pages is anti-Greta Thunberg posts... Does she really affect you that much?

I think it's the authoritive way she talks. I listened to her first speech and wouldn't listen to her again because i find her irritating, but i don't hate her nor like her

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,158 ✭✭✭facehugger99

People spending €50-60k on a car.

Buy pretty much the same car, 3 years old for around 1/3 of the price and you've about €35k to spend on other stuff.

tupenny wrote: »
    Instagramers bloggers influencers, and how so many people are brainwashed by them.
    I'm talking women in early 30s here, not young kids, worshipping these people. Its bizarre to witness.

100% agree re. Phones and tvs! I'd add cars to that. People in next few weeks out to get their 2020 car. Dont get it

the car thing is exactly what i said about the irish one-up-man-ship - people go and spend thousands and put themselves into debt to get the best car so they can think in their own head that they are "better" than their neighbour.

horrible... i call it "little mans thoughts".... although women are as bad.worse even when you consider fashion/makeup/wanting to be the "hottest in the room".

• Registered Users Posts: 11,183 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

I don't get the whole Elf on a Shelf thing, nor Aldi soft toy carrots.

People spending €50-60k on a car.

Buy pretty much the same car, 3 years old for around 1/3 of the price and you've about €35k to spend on other stuff.

they do it cos they think they are better than everyone else.
    the irony is, they do that, then they are in debt and definitely no better than the neighbour down the road in a banger with money in his bank

• Registered Users Posts: 5,363 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Fortnite. Its a crap shooter with crap graphics and crap 'feel' and crap features but has cult status with the really young crowd for some reason. Ok the last man standing thing is kinda cool but played it a couple of time and there was nothing there for me.

Other than that contemporary tv shows. Strictly, soaps, love island, all that crap. Wtf? Who in their right mind is being entertained by that?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭MrAbyss

The Late Late Toy Show.

It's bollox!

MMyers wrote: »
    I think it's the authoritive way she talks. I listened to her first speech and wouldn't listen to her again because i find her irritating, but i don't hate her nor like her

There are so many that hate her but have never even listened to her though, that's the really disturbing thing tbh - it's populist hatred against a child. Again, it's really fucking weird and I don't get it.

Other things I don't get -

good fuel economy.

There are so many that hate her but have never even listened to her though, that's the really disturbing thing tbh - it's populist hatred against a child. Again, it's really fucking weird and I don't get it.

Other things I don't get -

good fuel economy.

Completely agree with you, but her parents have put her in the position and I believe they'll make plenty of £££'s off her fame. It's similar to Justin Beiber, millions hated him for no reason when he first hit the music scene, no wonder he's become an abnoxius little twit

• Registered Users Posts: 15,630 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Funko Pops. Ugly plastic yokes with a faint resemblance to a pop culture character.

Blind allegiance to big brands; Cola Cola, Budweiser, Tommy Whatshisname.

The Greta phenomenon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

NSAman wrote: »
    Spoilt kids claiming "I took away their future"...kick in d'arse is what that lot need!

Tell them they'll get their future back when they learn to behave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,238 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Jesus..I have nothing against the girl personally.

My problem is that literally nothing she is saying/doing is of her own accord. She is a vile PR shill and being taken advantage of. Can't believe people are too thick to realise that.

I don't know the girl, I dont dislike the girl. It's the FACT that everything is written for her. Every action she does is potted out for her. Not one thing she has done is from her own mind/heart and it's grim.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

NSAman wrote: »
    Spoilt kids claiming "I took away their future"...kick in d'arse is what that lot need!

Only slightly related, but last Christmas a young relative showed me a picture that someone they knew had posted on instagram or whatever.

The girl had laid out all their Christmas presents on a bed, all expensive items that most people would be over the moon about.

Then the caption underneath "this is all I fooking got, shyt christmas".

It wasn't ironic either, apparently. There's "spoilt" and then there's the next level. Made me want to go on a murder spree.

I won't forget it, absolutely disgraceful.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,748 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Brown sauce....vile.

Also anything that isn't real butter on bread, horrible rubbish.

Woman's make up that makes them look like drag queens...bad ones.
    Inglot is like Halloween all year round.

Oh and people who get injections in their lips, bizarre looking.

Jesus..I have nothing against the girl personally.

My problem is that literally nothing she is saying/doing is of her own accord. She is a vile PR shill and being taken advantage of. Can't believe people are too thick to realise that.

I don't know the girl, I dont dislike the girl. It's the FACT that everything is written for her. Every action she does is potted out for her. Not one thing she has done is from her own mind/heart and it's grim.

OOkay, You have nothing against her and don't dislike her but she is a vile PR shill and everyone else is thick.

Man, you have literally justified the things that I don't get post you quoted in reply..

Why is it so annoying to you though - can't you just ignore her like the rest of us that don't care? :confused:

Sorry, I'm sure this stuff has been done to death by now anyway, I will continue in bewilderment, as I'm sure the triggered aul lads will continue in spitting out bile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭171170

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

Twitter & Instagram...not occasional use, I mean I just don’t understand the mentality that accompanies an almost constant living of a life through these sites. Equally, I don’t get your ones that are on there insulting and trolling people all day, every day...where do they get the time, energy, inclination?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,180 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

People posting their entire lives on social media and the constant need for validation.

ETA: Snap EDit!

Celebrity worship. I mean people who are so influenced by celebs or get tattoos of them. It's to like someone's music or movies or whatever, but to worship them is just really weird and quite sad

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Why so thousands of priests raped young boys? Did they all turn gay when they entered the priesthood or something? Can't understand it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,325 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Reminds me of when my brother in law says to his fashion victim son, so what are the sheep wearing today.

I kinda do understand consumerism I'm lucky that having fancy stuff never interested in.

I nearly scumbered to consumerism last week looking at a Huawei phone but then though na I'm not bothered.

Advertisement