Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Spam from my own email

• 13-01-2014 9:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭

I don't known how this happened but I received a spam email through my own gmail through my aol(which is linked from gmail) to the gmail account and my old ireland.com address? How could this happen and what should I do? I was online at the time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 FuzzyCraic

Hi Donegal11,

Step 1 : Go to http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download
    Download the free client and run it

Step 2 : Run a antivirus Scan (Download Avira, Avast or Microsoft Security Essentials)

Step 3 : Download a antispam client (do a google for Malware bytes)

Step 4 : Change your gmail password (best would be to choose a strong password .. strong means at least 8 characters from which one symbol, one number, one lower case and one uppercase....

example of a stronge password would be Winter_2014

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

While it might well be some sort of malware, there's also the possibility that the spam is forging/spoofing your own email address. It's not unknown for spammers to do this, seen it many times, and there's just about nothing you can do about it if it is a case of spoofing. There might be clues in the email headers for originating servers.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 FuzzyCraic

I agree with Tricky D but still i would take security measures...Hell yeah it could be spoof but still if that would be it highering security is a must.

If you are new to CC cleaner and or don t feel technical enough to do this watch this youtube video below it is just 2 minutes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOySsDcv8Yk

Or open the application go to cleaner then click on analyze then click on run cleaner.
    If you are not very computerminded i would leave the other functions as they are....

Then download a free antivirus client i would go for avast

and then run a spam client like free malware bytes...

don t forget changing the password of your mailaccount also. This is very important.
    If you don t feel like doing all them things then leave the cc cleaner and the spamclient

But run a antivirus and change your password

I had similar issues years ago and changing password to a very strong password always fixed issues for me....

Some spam apps use password calculators

Advertisement