Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fair City [News, Spoilers and Discussion]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

max life wrote: »
    Continuity seems to be a problem in FC more so than any other soap. Characters always seem to disappear for a few months at a time. They then just appear again with no mention of where they have been..:mad:

They do that because a lot of the actors have other commitments, like the actress who plays Jo has her own acting school, Keith does a lot of work in America, a lot of the characters do theatre work. Fair City is not highly paid so they have to supplement their income. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

Shakyfan wrote: »
    "With respect" if you have nothing positive to say why don't you feck off to a thread about something you do actually like instead of filling this one with your whinging.....;)

My comment wasn't aimed at you, it was aimed at whoever decided to release a christmas single in January:rolleyes:

And perhaps this thread should be re-named 'Lovers of Fair City', as it appears anyone who criticises it is asked to go to take a running jump. I was of the impression this was a 'Fair City' thread only and was open to all comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭optogirl

Fittle wrote: »
    My comment wasn't aimed at you, it was aimed at whoever decided to release a christmas single in January:rolleyes:

And perhaps this thread should be re-named 'Lovers of Fair City', as it appears anyone who criticises it is asked to go to take a running jump. I was of the impression this was a 'Fair City' thread only and was open to all comments.

I have to agree - anything negative is met with derision - you can be a fan and be critical. As for FC not being highly paid - that is nonsense. The actors & writers are on a great wage.

optogirl wrote: »
    I have to agree - anything negative is met with derision - you can be a fan and be critical. As for FC not being highly paid - that is nonsense. The actors & writers are on a great wage.[/QUOTE]

What evidence do you have of that? If that was the case, the actor playing Deegan wouldn't be driving a taxi :rolleyes:

This article may help you: http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/independent-woman/celebrity-news-gossip/star-actors-in-topearning-soap-on-432-a-day-48342.html

We like to focus on the positive aspects of the show, nothing wrong with that :) I realise I am very defensive about the show but it is only because I am such a big fan. :)

If you bothered to research it, you would see the single was released in December for Charity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭optogirl

angel01 wrote: »
    I have to agree - anything negative is met with derision - you can be a fan and be critical. As for FC not being highly paid - that is nonsense. The actors & writers are on a great wage.[/QUOTE]

What evidence do you have of that? If that was the case, the actor playing Deegan wouldn't be driving a taxi :rolleyes:

This article may help you: http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/independent-woman/celebrity-news-gossip/star-actors-in-topearning-soap-on-432-a-day-48342.html

We like to focus on the positive aspects of the show, nothing wrong with that :) I realise I am very defensive about the show but it is only because I am such a big fan. :)

I wouldn't consider 432 quid a day a bad wage!

I wouldn't consider 432 quid a day a bad wage!

I would for the amount of hours the cast do and relative to what soap stars should be on..

If you bothered to research it, you would see the single was released in December for Charity.

What's with the attitude:confused::confused:

Why would I research it when some other fan posted that it was released this week???

Who's this 'we' you keep referring to? You must be a researcher or be connected in fc in some way angel - never have I seen any fan of anything in my life, be as defensive as you when someone dares to criticise!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Why would I research it when some other fan posted that it was released this week???

Who's this 'we' you keep referring to? You must be a researcher or be connected in fc in some way angel - never have I seen any fan of anything in my life, be as defensive as you when someone dares to criticise!!!

I have to agree here. Angel01, you keep speaking on behalf of everyone here, a lot of whom dont hold your views. You should only speak for yourself, fanboy or not. Just because its a FC thread, it doesnt mean all comments have to be positive, very few people could say FC is 100% brilliant with no faults.

On the subject of characters disappearing for weeks, no other soap works its storylines around the commitments of the actors, because the soap IS the job of the actor, all of the time. Jo having an acting schoool etc just highlights how slipshod and temporary the soap is, its not taken seriously as a genuine dramatic art form when so many actors slip in and out, seemingly at will. Cull a lot of the old timers and you would have a fully functional soap where everyone got a shout.

On the subject of characters disappearing for weeks, no other soap works its storylines around the commitments of the actors, because the soap IS the job of the actor, all of the time. Jo having an acting schoool etc just highlights how slipshod and temporary the soap is, its not taken seriously as a genuine dramatic art form when so many actors slip in and out, seemingly at will. Cull a lot of the old timers and you would have a fully functional soap where everyone got a shout.

That's a very good point - other characters in other soaps work their schedule around their 'job'. It's not like RTE don't have the money to pay some of the top characters in their top soap, so why they don't is anyones guess.

When you consider the money RT or JD are on, for a 2/3 hour radio slot...actually, why don't they pay their soap 'stars' more?

• Advertisement

I have to agree here. Angel01, you keep speaking on behalf of everyone here, a lot of whom dont hold your views. You should only speak for yourself, fanboy or not. Just because its a FC thread, it doesnt mean all comments have to be positive, very few people could say FC is 100% brilliant with no faults.

I am speaking on behalf of myself.. I don't know why you have to be so rude on a personal level. I never said it was 100% perfect but I am a fan of the show and this thread was nice and happy and a good place to be when people were not so negative. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Frankly Wanderer, you've been trolling this thread since you joined it.
    All your comments are negative, dull, uninteresting and naked attempts to wind up the regular contributors - which you've failed to do really.

Nobody is suggesting Fair City is up there with The Godfather Part 2 in terms of drama but your unrelenting negativity is boring and unoriginal.
    It's been said countless times elsewhere although somewhat surprisingly the "Fair City is Crap" type threads don't have anywhere near the amount of posts this thread has.
    Funny that. :cool:

Not connected as I have said before.. I am a big fan of the show. It is not a crime to love a soap and want to defend it as much as I do. I enjoy watching it and I won't be bullied off this thread.

This thread was a nice place before all this negativity, what is so wrong with wanting to focus on the positive? :confused:

That's a very good point - other characters in other soaps work their schedule around their 'job'. It's not like RTE don't have the money to pay some of the top characters in their top soap, so why they don't is anyones guess.

When you consider the money RT or JD are on, for a 2/3 hour radio slot...actually, why don't they pay their soap 'stars' more?

Bit of a point there, UK soaps pay their cast a hell of a lot more. No comparison there..

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭rogercar

I disagree. What would Corrie be like without Ken, Rita, Emily etc. All soaps need their long term characters. Every street and village has people living locally for generations. Perhaps FC should explain where characters disappear to, eg, for the next few weeks Louie is away on business, he said so to Carole on Sunday night. Got to say I thought the Christmas day episode was lovely, not too dramatic, just nice and Christmassy! It was so lovely to see so many of the regulars in McCoy's. It was a nice way to get them together. So well done to everyone envolved! Let's hope the drama really hots up now that we are into the new year!

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭annieire

I wish they would turn off that music that is playing in Vino's!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Oops poor Louie is gonna get bombarded with phonecalls from all his admirers here after they displayed his mobile number. :D

Not connected as I have said before.. I am a big fan of the show. It is not a crime to love a soap and want to defend it as much as I do. I enjoy watching it and I won't be bullied off this thread.

This thread was a nice place before all this negativity, what is so wrong with wanting to focus on the positive? :confused:

I can't see where anyone is trying to bully you off this thread angel.

People are being critical of a soap, which they are perfectly entitled to be. This thread is called 'Fair City' - not We love Fair City or Only People Who Love Fair City Can Post Here.

I am also a fan, but the plots and lack of consistency in alot of the storylines leave alot to be desired - and I, and anyone else who cares to, are as entitled to mention it here - on the Fair City thread - not the You Can Only Post Here to Say Nice Things About Fair City Thread - as you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭max life

They do that because a lot of the actors have other commitments, like the actress who plays Jo has her own acting school, Keith does a lot of work in America, a lot of the characters do theatre work. Fair City is not highly paid so they have to supplement their income. :(
    I am a bit surprised that Keith does a lot of work in America. I think that, out of all the characters, he has been in more episodes in the last couple of years, than anyone else. He seems to be in every episode.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

He's one of the few good actors in Fair City, he has a good face on him as well. I would guess he improvises his role a bit as well since he's a good/believable character.... all rare commodities on Far City....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

LOVED Una's dress tonight. Anyone know where it comes from (and no smart a*ses saying the RTE wardrobe dept please):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Sibylla

As many other posters have mentioned, The one problem with fair city is how they can introduce a major storyline and within weeks it's forgotten completely. Take Carol for instance, Does anyone recall when she was involved with the detective? They brought his character back and turned him into a creep when there was so much potential with future storylines, Couldn't Deegan use a partner? It's the same with Louis and Yvonne, It seems unrealistic there relationship could fizzle out so quickly. Within a matter of months I'm sure Suzanne will return and her antics forgotten too.
    On another note funny to see Bob and Turlough back.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

The reintroduction of Turlough is going to make it close to unwatchable again, especially considering he's now in a wheelchair.

I mean, could you possibly think of a more stupid storyline if you tried? I couldn't. I thought Turlough was gone forever and good riddance, god only knows why they brought him back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Sibylla

The reintroduction of Turlough is going to make it close to unwatchable again, especially considering he's now in a wheelchair.

I mean, could you possibly think of a more stupid storyline if you tried? I couldn't. I thought Turlough was gone forever and good riddance, god only knows why they brought him back.
    Yes I agree completely there are some pretty bad characters at the moment.
    I assume he is pretending to be paralysed? Can't see his character going anywhere
    very interesting in the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

Last year I noticed there were a few scenes mainly with Avi and Pete where they were promoting services run by the Government - I think one of the was the "back to work allowance" (or something like that) - and I know there were another few but I can't think at the moment.

So now I'm wondering with Turlough in a wheelchair will they be highlighting services for wheelchair users.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,833 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

He is back around the same time as Bob I smell a set up as in him and Bob working on a scam and that Turlough really can walk :cool:

What happened to Dolores getting with Deegan :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,016 ✭✭✭✭tk123

max life wrote: »
    No the photo was of Marks' father.

Is Mark going to turn into his dad and turn on Damien? Is he ever going to smile lol?

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭pavcro10

Turlough is back! Ughhh!! Someone post when he leaves again!! I'm not watching.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

What is stupid about been in a wheelchair. Many people are delighted to have the use of them to get around after been born with disabilities which ment they did not have the strength in their legs or back to walk or to get around after been involved in an accident which again left them without the required strength in their legs or back to walk.

• Advertisement

Deise Tom wrote: »
    What is stupid about been in a wheelchair. Many people are delighted to have the use of them to get around after been born with disabilities which ment they did not have the strength in their legs or back to walk or to get around after been involved in an accident which again left them without the required strength in their legs or back to walk.

I can't speak for SuperInfinity but CLEARLY, he didn't mean it was stupid being in wheelchair:rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement