Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thurles

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

frankz wrote: »
    Just a guess but as the car park has a lot of spots and the building is really quite large (actually a number of buildings with a lot of street frontage) I expect there must be more plans for it than 20 staff.

Don't think there was an official opening so maybe if there is only currently around 20 staff moved in they are waiting till there is higher occupancy levels.
    (As I say just my speculation ......)

The parking is for staff and customers.
    It's a public office, open to the public!
    The office in Slievnamon Road was not meeting neither health and safety regulations or Equal Stautus requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

It's the municipal district office for Thurles/Templemore. They've been there a good few months at this stage. Not sure on staff numbers but I'd take a guess at around 20 based on the number of cars that used to be parked at the old office.

Old office was a fairly old building but you'd imagine it could have been easily renovated. Maybe space for staff was an issue in there.

It's also Library HQ for Tipperary.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭frankz

infogiver wrote: »
    The parking is for staff and customers.
    It's a public office, open to the public!

Thanks, ya had that it was a public office - that wasn't my point.
    Samsgirl wrote: »
    It's also Library HQ for Tipperary.

Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Very talented busker outside McMahons. A change from the usual buskers playing the same song over and over again. Also there are Rehab chuggers at the pedestrian crossing. An Angela Kearn tax

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭macjohn

Apache Pizza due to open Monday.

Card machine isn't in yet so cash only.

Deliveries to roll out in a few weeks.

In unrelated news Stars of India did a post drop of their menu with a discount voucher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

There's a discussion going on in the thread below about the possibility of creating a greenway from Clonmel to Thurles along the old train line.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...7670861&page=2

tipp_gunner is the driving force behind it - be great to see some support for it:

Here is the twitter page he has set up - please support

https://twitter.com/Tippofftrack

And here is the facebook link again. Share, like and feel free to post to

https://www.facebook.com/tippofftrack/

marvin80 wrote: »
    There's a discussion going on in the thread below about the possibility of creating a greenway from Clonmel to Thurles along the old train line.

tipp_gunner is the driving force behind it - be great to see some support for it:

Im thinking of actually opening a separate thread about it because i feel its an ambitious concept that deserves a thread in its own right. Around 220 likes on the facebook page in 2 days. Constanly hopping with activity. There is great appetite for this amenity.

Im thinking of actually opening a separate thread about it because i feel its an ambitious concept that deserves a thread in its own right. Around 220 likes on the facebook page in 2 days. Constanly hopping with activity. There is great appetite for this amenity.

I was also going to recommend a separate thread because it went off topic in the other thread and deserves it's own thread.

I wonder is it possible to merge parts of that thread with a new thread - some good points and information there.

Separate thread to discuss the idea is here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...p?t=2057747241

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭shmeee

I'm a bit lost as to the idea?

Is there much of the old route in place? Much of the old stations and areas where the lines were are now private property.

I was looking at the satellite google maps and you can see the line here and there, most of it seems to be ditches, only looked around the south side of the Horse & Jockey. Passes through a Quarry if I'm right.

Great idea btw, but seems an awful amount of infrastructure is required.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭jooksavage

shmeee wrote: »
    I'm a bit lost as to the idea?

Is there much of the old route in place? Much of the old stations and areas where the lines were are now private property.

I was looking at the satellite google maps and you can see the line here and there, most of it seems to be ditches, only looked around the south side of the Horse & Jockey. Passes through a Quarry if I'm right.

Great idea btw, but seems an awful amount of infrastructure is required.

There are a couple of bridges around Moycarkey side. The old line is cutting through large dairy farms now - won't have much luck establishing a route through there. I love the idea though - maybe the route can meander a bit from the original line. Even then, there's a big demand for agricultural land - might be hard getting as much as an acre set aside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

jooksavage wrote: »
    There are a couple of bridges around Moycarkey side. The old line is cutting through large dairy farms now - won't have much luck establishing a route through there. I love the idea though - maybe the route can meander a bit from the original line. Even then, there's a big demand for agricultural land - might be hard getting as much as an acre set aside.

If its anything like here in Roscommon, there'll be serious opposition to that from landowners. They managed to build a greenway from Mullingar to Athlone on a disused railway line, but it looks like the progress could be halted west of the bridge unless they can sort something.

jooksavage wrote: »

The line will be going through some of the best agricultural land around and will come up against strong opposition.

Again as you said, maybe go away from the main rail line and use whatever land is possible, and get as close to the old line as allowed.

The line will be going through some of the best agricultural land around and will come up against strong opposition.

Again as you said, maybe go away from the main rail line and use whatever land is possible, and get as close to the old line as allowed.

There's some impediments along the way but it's an idea definitely worth looking into.

Imagine being able to walk or cycle on a Greenway through the beautiful roaming countryside in Tipperary - unbelievable.

There's some impediments along the way but it's an idea definitely worth looking into.

Imagine being able to walk or cycle on a Greenway through the beautiful roaming countryside in Tipperary - unbelievable.

On a day like today, it would be glorious.

Nothing better than driving home in the evening through the Tipp countryside and the sun basking down. It's stunning!

On a day like today, it would be glorious.

Nothing better than driving home in the evening through the Tipp countryside and the sun basking down. It's stunning!

Absolutely - and as Tipp gunner has said its a greenway so it doesn't have to religiously follow the path of the old railway. Where it can yes great but not being able to is not a barrier to the greenway development.

Should we ask for these comments to be moved to the specific thread that has been set up? Edit - not sure of the process to do this hence asking.

Do any of the taxi firms in thurles use halio or my taxi?

Uncle isn't as good at the driving as he used to be and being able to see how close a taxi is might be more encouragement to use!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,647 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

There will be a huge crowd in Thurles over the weekend between the games on Saturday and Sunday.

Dare I say that Semple Stadium is the only thing that keeps the town somewhat relevant.

Does Thurles maximise the benefits offered by the games?

Can Thurles improve on match days?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Its a pitty there isnt more too the town.
    match day is a bit if a money spinner but nothing major. The CBS and college make moneyfrom parking to help with funding sport teams for the year. A few extra shifts for people working in pubs and shops.
    Some business in templemore gets a bit of extra footfall too depending whos playing and the same in return for thurles when there are graduations in the garda college. Both towns could do really do with more than a few hames a yrs esp since cork will soon be available for big games

Following on from the question does thurles benefit. By lunch of the armagh draw the hotels in thurles templemore nenagh and roscrea are booked out on the saturday. The roll the tipp footballers are on the last two years long may it continue if they draw at home to teams north of the country. Thats not what you see too often

Following on from the question does thurles benefit. By lunch of the armagh draw the hotels in thurles templemore nenagh and roscrea are booked out on the saturday. The roll the tipp footballers are on the last two years long may it continue if they draw at home to teams north of the country. Thats not what you see too often

Wow, interesting.
    Wouldn't have thought it would bring so much.

Google maps reckons its only just 2hrs 48 mins from Thurles to Armagh town itself. (I know not everyone leaving from there - just as an example)

• Advertisement

Yeah but there's not exactly loads of rooms, probably won't be more than 10,000 at the football with maximum 4,000 from Armagh imo. Worrying that they are all booked up and explains why the rugby world cup isn't coming to Thurles.

Why aren't there any concerts on in Semple Stadium?

Holycross has a country music festival which draws between 10 and 20,000 surely the stadium should be able to offer something similar.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

True the combined number of hotel rooms aint massive but nice to see all the same. Yes there should be a concert or two. The lack of hotel rooms isnt much of an excuse when you compare to slane. A lot easier to get out of thurles tha slane too

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Yeah but there's not exactly loads of rooms, probably won't be more than 10,000 at the football with maximum 4,000 from Armagh imo. Worrying that they are all booked up and explains why the rugby world cup isn't coming to Thurles.

Holycross has a country music festival which draws between 10 and 20,000 surely the stadium should be able to offer something similar.

The number of rooms is fixed, and suitable for the normal market so ya there might not be huge numbers of rooms but thats not the point. What is there is all booked up - so it has a positive effect.
    Struggling to see how you found a negative!

No one is worrying - saying its a great thing.
    World cup wouldn't have been confined to the towns north of Thurles listed, would also have Horse and Jockey, Cashel, even KK is just a 40 min spin - way less than world cup fans would often have to travel. Lim and Portlaoise short train hops away.

Concerts - they did when they needed the money, perhaps they are comfortable where they are now.
    Double edged sword - yes it would give back to the town but also takes over the town. Perhaps they are conscious of that.

I felt that the county board missed a trick not getting Bruce Springsteen back in 2013 and KK were quick to step in. The quarter finals were on that same weekend Bruce played in KK so one would have to give way say if we hosted it instead of them.
    It would have been the right demographic and would have went off with minimal fuss. Similarly, Rod Stewart has played in Kilkenny since. Those type of gigs would get a nice crowd and the right type of crowd. Unfortunately, residents will probably baulk at the idea because of Feile in the 1990s.

Tipp_gunner we need you on the board of semple stadium.
    Those two examples would have been perfect gigs.

macjohn wrote: »
    Tipp_gunner we need you on the board of semple stadium.
    Those two examples would have been perfect gigs.

350k a year and ill consider it ;)

Looks like they missed out with ed sherran too.

macjohn wrote: »
    The number of rooms is fixed, and suitable for the normal market so ya there might not be huge numbers of rooms but thats not the point. What is there is all booked up - so it has a positive effect.
    Struggling to see how you found a negative!

When the stadiums for the rugby world cup were announced the reason Thurles wasn't selected was because lack of accommodation. If hotels in North Tipp are all booked up over a qualifier in the football then this backs up the opinion of the RFU.

Both Limerick and kk have suitable accommodation and as a result have been chosen as host cities. That's the negative. I would have thought it was quite obvious.

Cashel is another example, the rock is one of the biggest tourist attractions in Ireland yet the town doesn't benefit much as 90% of the people visiting the area won't stay overnight in the town due to lack of accommodation.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

When the stadiums for the rugby world cup were announced the reason Thurles wasn't selected was because lack of accommodation. If hotels in North Tipp are all booked up over a qualifier in the football then this backs up the opinion of the RFU.

Both Limerick and kk have suitable accommodation and as a result have been chosen as host cities. That's the negative. I would have thought it was quite obvious.

Cashel is another example, the rock is one of the biggest tourist attractions in Ireland yet the town doesn't benefit much as 90% of the people visiting the area won't stay overnight in the town due to lack of accommodation.

:)

You originally asked did Thurles get a benefit from match days.

You got an answer to say yes, it does, for example hotels are booked up and the knock on benefits of that.

You didn't seem to want a positive so then you introduced a different element.
    One of the reasons stated around the rugby was accommodation - but am sure that was discussed at the time.

So in terms of what the benefits to Thurles of match days the fact that Limerick City and KK City have more accommodation than a town.
    Yes it is obvious that cities would have more accommodation than a small town - wasn't obvious in terms of what you had asked. (or why one would conflate such different points)

Those and other cities sell out for big events too, otherwise would be pointless to have the rooms there.

So again dont see how you found a negative.

It seems that there are benefits to Thurles from match days.

Its a wider argument (and different discussion) as to whether Thurles needs more hotel rooms.
    From a business based perspective would need to know what is the average occupancy on a standard mid week / standard weekend. There is space and buildings and hoteliers there if the market is there.

1. Does Thurles benefit from match days?
    Question for people who live work and own businesses based in the area and it a question based on past experience.

2. Does Thurles need more hotel rooms?
    Business based question as to whether economically feasible - so question based on estimation of future trends and needs.

• Advertisement

Fair enough. There's no doubt that Thurles benefits from the games. My response was to the news that there's no hotel room available in 4 provincial towns due to a fairly low key game.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Advertisement