Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ryanair - New reserved seating structure(s)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,111 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Save your money and take what they give you when you check in online.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,064 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Link

Another unavoidable charge (unless you leave the kids at home of course).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

As someone who travels with children, it's about freakin' time!

We always book seats to ensure we are together on board, but every single flight I've taken to a holiday destination has been held up due to some family having a ****-fit because they seemingly only discovered when boarding that little Billy isn't sat in their row because they didn't bother trying to get seats together when booking.

You may call it an unavoidable charge, personally it's a small price to pay for peace of mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭yqtwqxqm

Two weeks ago I was ordered by Ryanair to move from my booked window seat after I was all settled in and ready to go to sleep, because Ryanair had given the seat beside me to a 4 year old on thier own and put their parents in separate seats.
    Do you think i git a refund for my seat booking fee?

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭venomousfrog

Me and my wife and 2 kids are due to fly out on the 17th of August with Ryanair, we didn't prebook our seats but I would be very pissed to see my youngest, who is 6 years old be told he has to sit on his own....... he has never been on a plane and I know he would be very scared if he had to sit beside a stranger and not me or his mum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

Me and my wife and 2 kids are due to fly out on the 17th of August with Ryanair, we didn't prebook our seats but I would be very pissed to see my youngest, who is 6 years old be told he has to sit on his own....... he has never been on a plane and I know he would be very scared if he had to sit beside a stranger and not me or his mum.

Then pre book your seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,796 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

So..... why would you not prebook seats??

Or am i misunderstanding this post?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

It makes sense. As the guys have said, I've seen people not be in a hurry to get on a place with the expectation that because they have kids the crew will ask others to move in order to facilitate them sitting together.

When I've flown with kids I always pre-book the seats, at least now the pre-booking is free for the kids so it probably will save most families money, but that doesn't make good dramatic headlines for the press.

And who do you think the only people to blame for that will be?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,064 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Eponymous wrote: »
    As someone who travels with children, it's about freakin' time!

We always book seats to ensure we are together on board, but every single flight I've taken to a holiday destination has been held up due to some family having a ****-fit because they seemingly only discovered when boarding that little Billy isn't sat in their row because they didn't bother trying to get seats together when booking.

You may call it an unavoidable charge, personally it's a small price to pay for peace of mind.

You must be very unlucky for this to happen on every single holiday flight you go on. Never been on a Ryanair flight held up for this reason and I travel a fair bit (holiday and other destinations).

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭yqtwqxqm

Most parents I know would never allow there to be any chance that their children would get separated from them by not doing everything they can to ensure they are seated together. Why would you leave that to chance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,832 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    So..... why would you not prebook seats??

Or am i misunderstanding this post?
    because on non touristy flights, theres absolutely no need as there's not so many families there vying for a reasonably limited stock of seats.

Its also not the worst as they are charging the adults but not the kids so a nice compromise and not such an imposition as it first seems.

Its actually fairer and more logical than Aer Lingus charging a processing fee per passenger per flight which cannot be avoided, which is a complete farce as it should be included in the initial flight price in the booking process.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Amouar

Simple solution: Always check in as soon as check in window opens, and you're guaranteed to sit together. Don't wait until the last day to check in, especially when you travel with kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

I always check us in at midnight 7 days in advance
    We have ALWAYS been seated together.
    Now I'll have to pay up to 50 euro just so 2 of us can sit together ?????
    Is this part of the "new family friendly " Ryanair as well !
    This is a case of everyone paying for the people who check in the day before and then insist on people moving to accommodate them.
    No. Those are your seats if you want better check in on time OR pay

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭venomousfrog

Amouar wrote: »
    Simple solution: Always check in as soon as check in window opens, and you're guaranteed to sit together. Don't wait until the last day to check in, especially when you travel with kids.

We would normally check in as soon as it becomes available. we have done this in the past and seems to work fine.

We would normally check in as soon as it becomes available. we have done this in the past and seems to work fine.

Yes it always works. And even if you're not seated together for some reason, and there are still empty rows in the plane, contact the customer service via chat and they will put you all together for free ( happened to me once).

I think that now we all have to pay because some parents don't even check the assigned seats , and end up creating a story at the plane...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

You either have children or you have cheap flights. You can't have both.

Pickpocket wrote: »
    You either have children or you have cheap flights. You can't have both.

Not true

The article says "Strictly speaking, only one adult will have to pay the fee. Others on the booking aged 12 or over may choose to be assigned a seat free of charge. ". So check wife and kids on. If they aren't all seated together, then you check in immediately afterwards and get seat next to lone kid.

However, you will avoid this problem if you check in 7 days before flight. I've flown Ryanair for years with kids and never had a problem. If you are worried about not being able to check in for return flight, then you don't need to, until again, 7 days beforehand. It's cheaper to get boarding passes printed off in Hotel rather than pay for pre booked seats.

And PLEASE check which door you go through. Nothing worse than someone entering the front door when they are seated at the back!

On the positive side, we'll be able to check in 30 days before the flight instead of 7. Handy when you're going for more than a week and not sure to find a printer in destination.

"This will guarantee that adults travelling with children under 12 will be able to select their preferred seats at the time of booking, check in for their flights up to 30 days prior to departure and fly safe in the knowledge that they are getting Europe’s lowest air fares while ensuring that they always sit together with their children. - See more at: http://corporate.ryanair.com/news/news/160729-ryanair-cuts-the-cost-of-reserved-seats-for-passengers-travelling-with-children-under-12-as-fares-fall-10-4-in-2016/?market=en#sthash.IxNsCXay.xkVe229R.dpuf"

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

And PLEASE check which door you go through. Nothing worse than someone entering the front door when they are seated at the back!

As bad as the people who don't understand boarding in order of seat rows. I often wonder what the point of that is when they just seem to let everyone on anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Sorry but this is a complete unnecessary joke and as someone who has relentlessly defended Ryanair for years I'm very very pissed off. Since allocated seating has come in I've had the kids on loads of flights and never once had an issue with not being able to sit together. Check in as soon as the window opens and you're sorted. Also you can use the app while on holidays now so the need for a printer is redundant.

If Ryanair were so concerned they could have groups allocated seats together in the background because they know who's in groups at the point of boarding.

Really pissed off with this one.

Jayop wrote: »
    Sorry but this is a complete unnecessary joke and as someone who has relentlessly defended Ryanair for years I'm very very pissed off. Since allocated seating has come in I've had the kids on loads of flights and never once had an issue with not being able to sit together. Check in as soon as the window opens and you're sorted. Also you can use the app while on holidays now so the need for a printer is redundant.

If Ryanair were so concerned they could have groups allocated seats together in the background because they know who's in groups at the point of boarding.

Really pissed off with this one.

The boarding pass on the app is not allowed in many airports, and I wouldn't rely on the phone if I have the option to print my boarding pass. https://www.ryanair.com/ie/en/useful-info/help-centre/faq-overview/Mobile-boarding-passes/Does-Ryanair-have-a-mobile-boarding-pass-service

All this will do is cost me more money and ensure that my group is split up because we'll pay for the seating for the one kid we have to and an adult and I bet they will be seated somewhere other than the other adult and teenager.

Amouar wrote: »
    The boarding pass on the app is not allowed in many airports, and I wouldn't rely on the phone if I have the option to print my boarding pass. https://www.ryanair.com/ie/en/useful-info/help-centre/faq-overview/Mobile-boarding-passes/Does-Ryanair-have-a-mobile-boarding-pass-service

Many airports is a bit of a stretch.

I used the app and I screen shot the passes and send them to my wife so they are on 2 phones. That's more reliable than one piece of paper.

All this will do is cost me more money and ensure that my group is split up because we'll pay for the seating for the one kid we have to and an adult and I bet they will be seated somewhere other than the other adult and teenager.

This is exactly our situation too
    Actually we will have to pay 3 booking fees
    2 adults 1 6 year old ( free ) 1 16 year old

Only ONE adult needs pay. There will be no charge for kids. Read the links in full. "Under this new policy, one adult in every booking with children (U12) must purchase a reserved seat at the time of booking (which will cost €4) and then all children (U12) in the same booking will receive free reserved seats. - See more at: http://corporate.ryanair.com/news/news/160729-ryanair-cuts-the-cost-of-reserved-seats-for-passengers-travelling-with-children-under-12-as-fares-fall-10-4-in-2016/?market=en#sthash.IxNsCXay.hni44WwW.dpuf"

I used the app and I screen shot the passes and send them to my wife so they are on 2 phones. That's more reliable than one piece of paper.

That's a good tip!

Slightly off topic but .........don't all passes have to be on separate phones ? I printed paper ones this year again as I thought I read that somewhere ?

Only ONE adult needs pay. There will be no charge for kids. Read the links in full. "Under this new policy, one adult in every booking with children (U12) must purchase a reserved seat at the time of booking (which will cost €4) and then all children (U12) in the same booking will receive free reserved seats. - See more at: http://corporate.ryanair.com/news/news/160729-ryanair-cuts-the-cost-of-reserved-seats-for-passengers-travelling-with-children-under-12-as-fares-fall-10-4-in-2016/?market=en#sthash.IxNsCXay.hni44WwW.dpuf"

One adult means all CHILDREN UNDER 12 receive free seats I.e. All others pay or sit randomly

• Advertisement

km79 wrote: »
    One adult means all CHILDREN UNDER 12 receive free seats I.e. All others pay or sit randomly

It means that one adult sits with the under 12s. Not what was originally feared. As others have said, check in early enough and there is rarely a problem.

Advertisement