Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camera gear as hand luggage.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭spav

I assume that you can't take a tripod as hand luggage? I have a Lowepro Faskpack 350, and usually strap the tripod to outside the bag - anyone know if this would be OK to take on board?

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭SemperFidelis

All airline members of the International Air transport Association (IATA) have agreed to observe the following baggage regulations. You may carry on board the articles listed below free of charge over and above your free baggage allowance:

A lady’s handbag
    An overcoat
    An umbrella or walking stick
    A laptop or notebook computer
    A small camera
    A reasonable amount of reading material for the flight
    Infant’s food for consumption in flight and infant’s carrying basket
    A pair of crutches and/or other prosthetic devices for the passenger’s use provided the passenger is dependent upon them

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Buzz Lightyear

Just back from the UK at the weekend with Ryanair. They never checked my luggage as I had pre-checked-in online, however I was not taking chances. I had my D80, 80-300VR G, 18-55, 50mm and SB600. I decieded to keep everything in one bag incl my clothes, so I packed a smaller Hanel backpack camera bag that would take the above camera gear and pack it all into my Ryanair sized suitcase. Done the job perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭duffman85

Just came back from Madrid with Ryanair last night. I had a small gym bag with my camera bag and clothes inside. I was using the online check-in - bag wasn't checked in Dublin but they had the blue frame at the boarding gate on the way back in Madrid. Though they only seemed to be checking people with bags which were obviously too big or had luggage,shopping bag and handbag.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

When I bought a ticket with Aer Lingus, I did not know they had a 6 kilo limit for hand luggage.

I shall not be repeating this mistake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

had a run-in with airport authorities before (cant remember which airline) .....

The short version of the story is my stuff was too heavy(or I had bags everywhere) at the checkin desk - so I basically said if you want to take responsibility for several thousands worth of equipment be my guest - the equipment is not insured so I'm not allowing you to take it and put it on the plane where I would consider it unsafe....it could go missing or could be stolen, I would prefer to keep it with me so I know its safe.

if my memory is right I had a 600mm f4 couple of other lenses and flashes and a body or two and maybe some clothes ....my back was rightly fooked !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

PCPhoto wrote: »
    a body or two

No wonder they were dead stroppy :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

PCPhoto wrote: »
    so I basically said if you want to take responsibility for several thousands worth of equipment be my guest - the equipment is not insured so I'm not allowing you to take it and put it on the plane where I would consider it unsafe....it could go missing or could be stolen, I would prefer to keep it with me so I know its safe.

Surprised you weren't denied boarding and put on the no fly list tbh :D

Will be mostly trying to sneak past ryanair nazi's tomorrow lunchtime with a laptop bag and a small backpack to board a flight to Slovakia. Never a problem with Aer Lingus. Normally bring on the laptop bag, backpack with clothes & camera and a jacket. Never a word said.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

rymus wrote: »
    Never a word said.

I should hope not. You (from what I have seen of your posts so far) are a grown adult and should not have the clothes taken off your back by people who are well paid to organise a good service.

I'm horribly old fashioned, I know. I had a very Gallic struggle with a person who wanted to send my hand luggage down some chute a few years ago and my attitude was that I would jump in after it and run down the runway to redeem it, if necessary.

We sorted things out amicably...

Advertisement