Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plasterer mixed autumn leaves in the mix

• 02-10-2013 5:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭

The plasterer when plastering the house mixed autumn leaves with the mix,
    Now they are showing in the dry wall as a dark shapes, all over the house wall,
    Not to mention the ones you cannot see in the wall,
    Is this a problem in the long term,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭exercise

That's not the answer, I'm looking for mate,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 39 Worriedmind

...what the hell did he do that for?

Yes it will be a problem as the inherent bond within the plaster is seriously compromised. Also as the organic matter naturally decays over time you'll be left with numerous voids and debonded plasterwork.

Again though, I'm genuinely curious as to what the hell he thought he was doing??!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Again though, I'm genuinely curious as to what the hell he thought he was doing??!

Probably used water out of a puddle or a barrel/bucket under a downpipe or something like that.

The plasterer seems to think it is not an issue, he said it's just one of those things, he did not mix the mixes for the house walls, his labourers mix all the mixes , they did not attempt to take out the leaves from the sand before shoveling it into the mixer.

The sand was parked on a trailer in the yard in front of the house, their are a few trees beside the yard, the trailer was in the yard for a week uncovered, until last Friday when the plasterers arrived, and finished the plastering of the house

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,960 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Jaysus!
    Plastering needs to be done with clean water and tools, this is obviously more important with "indoor" plaster, but I'd be getting him right back to redo it. they were his labourers, nothing to do with you.
    has he been paid?

The plaster is set on the wall, you would need a hammer drill to get it of the wall now or some powerful tool, he has not been paided yet, he also has the contract for the internal plaster, he is a good plasterer, we were happy with his work until this issue arised

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Is he for real, he must of noticed the leaves in the plaster the labourers were handing it to him and he was putting it on, not a hope I would be happy with the situation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Don't give this lad a penny or allow him to do anymore work, his laborers were too fecking lazy to shovel off the leaves, his problem not yours. You are paying to get it done right not botched like this. Make him hack down the walls and replaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭Goose81

Is the house getting painted? If so no problem

• Advertisement

exercise wrote: »
    The plaster is set on the wall, you would need a hammer drill to get it of the wall now or some powerful tool, he has not been paided yet, he also has the contract for the internal plaster, he is a good plasterer, we were happy with his work until this issue arised

he might be good at getting plaster flat, but he is not a good plasterer.
    Outside is one thing, no way would I be letting him or his lads near my internal walls.
    Internal Plastering relies on the lads cleaning each bucket load and the tools thoroughly and providing perfectly clear water....it doesnt sound like your going to get that from this group.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Goose81 wrote: »
    How is it no problem, the issue is with the possible bonding issues caused by decaying leaves in the plaster. Paint wont fix that

Goose81 wrote: »

if your plasterer offered you leaves or no leaves which would you pick and why?

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭soap1978

Here is the finished wall with a few hundered leaves in it
    it donesnt look that bad at all.

...what the hell did he do that for?

Yes it will be a problem as the inherent bond within the plaster is seriously compromised. Also as the organic matter naturally decays over time you'll be left with numerous voids and debonded plasterwork.

This is the problem I am worried about more that apperrance

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 478 ✭✭Stella Virgo

cant see anything :confused:cud ya get a bit nearer with the camera to the wall.....

You can see dark spots, they are the leaves, if you were closer you would see even more dark spots,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

He has shown very little respect to you for using sh,, and putting it on your wall..very bad form.god knows what else he has done thinking hes been smart.you probably just havnt noticed..this will cause you problems and id pay him part of what you owe and tell him to sling his hook.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 39 Worriedmind

Looks like a beautiful house. Don't let this chancer ruin it for you! You will inevitably have problems with this down the line. The plaster will debond, crack and paint will peel.

He needs to remove this and do it properly in accordance with current regulations and standard practice.

The alternative is that you engage a solicitor to deal with the contractor/contractors insurance company and agree that they will completely re-do the works should defects arise as a direct result of negligent workmanship (i.e fu*ki*g leaves in the plaster!)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,198 ✭✭✭✭endacl

The plasterer seems to think it is not an issue, he said it's just one of those things, he did not mix the mixes for the house walls, his labourers mix all the mixes , they did not attempt to take out the leaves from the sand before shoveling it into the mixer.

FFS! All they had to do was sift it...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭TOMP

Did he use Fairy Liquid? It was a favoured mortar ingredient of some bricklayers during the celtic tiger period.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,198 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

30 seconds would have skimmed the leaves of the top of the sand before he started but to be fair you should have the sand covered when leaves were going to be a problem.
    Still, if he was any kind of plasterer, he would have given the labourer a severe going over after first mix appeared with leaves. To keep plastering in that manner suggests he is not the type of tradesman you want around the house.
    Im not so sure it's a huge issue but then again I cant see how many leaves we are talking about. Dirty sand for example could be a much more serious issue but might never be noticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,198 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

TOMP wrote: »
    Did he use Fairy Liquid? It was a favoured mortar ingredient of some bricklayers during the celtic tiger period.

I've seen shampoo used. Nicer smell than the fairy liquid. On a similar note, I've seen terrible issues where too much plasticiser was added to mix. I found a complete extremal wall with plaster completely blown off the wall. Plasterer used a normal amount of regular plasticiser and then to make it super tacky added a measure of the concentrate plasticiser also.

The plasterer said he did not notice the leaves in the mix, when he was plastering the wall on the day, believe it or not, I thinking possibley into a thousand leaves in the mix, not sure about the exact number

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭nick 56

This is a crazy story. i hoped this sort of crap had died along with the celtic tiger bull****. I am long retired but am still shocked with the rotten things so called tradesmen do. I was a plumber / gas fitter and our work is now governed by rules and regulations.

Do you have an architect on the job?

It looks like a lovely house don't let him spoil it. TELL him to strip it now before it sets any harder and redo it, better still get somebody else , a real tradesman.

Above all don,t pay till it is sorted

The plasterer said he did not notice the leaves in the mix, when he was plastering the wall on the day, believe it or not, I thinking possibley into a thousand leaves in the mix, not sure about the exact number

so he didnt notice AND none of them were half in the plaster...they were all perfectly covered?
    Horlicks!

We are trying to fix up this house ourselfs , helping the tradesmen as much as possible, we have not got an architect,

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭massey265

You sure there leaves in the render? Cause if there were it would make it extremely hard to float a finish on it or near impossible if there was thousands off leaves in it cause it does look like a fairly good finish.

I am very sure, if you were at the wall in person, you would see lots of dark brown black marks, very visible, the cement mix covered them, on the day of plastering, when they dryed, they became visible again,

• Advertisement

Sorry folks I had to take of the photos, the rest of the household were not happy about them.

Advertisement