Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

A step in the right direction

• 21-05-2009 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭

Hi all

not sure if this is a re-post

but on the Dart, they have the performance stats.

they are now marking trains that are over 5 min late, as late (as opposed to 10 mins)

the score for this month was 93% (I am skeptical about this, only 350 approx trains later than 5 mins?)

however all in all I think it's a better indication of how well the dart service is performing.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

I saw that and meant to post on it. I'd actually believe the 93.65% or whatever it was. I don't use the DART often these days but whenever I do it seems to be on time. The problem is more the length of gaps between DARTs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

paulm17781 wrote: »
    I saw that and meant to post on it. I'd actually believe the 93.65% or whatever it was. I don't use the DART often these days but whenever I do it seems to be on time. The problem is more the length of gaps between DARTs.

As far as I'm aware, this will be addressed at the next timetable change with a clockface 15 minute frequency being introduced on DART (augmented at peak times), and all other services then being built around this.

It will have some implications for other services, such as Gorey/Rosslare services which will take a minimum 40 minutes to get from Connolly to Bray due to the DART headway being only approximately 10-12 minutes ahead.

Thus all of the long gaps in DART will be eradicated, and hopefully all other Connolly suburban routes will as a result develop clockface services also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

KC61 wrote: »
    As far as I'm aware, this will be addressed at the next timetable change with a clockface 15 minute frequency being introduced on DART (augmented at peak times), and all other services then being built around this.

It will have some implications for other services, such as Gorey/Rosslare services which will take a minimum 40 minutes to get from Connolly to Bray due to the DART headway being only approximately 10-12 minutes ahead.

Thus all of the long gaps in DART will be eradicated, and hopefully all other Connolly suburban routes will as a result develop clockface services also.

Do you have a good source? (You don't have to post it, I'm just curious if it's reliable :) )

That sounds good, I hope true. Does this depend on the resignalling or can it happen anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Wow, thats actually a good idea! Woner where in Irish Rail that came from :pac:

I'm assuming that the "clockface" timing will be when the train actually leaves whichever terminus it is at? How does this reconsile with trains that leave Bray at 1 say and Greystones at 1.15, not really 15mins gaps.

Or will it be every 15 minutes clockface through Connolly/Pearse??

Well I've heard it from several sources...including the current CEO at a presentation.

As far as I am aware the main person driving this (along with all of the other service pattern changes that have happened so far) is Dick Fearn, the CEO.

• Advertisement

Do you have a good source? (You don't have to post it, I'm just curious if it's reliable :) )

That sounds good, I hope true. Does this depend on the resignalling or can it happen anyway?

It does not depend on the resignalling - it can (and I believe will) happen regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

I wish they'd look into the reason why we're always stuck behind a DART on the Drogheda bound train when it would just be as easy to change points and let us run past it if there was sufficient time to avoid a holdup coming in the other direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,727 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

dcr22B wrote: »
    I wish they'd look into the reason why we're always stuck behind a DART on the Drogheda bound train when it would just be as easy to change points and let us run past it if there was sufficient time to avoid a holdup coming in the other direction.

i get the the impression they really don't like running the "wrong way" on any track.

I've heard of the clockface timetable plan also - some Irish Rail rep mentioned it when addressing Greystones councillors who were looking for more frequent services - the 1 hour 0830-0930 gap from Greystones will be addressed at the same time apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

A friend of mine works in CTC @ Connolly

He said the system is at capacity both in terms of rail road available and signaling

The System in place was built many moons ago and was never designed to maintain such a high capacity of trains.

They need a 3rd line between grand canal dock and howth junction, that would be an ideal solution (obviously this will never happen)

changing the time tables to improve DART regularity WILL affect other services negatively. their just isn't enough room. the current signaling system according to my mate is a joke. Only 1 train (DART) can be between Connolly and Killester going north bound (which is approx 3.5 Km's of track, kinda ridiculous really)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

As far as I am aware the main person driving this (along with all of the other service pattern changes that have happened so far) is Dick Fearn, the CEO.

Well in fairness to him, the clock face timing is one of the really good things that has been introduced to IR in recent years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

loyatemu wrote: »
    i get the the impression they really don't like running the "wrong way" on any track.

I've heard of the clockface timetable plan also - some Irish Rail rep mentioned it when addressing Greystones councillors who were looking for more frequent services - the 1 hour 0830-0930 gap from Greystones will be addressed at the same time apparently.

The problem with "wrong way" running is that it blocks up a lot of track both ways in order to allow a train to pass another one out; even then it only saves about 5-10 minutes at best around the Dublin area. It's really intended to allow the line to keep moving both ways in the event of emergencies or breakdowns.

Advertisement