Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn 2018 - General discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Artane2002

It's a cloudy, cool but dry morning here in Dublin 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Graces7 wrote: »
    A wild and windy wakening after a wild and windy night... cold too. West Mayo offshore island.

Add heavy deluges to that now...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The shorts and t shirt still on here. Overcast but mild enough still.
    As picturesque as the West coast is,I couldn't live there. Spent enough time working in that neck of the woods and 2 dry days in a row was a bonus.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

today is my last day of the holidays in Spain, thankfully it's a hot, dry and sunny day, a final blast of heat before the winter.

Arriving back in Dublin tomorrow will be a shock to the system with temperatures, but at least I got used to the rain over here in Spain.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,131 ✭✭✭✭km79

km79 wrote: »
    Decent day between the showers
    Breezy with good drying
    A welcome break from the gloom
    For a day .......

And we are back :(

• Advertisement

Continuing wild and blustery here. Full of life and energy. West Mayo; offshore island

Still dull and some occasional spits of rain in Dublin today.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Miserable, wet cloudy, and feels cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Windy in cork city with some strong gusts. Was raining earlier but stopped and it’s overcast. Meh

• Registered Users Posts: 13,492 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Well Phoenix Park got up to 25.1c on September 2nd which would make it one of Dublin's warmest September days since 2000 (not sure about since records began because I haven't looked at them for this) along with 17 September 2003, 28 September 2011 and 5 September 2016.

Yeah, 2 September 2018 falls in at least the top 10 warmest September days at Dublin stations.

G7tf56c.png

Data comes from Met Éireann.

• Advertisement

Awful day, awful evening and now awful night, Rain all day here from about 12 o'clock

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Awful day, awful evening and now awful night, Rain all day here from about 12 o'clock

Fearing the muck that awaits me from tomorrow afternoon!, and plenty of muck between now and next summer. February 2018-July 2018 was very kind to us with not much of an Atlantic influence, I feel the next 10 months will be mostly normal service as the past 6 months was something out of the ordinary for our part of the world.

Lively night, and lessening wind slightly. West Mayo , offshore island

Cold and cloudy again in Dublin 5. (It's actually mild but it doesn't feel that way)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,492 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Gonzo wrote: »
    I feel the next 10 months will be mostly normal service as the past 6 months was something out of the ordinary for our part of the world.

I feel somewhat the same especially given the Atlantic sea surface temperatures.

Lively night, and lessening wind slightly. West Mayo , offshore island

amending that as have just taken the dog out and a harsh blustery cold wind out there. Dry while I was out but clouds darkening now so a repeat of yesterday.

West Mayo; offshore island

• Registered Users Posts: 5,903 ✭✭✭OldRio

It rained most of yesterday. Awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭acequion

Continuing wild and blustery here. Full of life and energy. West Mayo; offshore island

You have such a poetic way of putting things, Graces7.:) I love the idea of life and energy but it doesn't disguise the reality.

acequion wrote: »
    You have such a poetic way of putting things, Graces7.:) I love the idea of life and energy but it doesn't disguise the reality.

The reality is wind and rain; nothing bad about that... all normal... and yes, full of life and energy.... invigorating. Splendid . to stand against the wind...
    And no use fighting it or getting miserable about it. A waste of precious time and i have less left than most here.

The reality is wind and rain; nothing bad about that... all normal... and yes, full of life and energy.... invigorating. Splendid . to stand against the wind...
    And no use fighting it or getting miserable about it. A waste of precious time and i have less left than most here.

Ah now Graces I wasn't even having a go at you. Being a lover of words myself, I really like the way you write.

But wind and rain not bad???? A little wind and rain, fair enough, but constant? :eek: And good for you that you like to stand against it but it's not my cup of tea.

And you're right that it is a waste of time to get miserable about it but as some one said some pages back in defence of your posts,it's the variety of viewpoints that make this forum interesting.

And some people just cannot stand the western seaboard climate and readily admit they couldn't live there. In one recent post someone said that two dry days together is a bonus and that is no exaggeration.

If I wasn't working [a dry, indoor job] not a hope could I live in the west and that's because of the weather.

So it is a big deal for a lot of people. And while some like to stand against the wind, more like to laze in the sun.:)

• Advertisement

I had to make a journey to west Limerick one day last week and it rained solidly and heavily all day. I know we are spoiled with the long hot summer here in the sunny south east (we are still in drought mode here, although we have had some rain in recent weeks). But the west of ireland gets so much wet and windy weather you would have to be philosophical like Graces7 or I think I'd crack up. It's a lot more scenic than the east though, - I suppose you just can't have it all!!

back in Ireland for past few hours. The cold nearly cut me in two once I stepped off the plane. When you spend a few weeks in a warmer country, you forget just how cold Ireland is outside of the few weeks where we do get decent temperatures.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,131 ✭✭✭✭km79

FFS
    Pouring rain again
    Every type of forecast /predictive sequence from met had been showing it going south of us

May as well pack the lawnmower up for thand winter
    Will need a combine harvester in spring !

back in Ireland for past few hours. The cold nearly cut me in two once I stepped off the plane. When you spend a few weeks in a warmer country, you forget just how cold Ireland is outside of the few weeks where we do get decent temperatures.

What I find more noticeable is the blast of heat you usually get when you reach a warmer country (didn't get the heat this year because I was already used to the warmth here in Ireland).

Welcome back Gonzo. I know exactly how culture shocked you feel as it's almost always that same experience for me returning to Ireland having been somewhere warm. I usually experience it during summer months, though not this summer and you're getting the full brunt of it now because this is a particularly bad September, being both rainy and cold.

While it's always lovely to get away to warm,sunny climes I often wonder if it only makes us all the more disgruntled with our Irish climate?

acequion wrote: »
    Welcome back Gonzo. I know exactly how culture shocked you feel as it's almost always that same experience for me returning to Ireland having been somewhere warm. I usually experience it during summer months, though not this summer and you're getting the full brunt of it now because this is a particularly bad September, being both rainy and cold.

While it's always lovely to get away to warm,sunny climes I often wonder if it only makes us all the more disgruntled with our Irish climate?

September has been a nice month here in the east so far. It's gone a bit downhill since the weekend though. I'll agree though that it has been pretty cool but there hasn't been a terrible amount of rain here. Obviously, it's a different story for you poor westerners.

Artane2002 wrote: »
    September has been a nice month here in the east so far. It's gone a bit downhill since the weekend though. I'll agree though that it has been pretty cool but there hasn't been a terrible amount of rain here. Obviously, it's a different story for you poor westerners.

I gotta say its not been to nice here in the north east, apart from a couple of the early days of the month theres been more cloudy wet days then dry, definitely seems different to previous septembers so far

I gotta say its not been to nice here in the north east, apart from a couple of the early days of the month theres been more cloudy wet days then dry, definitely seems different to previous septembers so far

The 1st to the 7th were nice here, there was night rainfall on the 2nd but I don't think rain by night bothers anyone. Then there was some morning rain on the 6th which cleared off to leave a decent afternoon. From Saturday up to today were all meh, not really good but not horrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Raining in cork city since about 6ish / 6:30ish. Bit nippy too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Currently 11c and rain here in Wexford.
    It was 16c at the same time last night and got to 18c today and of course I saw people wrapped up as if we had 2 feet of snow on the ground.

Advertisement