Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

I started a 3DS fund for myself this week, decided I need to play Mario 3D Land and Ocarina. Everyone keeps talking about MArio and I never played Ocarina so its about time I did.

oh and I hated China town wars, drive from one side to the map and back again, over and over.

Ocarina is bloody brilliant and Mario3DLand is not that bad but it does let itself down a bit especially when the game holds your hand:(

Chinatown Wars seems pretty good so far but it'll probably get annoying once I get into it far enough, that said it was only €10 and I got the guide book for €0.58 aswell:)

I was playing a two player on puzzle bobble last night. It was still as superb and addictive as I remember, but it got me wondering what other simple but addictive head to head games should I have on my cab's favourites list for any lads nights that might spring up.

Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,426 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Puzzle Bobble is indeed one of those timeless classics which people will be playing long after we've all left this earth.

Another great Neo Geo puzzler is Magical Drop 2. If you're looking for 2 player games it's ideal. Ends up being extremely competative. Well it is when me and my mate are playing anyway :D

o1s1n wrote: »
    Another great Neo Geo puzzler is Magical Drop 2. If you're looking for 2 player games it's ideal. Ends up being extremely competative...

Yeah, i just checked it out online, that's exactly the kind of thing i need, Thanks!! I'm a street fighter head, and that's great for 2 player if you're in a room full of street fighter heads, but it's hardly a level playing field if you're not. What I'm after is simple stuff like puzzle bobble, head to head tetris, bomberman, etc.

Anything that's very pick up and play friendly, with no real learning curve, so that arcade heads and non arcade heads alike can just watch a couple of games or have it explained to them, then jump in and keep up.

Any more suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭kevin2me

Got Jamma Cab there last week and with MVS slot and load of NeoGeo Games,
    and completely hooked on Puzzle Bobble, man its addictive...
    Also got Puzzle de Pon! And load more.

For Lads nite, on my Mame cab the one that gets most laughs is without a doubt Marvel Vs Capcom, when any of lads are over, they mad to play that, its great because it can be great fun even with simple button mashing and some of the moves are epic, shouting and slagging that goes on is unreal,
    and these guys are proper farmers that never owed a console in their life :)
    Hulk SMASH!!!

Outside of that, Open Ice or easier to play and better NBA Jam...
    It can get really competitive, seen lads girlfriend beat him by a point in last minute one nite, She'd never played arcade before and he big console guy, it was too funny :)

So for lads Nite, MvC or NBA Jam be my 2 choices...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

So, booted up Dark Souls for the first time since, oh must be November last.
    And, well, died, a lot!
    But finally killed that fecker in the bottom of the tower with the one hit and your toast mace, just stood outside, at the door next to the Hydra and kept hitting him slaps for a good 10 mins.
    I know its a cheap way to do it, no finesse and all, but shag it, I was getting tired running away from things!
    Killed the nearby Dark Knight as well, which is nice.
    Oh, the Valley of the Drakes is not a place I can go yet, meaning I can go there but get toasted in short order by the two dragons there.
    So, going to have a crack at the Hydra then we'll see what I'll do next.
    Good times!

Master of the Universe

I never did finish the last boss in that game. Frustration won out over the need for completion. Sad as I really wanted to play through it again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,806 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    So, going to have a crack at the Hydra then we'll see what I'll do next.
    Good times!

Get in close to him, when he stops shooting at you he is much easier, wait for him to attack with his heads, shield up, then attack after they hit. Rinse and repeat while not falling into the bottomless abyss in the water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Booted up Civ 2 this morning to see how well its held up. Still playing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Get in close to him, when he stops shooting at you he is much easier, wait for him to attack with his heads, shield up, then attack after they hit. Rinse and repeat while not falling into the bottomless abyss in the water.

Honestly, who puts a bottomless pit in a lake?
    And if they do, why can't the Hydra make like Nessie and frak off to the bottom?
    I mean, the whole Dark Souls land, its a pretty messed up place, I wonder how many Lonely Planet guide writers it ate up before they said, "Shag it, no ones going to got there on their holidays".
    A lot of masonary there though, just when you think you have the Undead Burg sussed, you find out there's more out beyond the Darkroot Gardens, you see the foundations in the Darkroot Basin, then when you take the elevator from hell, you find a whole 'nother structure under that again!
    I mean, were these guys on price?

One bricky to another...
    "You heading to Canada or Australia?"
    "Neither, apparently I'm going to add more crumbling stonework to a castle the size of Washington DC, have to be willing to supply own Hi-Vis jacket and safety boots, ability to defend self was advantageous"
    "Good thing you did that self defence course with the 2 handed broadsword then...."

• Advertisement

EnterNow wrote: »
    Booted up Civ 2 this morning to see how well its held up. Still playing.

Boom

17bsw6.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I never did finish the last boss in that game. Frustration won out over the need for completion. Sad as I really wanted to play through it again.

I still think the people who claim the last boss in Dark Souls was 'piss easy' are dirty rotten liars. Probably the only part of the game I'd consider 'frustrating' rather than 'challenging'. If I hadn't went out of my way to purchase the expensive 'uber-shield-spell', would still be trudging that long walk between the save point and the fog gate to this day.

Quick 16bit blast there to make sure the new carts are working.

Super Aleste is every.single.bit as brilliant as I remember. Even more so in 60Hz full RGB goodness. Seriously great game.

Super SWIV I only glanced over, as enjoyable again as I remember. Plays great in 60Hz.

Gunstar Heroes...stunningly good. Hard to believe its on a Megadrive at times.

Doom on the SNES. Oh. my. god. I will say one thing though, soundtrack is impressive

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,806 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

EnterNow wrote: »
    Super Aleste is every.single.bit as brilliant as I remember. Even more so in 60Hz full RGB goodness. Seriously great game.

Stage 2 was the most amazing thing I'd ever seen at the time :)

With Aladdin on the SNES cleared, I'm onto Shockwave Assault on the PS1. A gem I used to own back in de dayz.

Oooh, gem mightn't be the right word to describe it nowadays :o

Just cleared The Windup Girl... oh wait, that's a book....

I am trying to apply myself to Deus Ex on the 360 but am finding the investment in time needed to finish it daunting, bear in mind I have only put in 2 hours so far!
    In fact, I traded in Batman Arkham City because I have no hope of getting to it in the next few months and so will be better off picking it up later on.
    Heck, I already have the online pass thingy in and got the nice keyring so why hang onto it, seems a little looser in structure than Arkham Asylum and that worries me somewhat.

I traded in Batman Arkham City because I have no hope of getting to it in the next few months and so will be better off picking it up later on........seems a little looser in structure than Arkham Asylum and that worries me somewhat.

Nooooo...play it, it's a great game. It IS looser in structure than AA though, you're right, and that's both it's biggest success and it's main niggling issue.

There's a staggering amount of things to do in it, and the open world environment and how batman interacts with it makes for a fantastic experience of what it's like to actually "be" batman, much more than in AA, but on the other hand, the story is much less linear, which is a negative against it. Asylum's storyline felt like everything was leading up to one main objective, instead of the kind of mish mash of related sub objectives in AC, all tied to a different villain. It made the story feel a bit like it had been written to suit the villains, rather than the opposite way around. Still though, it really is a must play game, and if you like batman you really have no excuse.

Also, what has all this got to do with retro? Call yourself a mod? Stay on topic!! :D

Master of the Universe

I still think the people who claim the last boss in Dark Souls was 'piss easy' are dirty rotten liars. Probably the only part of the game I'd consider 'frustrating' rather than 'challenging'. If I hadn't went out of my way to purchase the expensive 'uber-shield-spell', would still be trudging that long walk between the save point and the fog gate to this day.

That trudge between the save point and the fog gate are what killed me. I'd done it so many times that I had a route to run by all those black Knights to avoid being hit, but it still took its toll!

I am hoping it's going to be one of those cases where you put a game down, come back to it months later and somehow manage to pass the bit you were stuck on in one go. :D

I am hoping it's going to be one of those cases where you put a game down, come back to it months later and somehow manage to pass the bit you were stuck on in one go. :D

Ah yes, the phenomenon of getting better at a game by not playing it for a while. Bizarre one that is, happened me a few times :D

I was that soldier too.
    Can't remember which game it was but I got stuck, tried and tried, no joy, left the damn thing alone, came back a year later and off we went...

Took me 4 years to finish Shadows of the Colossus!

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Took me 4 years to finish Shadows of the Colossus!

Something similar happened to me (although I don't quite think it was four years!)

Just before you get to the biggest Colossus in the game, the huge tall chap who comes out of the ground with a sword - you have to run up a long ramp and jump across ont a pillar high up in the air.

Miss the jump - swim all the way back and try again. It's something similar to the issue I'm having with the end of Dark Souls, it really kills me having to play long sections in games like that over and over again. I just couldn't figure out the jump.

Gave up on it for ages. Thought it just wasnt for me - people must be mental the way they're going on about how great it is.

Went back to it, made the jump in one go - one of the best games I've ever played.

Yeah, if only I could have nominated two games in the deathmatch, SOTC would've been it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Yeah, if only I could have nominated two games in the deathmatch, SOTC would've been it.

Not sure I'd want to see that and Ico go head to head. Be like watching brothers fighting or something. Like that Warrior film, painful to watch but great stuff. :)

Master of the Universe

Ico and SOTC - The real Sophie's Choice.

Ico, everytime.
    As wonderful as SOTC is, and it is, it's a massive glorious boss battle chain.
    The character never really is that vulnerable because, well, we know what he is going to do to each and every one of the unique lifeforms in the game.
    He is the great white hunter, only there to destroy, despite love being his primary drive.
    Ico, on the other hand, is all about vulnerability, the weakness of Ico, the defencelessness of Yorda and the scale of the building you are within.
    You never conquer the building, only navigate it, destroying only the occasional crumbling fragment, ultimately the creatures you overcome are but shadows and the end boss is still vulnerable as you are.
    It is a masterclass in ever field.
    I would love to have a PS3 just to see those two games in HD and at a solid 30 frames a second, not to mention so I can play The Last Guardian, whenever they decide it's ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Playing a bit of a game I never heard of before on the 3DO.
    It's called Firewall and is dubbed in Korean :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

Jesus man,
    I remember playing that on a lads 3do up the road from me,that token Rich kid who had all the good gear and was a spa.

Thought it was the best thing i'd seen since sliced bread.
    The version I remember was in engrish though..Wouldn't say it makes a difference

• Registered Users Posts: 10,533 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

In work suffering with a hangover and I've probotector, adventure island, double dragon and galaga/galaxian lined up to play.

Why is there robots in probotector? Is it to do with censorship? I'm assuming Super Probotector is similiar.
    The gameboy is my favourite little bit of hardware to carry around. Forget that 3DS yoke

Don't get them started on the Contra Vs Probotector argument, it's awful watching nerds get tetchy... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,533 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Don't get them started on the Contra Vs Probotector argument, it's awful watching nerds get tetchy... ;)

I haven't played Super Probotector but it is the Euro version of Contra 3 right?

Advertisement