Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

CiDeRmAn wrote: »

Playing Rogue Galaxy now, not strictly retro I know, but it is not in the current gen and is awfully good, I can see it gracing the DS at some point though.

DS is becoming the home for JRPGs at the moment. Good thing in my opinion as I do a lot of my gaming on it.

I'm going to try some draqon quest on DS. Hey it's a graphical update of a retro game so still retro

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,692 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Must get into those DS Dragon Quest games. DQVIII was so good.

I'm not sure I could classify Rogue Galaxy as a JRPG. It was pretty good from what I played. Then Persona 3 came along :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

My bro picked one of those up, and yup it's pretty nice,
    BUT

Won't a PSP pretty much do everything it can do but better?
    I mean it has a bigger screen, stable emulators, it has tons of great homebrew.

My bro isn't all that impressed with the Dingo at all as a matter of fact.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,692 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

And the controls suck hard.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

As opposed to the controls on a Chinese made dodgy media player?
    Believe me, the Dingo is no great shakes.
    The emulators are not that good and you have to wonder just how long they will be supported, while the PSP homebrew scene is alive and well, not to mention the fact you can convert your entire PSone collection to work on the PSP, so I have Gran Turismo 2 now on the go, can't do that with a Dingo

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Must get into those DS Dragon Quest games. DQVIII was so good.

I'm not sure I could classify Rogue Galaxy as a JRPG. It was pretty good from what I played. Then Persona 3 came along :)

yes you should DQIV is great.

Btw, amazon are selling the roguelike Shiren for £6 on DS. Come on Retro, you know you want the frustration of a roguelike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

I'm trying to clear Zombies Ate My Neighbours on the Snes. Stuck in Splatterhouse 2 for MD. It'll take a serious session to get out of the current bit, you've jumped down some hole and after finding your girlfriend but she gets grabbed by demons.

I stick on Virtua Racing now and again because it's something different and I like the feel of it. I could play a much better racing game for the PSOne but...I just like Virtua Racing for the MD, it's cool.

Tetris Blast is in the Gameboy, love that game, brilliant. Castlevania is in the other bay of the FC Twin and I haven't, shamefully, played it in ages.

Castlevania is amazing.

I remember my mother brought me into town and bought it for me. I had to wait to her and my sisters girly film was over to play it. A few months later it was my birthday and a got sanyo portable so I could play it all I wanted. Good times

Btw, amazon are selling the roguelike Shiren for £6 on DS. Come on Retro, you know you want the frustration of a roguelike.

Hmm, never played a roguelike but retronauts are always on about that game. I'll have to give it a go some time.

I must say the Megadrive version of Virtua Racing was a fave of mine for a long time, it was better than the Saturn version and somehow better than the arcade perfect version on the Sega Collection on the PS2, the best I have played, outside of the arcade anyhow, is the 32X edition, very good indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 marty87

Castlevania is amazing.

A few months later it was my birthday and a got sanyo portable so I could play it all I wanted. Good times

Whats a sanyo portable?

marty87 wrote: »
    Whats a sanyo portable?

A 14" TV. For some reason they were called portables when they weren't that portable

back to topic, I've been playing DQIV all day. Got to 4th chapter. I think my eyes are going to fall out. Good game but its got some grinding in it which I'm not entirely use to. In FF games, its more based on progress of story. DQ while good story has some parts which require walking around a dungeon hoping for random drops from mobs. In Super Taisen Robot or Persona its not bad since the fights are really good fun.

I think DQ suffers from your characters not having much abilities so you are just bashing the A button through boring fights which seem very slow as well. I think other games like Super Taisen Robot and FF get away with this due to highly stylised moves.

Its a good game but sometimes it pisses me off and i feel I have to drag myself through it.

Whats a sanyo portable?

My gods, are we really that old or are they that young?

Personally I'm hoping they're joking, otherwise we'll get more of these questions, like...

What's a cassette?
    What's an RF?
    Who are Atari? Aren't they the guys that made Driver3, you mean they made consoles too!?
    Sonic, isn't he only in crap games?

And so on...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Who are Atari?
    And so on...

Atari made http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fahrenheit_(video_game)

They made that cutscence. All Hail Atari.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

Currently playing BADLANDS;
    bad_lands.png

It's one of the few games in Mame land that play as good today as I remembered. Brings back those addictive 'just one more go' feelings in spades :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,275 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Hmm, never played a roguelike but retronauts are always on about that game. I'll have to give it a go some time.

Ah here, and you give me stick for not having played Super Metroid?
    :D

Download Nethack, download it now! One of the best games ever made. And it's free.
    The depth to is is just mind blowing. Not to mention the difficulty level. You're dead and that's it, back to the start with you, no amulet of yendor this time.

Actually, whatever you do, make sure you only play it is ASCII mode. And no savescumming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

I was playing some MegaDrive while the Wimbledon was on. I got out Pete Sampras tennis and damn I couldn't play the feckin thing at all so I got frustrated and gave up. I remember a cheat or something where you could get big balls and stuff... coulnd't find it again.

At the minute I've got an N64 switched on and I'm ploughing through a few titles looking for a good 2player.
    Looks like WrestleMania 2000 and Goldeneye will be the decider :cool:

My gods, are we really that old or are they that young?

Personally I'm hoping they're joking, otherwise we'll get more of these questions, like...

What's a cassette?
    What's an RF?
    Who are Atari? Aren't they the guys that made Driver3, you mean they made consoles too!?
    Sonic, isn't he only in crap games?

And so on...

Well Ciderman I just thought this was a snes version of the sega nomad or something, got me excited for a moment, is there actuallly any nintendo version? (I'm anticipating someone saying the gameboy but that is nothing like what the nomad is to megadrive)

I was always a mitubishi man myself when it came to tv's. I'm not that young I don't think? my first console was a snes though so I do often ask people " Sonic, isn't he only in crap games?" :p

Now now, 16 bit Sonic is great, no arguements, move along.
    As for a Nintendo Portable, at least a portable version of their home consoles, I suppose they made far too much money reheating existing games for the handhelds, and anyway, the Gameboy was a monochrome NES, many of the games being slightly altered if at all from the home editions, Super Mario Bros on the Gameboy Color, Kirby on the GB, and the GBA seemed to play host to a huge number of Snes ports, again aside from a couple of modifications for the new button count and the smaller screen the games seemed to move over fairly painlessly, so you have the Super Mario Series and the rest.
    At least Ninty did release "new" Snes games, the likes of Super Metroid Fusion for example.

But that I'd say is why they never made a portable version of the Snes, although the portable Megadrive, the Nomad, never set the world on fire now, did it?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,275 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

although the portable Megadrive, the Nomad, never set the world on fire now, did it?

Bad marketing and battery life did that. Any time I ever mention it to anyone they go 'oh yeah, the Gamegear'.

'No I'm talking about a handheld you can slot Megadrive games directly in to and has a signal out that you can plug into your tv'

'WTF??? I want!'

A portable Snes with decent battery life would have sold truck loads.

As for Mitsubishi TVs, I have a lovely CRT one that I still play games on. Only problem is the remote has since broken and there is no way of tuning in on the TV. So I can't play my 2600 on it :( Only scart stuff for the moment.
    Got a replacement remote and it does everything bar bringing up the station tune in menu. Any ideas?!

• Advertisement

Well I think I'm burnt out on DQIV. Can't seem to be bothered to do chapter 4 when I have better RPGs waiting to be played. I think it's the leveling of each character up from lv1 that puts me off. I like a choice of spells.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I might give Time Crisis a go on PS. I'm in the mood for something arcadey

But that I'd say is why they never made a portable version of the Snes, although the portable Megadrive, the Nomad, never set the world on fire now, did it?

No but it was an amazingly useful idea, lets you play your megadrive in the sitting room without disrupting your housemates. they should build a modern portable Snes with a good battery life and screen. Any takers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭vangoz

Indiana jones and the fate of atlantis (PC)
    System shock 2 (PC)

Next up...... Grim Fandango!!:)

screenshot1334-1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

Kirby's adventure for the NES and Bomberman '94 for the Turbografix :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Not strictly retro, but I'm making my way through Secret of Monkey Island Special Edition on my laptop. I've also managed to get ScummVM working on my iPhone and playing my way through Fate of Atlantis. I must give The Dig a bash once I've finished FoA. I haven't played The Dig in years so no doubt I'll get stumped on some of the puzzles once you get in to the underground section.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

No but it was an amazingly useful idea, lets you play your megadrive in the sitting room without disrupting your housemates. they should build a modern portable Snes with a good battery life and screen. Any takers?
    It's been done.

http://www.youtube.com/user/joedog86

Syndicate on the Snes looks awful, the little guys with their bright coloured hair, much better are the PC/Amiga versions, even the Megadrive version is better, visulas darker.
    Syndicate Wars on the PS1 also brilliant.
    Have to say Bulldog released some truely great games, aside from HiOctane, that sucked.
    I poured weeks into Magic Carpet, a fantastic game, well ahead of it's time, very atmospheric, excellent spells.
    Nothing quite beats running a valley through your enemoes castle, or causing a volcano to erupt in the midst of his fortress, Mwa Ha HA!

pinksoir wrote: »

Wow, I am inspired!

Wonder how hard it will be to make it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Grabbed Secret of monkey island Special Edition and am loving it. I especially like the way you can switch between the original game and the new one at the push of a key. I would love if they did this with more of the SCUMM adventures :)

Advertisement