Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

C64 Mini

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,433 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

This was just posted to their YouTube channel. No sign of new firmware yet, but could it be today?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Mr E wrote: »
    This was just posted to their YouTube channel. No sign of new firmware yet, but could it be today?

Looks like it's time for me to buy one of these!
    Superb, I have a ton of games in mind that I want to play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Looks like it's time for me to buy one of these!
    Superb, I have a ton of games in mind that I want to play.

I thought you were a Zx spectrum fan? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,845 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

5rtytry56 wrote: »
    I thought you were a Zx spectrum fan? :)

It's a disgrace quite frankly!

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'm non system specific, I can swing either way baby!

Fancy Paradroid followed by Quazatron, I can do it no problem!

v1.1.0 is out now. :)

https://thec64.com/upgrade/
    1.1.0 includes:

New File Loader functionality. Please see ‘File Loader’ for full details
    Further improvements to response times
    Fixing one small issue with the German Virtual Keyboard
    Adding the missing help function in ‘Avenger’ to a joystick button

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Danick

Mr E wrote: »
    v1.1.0 is out now. :)

I have been waiting patiently for this update - I only took it out of the box to look at it on release day. I also want to use a usb joypad with it or is there any way to use my original zipsticks or cruisers with it?

Thanks

Nope. Needs a joystick with at least 8 buttons. No way to map buttons either, so support for gamepads is patchy too.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭djsim101

Think it's time to open this baby up, unopened since launch. Although might wait till Xmas at this stage to relive Christmas youth of 1990 :-)

• Advertisement

I'll add it to my list for Santy, have to stop the naughtiness now...

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Los Lobos

The update has definitely made a difference to the response for the supplied joystick, played a good bit of Boulder dash and gribblys day out just now, very happy with the difference.

Off topic, but if anyone wants to get their blocky brown fix on the go, the Odroid Go now has a pretty good C64 emulator.

Edit: It's the Frodo emulator.

v1.1.1 of the firmware is out (containing a USB fix)

Great to see that this update supports T64 and PRG files too.

What do you guys think of the new update? Can you load multi load games? Does anyone use a different usb joystick/joypad? I have an xbox 360 usb joypad - would that work with it? - Has anyone tried using a powered usb hub with it so you can have a usb drive and a keyboard plugged in at the same time?

Any help greatly appreciated - I bought mine at launch but didn't fancy playing it with the included joystick and I didn't really have any of the included games as a kid so there was no nostalgic trip for me. Since launch I have stuck with my trusty C64C but I'm intrigued by the new firmware for the mini.

Honestly? Still in the box since the firmware update. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Los Lobos

Danick wrote: »
    What do you guys think of the new update? Can you load multi load games? Does anyone use a different usb joystick/joypad? I have an xbox 360 usb joypad - would that work with it? - Has anyone tried using a powered usb hub with it so you can have a usb drive and a keyboard plugged in at the same time?

Any help greatly appreciated - I bought mine at launch but didn't fancy playing it with the included joystick and I didn't really have any of the included games as a kid so there was no nostalgic trip for me. Since launch I have stuck with my trusty C64C but I'm intrigued by the new firmware for the mini.

Not sure about multiload games, but the update makes a HUGE difference, insofar as you can whip a crapton of games onto a usb stick and have them all available to you on screen.

I only used .tap and .d64 files, so had to wait for them to load.

My only gripe now is the joystick broke in my hand while in the middle of a game of Turrican II, they really are badly put together. They don't handle well for games where you need do do a lot of diagonal jumps, like Turrican, Bubble Bobble etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

I'm thinking of one for Christmas, although I'm also thinking of re-capping my original C64 that's on the attic and using that with one of the SD Loader thingies.....
    Suggestions ?

deadl0ck wrote: »
    I'm thinking of one for Christmas, although I'm also thinking of re-capping my original C64 that's on the attic and using that with one of the SD Loader thingies.....
    Suggestions ?

Recapping it is probably a good idea - If you are getting the SD2IEC then you may as well pick up an Epyx Fast Load cartridge - I grew up with tape downloads but when I got back into C64 a few years ago I bought these and never looked back.

The joystick is horrible for the C64 mini - its leaf switch rather than micro switch - I am wondering if anyone has used a usb hub and simultaneously powered a usb joypad, usb stick and usb keyboard?

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭alpahaeagle

Recapping it is probably a good idea - If you are getting the SD2IEC then you may as well pick up an Epyx Fast Load cartridge - I grew up with tape downloads but when I got back into C64 a few years ago I bought these and never looked back.

The joystick is horrible for the C64 mini - its leaf switch rather than micro switch - I am wondering if anyone has used a usb hub and simultaneously powered a usb joypad, usb stick and usb keyboard?

I was watching the 8bit guy on youtube and he used a usb hub on the mini...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Leaf switch is more authentic though, all the typical C64 joysticks like Quickshot were all leaf spring.
    I used to repair them for the other kids when I was in school, the lid off a tin of beans proved to be more reliable substitute when cut to shape :)

Only the rich kids had micro switched joysticks :(

Leaf switch is more authentic though, all the typical C64 joysticks like Quickshot were all leaf spring.
    I used to repair them for the other kids when I was in school, the lid off a tin of beans proved to be more reliable substitute when cut to shape :)

I'm pretty sure the Quickshot 2 that came with our computer in 1984 was micro-switched. I remember picking up a power play cruiser and being hugely disappointed as Commodore Format heavily promoted it - I bought it in a shop in Galway and couldn't understand why it got such good reviews. I later realised that there were two versions and that I had bought a leaf switched one rather than a microswitched one. It was only when I got my hands on a zipstick that I realised the true power of a microswitched joystick. A few year's ago I picked up a Power Play microswitched Cruiser and quickly realised why Commodore Format were raving about it back in the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

I'm pretty sure the Quickshot 2 that came with our computer in 1984 was micro-switched. I remember picking up a power play cruiser and being hugely disappointed as Commodore Format heavily promoted it - I bought it in a shop in Galway and couldn't understand why it got such good reviews. I later realised that there were two versions and that I had bought a leaf switched one rather than a microswitched one. It was only when I got my hands on a zipstick that I realised the true power of a microswitched joystick. A few year's ago I picked up a Power Play microswitched Cruiser and quickly realised why Commodore Format were raving about it back in the day.

That was a quickshot 2 plus you had,those had microswitches as did the turbo.The first qs2 had leaf contacts.

The Competition Pro it's clearly modelled off was microswitched. They've just cheaped out, which is a shame because they appear to have worked quite hard on the emulation side of things.

I wonder if the innards of a zipstick could be popped in there, I have one here perfect for such a project.
    All I need is a C64 Mini!
    I think it might be a Santy present request!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

problem with the c64 mini joystick is it's basically a D-pad with a stick stuck on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Taking an original Zipstick and adding the extra buttons/converting to USB would be more reliable option - but its a lot of hassle for something like this.

SD adapter for an actual C64 might be better.
    I think I need a new keyboard membrane for mine too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

I would always recommend recapping the original C64 and getting an SD2IEC + FastLoader cartridge for it, if you have one and can do the job. Don't get me wrong, the 64 mini and emulation are great for that quick fix and for giving access to an immense array of games, especially for those who may have never owned/used a C64 and are wondering what the fuss is about.

But firing up the good old C64, the keyboard feel, the joysticks and even fiddling with the 1530 Datassette...it's got that "back to 1986" feel!

You'll also notice some interesting things that escaped your 8-years-old-self:

- Not two VIC-II chips have the same video output quality;
    - Loading from the cassette...is not as painful as we remember; Maybe it's because some PC/Xbox One/PS4 games, now, take similar amounts of time to load between screens...
    - The 64 was a much more capable and powerful machine than we realized at the time...if you never tried GeOS, take a look...
    - Games were bloody difficult :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,424 ✭✭✭Inviere

Advertisement