Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What is the best jeep to buy?

Options
  • 04-05-2018 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭

I am looking at buying a jeep for a small bit of towing. My budget is €1000-€3000, what is the most reliable jeep to buy?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭Odelay

Kia sorento. The passenger versions are dirt cheap. I got a 2005 in feb, was taxed to July, nctd to jan 2019, one owner and 116k miles for €1400.
    While not a farm jeep, it is rated to tow 2800kgs. It's grand for occasional towing.
    Takes a while to find a right one however...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭squinn2912

That looks a serious bit of bargaining!

squinn2912 wrote: »
    That looks a serious bit of bargaining!

It wasn't! They had it advertised for €1500 on a Tuesday. Got time off work and after a few checks told him I'd be there in two hours.
    The weekend is a bad time to buy cars. Look for ads midweek. Retired couple that had bought a new car. He even drove it back for me. Full service history, hasn't missed a beat since.

Jesus that was some doing! I’ll have to remember that midweek advice! Just looked at a few of them online there round that age/mileage and they’re round 3k stg!

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭farmer2018

Odelay wrote: »
    Kia sorento. The passenger versions are dirt cheap. I got a 2005 in feb, was taxed to July, nctd to jan 2019, one owner and 116k miles for €1400.
    While not a farm jeep, it is rated to tow 2800kgs. It's grand for occasional towing.

Did you convert to commercial? How do you find it on diesel?

• Advertisement

Jesus that was some doing! I’ll have to remember that midweek advice! Just looked at a few of them online there round that age/mileage and they’re round 3k stg!

I had looked at the uk but between flights, ferry, vrt and rust issues from the amount of salt they spread on the roads I couldn't justify it.
    When checking make sure it is in the owners name and hasn't been traded recently. Also him offering to drive it home for me showed that he had confidence in the car.
    Don't think I'll ever get a bargain like it again. Being honest I'd happily have paid €3k for it considering the good condition it was in.

farmer2018 wrote: »
    Did you convert to commercial? How do you find it on diesel?

No, I don't think the cost of it is worthwhile. You still have to pay tax and the commercial insurance is more expensive.
    She's not as bad on diesel as a landcruiser but nothing is cheap on diesel. Scared to measure properly... but for rough figures I get 250 miles for €50. Tis harder than the older one but much more powerful.
    Don't bother with the manuals, the autos are far better ( and cheaper to buy). There is another poster on here that had one, he will also confirm the autos are better.

Fair play to you you had the homework done anyway. All the best with it. Would you be happy towing a box full of cattle with it?

Fair play to you you had the homework done anyway. All the best with it. Would you be happy towing a box full of cattle with it?

No! Wouldn't class it as a farm jeep. I'm very cautious about what I tow, regardless of viechle.

Right thanks. I would be tempted to change the car sick of it getting abuse on the roads. I’d like something that would pull the trailer though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 Boilermaker

No, I don't think the cost of it is worthwhile. You still have to pay tax and the commercial insurance is more expensive.

Is the tax on them €1080? Commercial tax would be a tax saving of €750 a year.
    €40 in the difference between Cvrt and NCT, were down to a €710 saving per year.
    And rough difference between commercial and private insurance?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,959 ✭✭✭emaherx

And rough difference between commercial and private insurance?

Im paying a lot less for my 2.5L commercial Jeep policy than my 1.5L private car. 500 for Commercial V 700 Private, both Comprehensive with FBD.

Commercial insurance is cheaper than private vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭Who2

Commercial insurance is cheaper than private vehicle.

Problem may be the no claims bonus. Commercial insurance no claims won’t transfer across to private and likewise so some may end up starting from scratch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭yellow50HX

I am looking at buying a jeep for a small bit of towing. My budget is €1000-€3000, what is the most reliable jeep to buy?

Depends on mileage, what your using it for how much you wanna pay in diesel. Jeep will cost €1,000! A year on tax, test and insurance before even getting on the road.

The land cruiser is the bench mark TBH look around the marts and building sites and it mostly them and hilux's you will see.

Pajero's have their fans too and the horsey crowd still go for the land rovers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

Ranger or mazda b2500...... Bomb proof

Pidae.m wrote: »

There doesn't seem to be many of these for sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,071 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Pidae.m wrote: »

Big thumbs up for the ranger ,I actually have a 07 one for sale atm if interested ......

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Big thumbs up for the ranger ,I actually have a 07 one for sale atm if interested ......

Is it on done deal? Price?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,071 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Is it on done deal? Price?

Nope not yet ,driving perfect going for doe next week then for sale .needs 2 Tyres and brake/indicator light cover replaced outside of that driving sweet .4wd works perfect ,air con /leather seats etc etc .will be advertised for circa 5500 .im trading up to newer model ranger

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Gobble deGook

Wouldn't recommend of of those
    They drink fuel, road tax is very high, noisy engine
    Bit like owning a tractor!

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Alibaba

Am on the lookout myself for something also.

How does the Hyundai Santa Fe compare with all these ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Alibaba wrote: »
    Am on the lookout myself for something also.

How does the Hyundai Santa Fe compare with all these ?

Doesn’t really have a high towing capacity.

There’s a few old type hiluxs on done deal that can be bought around 3-4K. Even with massive mileage they would be 100 times better than a Santa Fe. Next to impossible to kill them.

Doesn’t really have a high towing capacity.

It surely would pull a trailer with two cows.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭billie holiday

In my honest opinion Toyota Hi Lux agus Landcruiser are just so reliable and tough and comfortable to drive. I would find it hard to leave Toyota lad. Yes they are dear but i never had regrets about buying them. They hold value too.

What's people's thoughts on Kia Sorentos?

What's people's thoughts on Kia Sorentos?

Another half arsed car effort that should be kept in the city with people who like the idea of driving a Jeep.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Bought an 08 Nissan navarra crew cab the aventura model top off the range automatic leather seats heated seats electric adjustable seats sunroof sat nav cruise control 6 disc CD changer multi function steering wheel alloy wheels and full chrome pack... everything working as it should taxed and tested till end off the year for €3150 2 months ago off a farmer who I knew was changing... bad points on jeep are back tailgate rough enough as it chrome back bumper will need tyres for test and there's 200k miles on clock but I've receipts from a engine replacement last year he had done but he doesn't know miles on replacement engine.

• Advertisement

Lambman wrote: »
    Bought an 08 Nissan navarra crew cab the aventura model top off the range automatic leather seats heated seats electric adjustable seats sunroof sat nav cruise control 6 disc CD changer multi function steering wheel alloy wheels and full chrome pack... everything working as it should taxed and tested till end off the year for €3150 2 months ago off a farmer who I knew was changing... bad points on jeep are back tailgate rough enough as it chrome back bumper will need tyres for test and there's 200k miles on clock but I've receipts from a engine replacement last year he had done but he doesn't know miles on replacement engine.

Have a good look in under it. They are splitting at the cab. Upshot is Nissan will give you 7k for it if you buy a new one, but I wouldn’t mention or drive up in it until after the deal was done.

Advertisement