Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best vet in Dublin/Wicklow/Kildare region....

• 13-09-2019 12:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭

We have an 11 month old collie/shepherd cross who is plagued with skin problems. We've tried everything from antibiotics, anti inflammatories, cytopoint, highly restrictive diet (Hill's z/d prescription only), shampoos, flea/tick medications, everything. So far he just cant shake it. Allergy testing is the next step once hes 12 months old and had a full yearly cycle of exposure to all potential allergens.
    Its really affecting the quality of his coat and his general quality of life, especially when its bad. The cytopoint worked wonders the first time, but second time its been a bit of a let down. So far, the anti inflammatory seems to work best and quickest.
    So looking for the best vet we can find to treat this issue and help him get better. Whatever it costs we dont care. Just want to see him happy and without this dreadful discomfort.
    Any recommendations very much appreciated, especially from anyone who has experienced similar issues with their dogs.
    Thanks.

I might also add hes been tested for mites, mange etc and all has come back negative.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

ucd vet hospital ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭mobby

Hills Pet Food :eek: Could be the issue. While never have had to use this vet myself, have only heard good things about her. http://www.holisticvetdublin.com/
    If you have tried other vets without success maybe give them a call.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

terrydel wrote: »
    We have an 11 month old collie/shepherd cross who is plagued with skin problems. We've tried everything from antibiotics, anti inflammatories, cytopoint, highly restrictive diet (Hill's z/d prescription only), shampoos, flea/tick medications, everything. So far he just cant shake it. Allergy testing is the next step once hes 12 months old and had a full yearly cycle of exposure to all potential allergens.
    Its really affecting the quality of his coat and his general quality of life, especially when its bad. The cytopoint worked wonders the first time, but second time its been a bit of a let down. So far, the anti inflammatory seems to work best and quickest.
    So looking for the best vet we can find to treat this issue and help him get better. Whatever it costs we dont care. Just want to see him happy and without this dreadful discomfort.
    Any recommendations very much appreciated, especially from anyone who has experienced similar issues with their dogs.
    Thanks.

I might also add hes been tested for mites, mange etc and all has come back negative.

OP have you considered his diet? 95% of the time allergies are linked to diet

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

cocker5 wrote: »

I thought allergic reactions to food were less likely than reactions to environmental causes?

Choc Chip wrote: »
    I thought allergic reactions to food were less likely than reactions to environmental causes?

I'm sure dogs can be allergy to all sorts of things but a lot of the time its linked back to diet:

https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/5-signs-your-dog-has-food-allergies/

https://peterdobias.com/blogs/blog/11808633-unravelling-the-myth-of-allergies-in-dogs

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

Sure that's just internet links, here's one saying that food allergies are only 10 - 15% of all reactions: https://www.avodermnatural.com/blog/dog-food-allergy-symptoms ;)

I'm not trying to be pedantic, and it's possible that it is food, I just don't think that it's 95% of all allergic reactions.

With any luck DBB will arrive along soon with a study and prove us both wrong. :pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Choc Chip wrote: »
    With any luck DBB will arrive along soon with a study and prove us both wrong. :pac:

:o
    All I can tell you that food allergies are the underlying problem in about 25% of affected westies.
    All white breeds, but also GSDs and Staffies of any colour, seem to be very prone to skin issues.
    I'd also recommend ditching the dry food OP, simply because your dog *may* be reacting to storage mites in it. You'll also need to avoid chicken and beef, and all grains. Have a look at the wet food available on zooplus.ie, the really good quality, high meat ones like Rocco, Rinti, Lukullus, Naturediet... there are loads of them really, and try your dog on an exclusion diet, preferably based on a novel protein which he hasn't already been exposed to... maybe game, rabbit, venison, turkey, lamb, and definitely, definitely get oily fish into him.
    As for vets, Eamon Moore in Blackrock Vet Clinic is a superstar. Great vet, sound fella.
    No disrespect, but given that homeopathy has been completely discredited as having no more than a potential placebo effect (which animals generally aren't influenced by, though their owners are!), I have an inbuilt aversion to any medical doctor or veterinary surgeon who advertises themselves as providing homeopathic treatment. It just grates on my nerves:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

mobby wrote: »
    Hills Pet Food :eek: Could be the issue. While never have had to use this vet myself, have only heard good things about her. http://www.holisticvetdublin.com/
    If you have tried other vets without success maybe give them a call.

He had the problem before he went onto hills. When he first went onto the prescription diet, he get so much better, but was also on antibiotics at the time. When the medication finished and he remained on the diet, he was well for a few weeks, but it's back now, and the second cytopoint injection hasn't had the effect of the first unfortunately. I'll check that vet out, thanks.

Yes, he went into hills z/d only, absolutely nothing else at all, and cleared up completely then, tho was also in antibiotics. He remained well for weeks after the antibiotics ended and he was still eating nothing but this dog food.

DBB wrote: »
    :o
    All I can tell you that food allergies are the underlying problem in about 25% of affected westies.
    All white breeds, but also GSDs and Staffies of any colour, seem to be very prone to skin issues.
    I'd also recommend ditching the dry food OP, simply because your dog *may* be reacting to storage mites in it. You'll also need to avoid chicken and beef, and all grains. Have a look at the wet food available on zooplus.ie, the really good quality, high meat ones like Rocco, Rinti, Lukullus, Naturediet... there are loads of them really, and try your dog on an exclusion diet, preferably based on a novel protein which he hasn't already been exposed to... maybe game, rabbit, venison, turkey, lamb, and definitely, definitely get oily fish into him.
    As for vets, Eamon Moore in Blackrock Vet Clinic is a superstar. Great vet, sound fella.
    No disrespect, but given that homeopathy has been completely discredited as having no more than a potential placebo effect (which animals generally aren't influenced by, though their owners are!), I have an inbuilt aversion to any medical doctor or veterinary surgeon who advertises themselves as providing homeopathic treatment. It just grates on my nerves:o

Thanks for the good advice. We've cut out chicken and beef, and the z/d hills is grain free. Will look at those foods. We've been really strict with his diet for a long time but the issues have returned. Will look up that vet also. Thanks again

• Advertisement

Yes, he went into hills z/d only, absolutely nothing else at all, and cleared up completely then, tho was also in antibiotics. He remained well for weeks after the antibiotics ended and he was still eating nothing but this dog food.

Personally I’d move him off all kibble .. DBB has recommended so tinned foods ... if it were me I’d move to home cooked or RAW... and see what happens.

Personally I’d move him off all kibble .. DBB has recommended so tinned foods ... if it were me I’d move to home cooked or RAW... and see what happens.

We've always cooked for our dogs. We've this guy who's 11 months and a female collie /boxer/bulldog mix who 3 and a half.
    We cook plain rice with chicken or turkey or beef and maybe one veg, or replace the rice with mash potato. They love it, and we think it's great for them. But we were advised to reduce him down to one food to see we could identify of the cause was food. We did that and he got better, but could have been the antibiotics. He stayed well when we reintroduced a bit of rice and then chicken. Then out of nowhere it returned, worse than before. I think we will deffo try going off the dried food if he isn't better by the time the current bag is gone. Happy to try the wet food with home cooked. It's just so difficult to narrow down possible causes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Here's a picture of the patient :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭jellybear

As above, a bit further than you wanted but, I'd highly recommend Paul Kelly in Ratoath.

Here's a picture of the patient :)

Ohhhh he’s a beauty!!!

I’d remove all poultry from his diet..
    stick to one protein source... only for a few months

He's gorgeous op :)
    I wonder have you or your vet thought about other medication alternatives? Maybe Apoquel, or good old-fashioned cyclosporin (eg Atopica, Cyclavance)?
    I'm sure you've also considered this as it does seem like you've been really thorough, but you haven't noticed any pattern with season, or weather patterns? Say, for example, after there have been hayfever warnings on the weather forecasts? How about him having access to freshly cut grass? Any very pollen-y plants in his environment? How about detergents or cleaning products? Anything like that in the environment that might be sparking it?

He's gorgeous op :)
    I wonder have you or your vet thought about other medication alternatives? Maybe Apoquel, or good old-fashioned cyclosporin (eg Atopica, Cyclavance)?
    I'm sure you've also considered this as it does seem like you've been really thorough, but you haven't noticed any pattern with season, or weather patterns? Say, for example, after there have been hayfever warnings on the weather forecasts? How about him having access to freshly cut grass? Any very pollen-y plants in his environment? How about detergents or cleaning products? Anything like that in the environment that might be sparking it?

Thanks.
    He's had two cytopoint injections, seemed to have brilliant results almost immediately the first time, but not worked anywhere near as good the second time. I'll do some research on those medications and speak to the vet about them. We've no issues with the vets we've tried it's just he's not getting better and it's heartbreaking to see.
    We live in a rural area and he gets to play and run around the lakes nearby regularly, so deffo could be environmental, but we've not noticed anything in terms of th be weather. We did think lying on cut grass might be a cause a while back but it's come back now without him being near that after we moved house a few weeks ago. We've changed detergent too with no luck. My belief is it's environmental, and he will have blood add allergy tests at 12 months

I feel so sorry for you and him, it's horrible not having any answers. Hopefully the allergy testing will come up with something. I've a cousin with a chronically itchy labrador who went through the mill just like you, the only thing that ended up working was... wait for it... kangaroo meat :o
    It can help an itchy dog who's reacting to something environmental, to have them wear a light coat/babygro that covers as much of the body as possible. Also to give the exposed bits a wipe down with a solution of 4 parts water to 1 part apple cider vinegar at least once daily, preferably when he gets in from a walk or anywhere he may have been exposed to things.
    Just one final thought (until my next final thought)... I know you've had him checked for mites, but has he been checked during this latest outbreak? We're in the thick of harvest mite season right now, and they are relentless. I've had the pleasure of being bitten by them... omg the itching >_<. I'm just wondering if something like that could have sparked this episode, despite it having been ruled out before?

I feel so sorry for you and him, it's horrible not having any answers. Hopefully the allergy testing will come up with something. I've a cousin with a chronically itchy labrador who went through the mill just like you, the only thing that ended up working was... wait for it... kangaroo meat :o
    It can help an itchy dog who's reacting to something environmental, to have them wear a light coat/babygro that covers as much of the body as possible. Also to give the exposed bits a wipe down with a solution of 4 parts water to 1 part apple cider vinegar at least once daily, preferably when he gets in from a walk or anywhere he may have been exposed to things.
    Just one final thought (until my next final thought)... I know you've had him checked for mites, but has he been checked during this latest outbreak? We're in the thick of harvest mite season right now, and they are relentless. I've had the pleasure of being bitten by them... omg the itching >_<. I'm just wondering if something like that could have sparked this episode, despite it having been ruled out before?

Cheers, appreciate the kind words.
    Will try the apple cider vinegar, my dad uses it on a rash be has actually. We've plenty of dog coats but he doesn't like being too warm, and he loves to swim, and believe it or not we've a stream in our new garden since we moved a month ago and he's always in it. We lived next to blessington lake before that and he was in there most days. When he got the snip at six months he couldn't go in for a few weeks but the rash remained so we ruled out the beach and swimming.
    He's not been checked for mites since a few months back when they took a skin graft. He's up to date on his mite, tick and flea medication since however. On a good note, it's looking better today, so maybe he's on the mend again. Let's see how he is tomorrow. 😊

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

We've always cooked for our dogs. We've this guy who's 11 months and a female collie /boxer/bulldog mix who 3 and a half.
    We cook plain rice with chicken or turkey or beef and maybe one veg, or replace the rice with mash potato. They love it, and we think it's great for them. But we were advised to reduce him down to one food to see we could identify of the cause was food. We did that and he got better, but could have been the antibiotics. He stayed well when we reintroduced a bit of rice and then chicken. Then out of nowhere it returned, worse than before. I think we will deffo try going off the dried food if he isn't better by the time the current bag is gone. Happy to try the wet food with home cooked. It's just so difficult to narrow down possible causes

I really really feel for you. Skin issues are the absolute pits - so hard to identify the source of the problem, to isolate the problem cause. One of our dogs was demented with hot spots, we tried everything under the sun. Our neighbour has a fab GSD - absolutely adored dog - they have spent literally fortunes trying to get him some relief from his skin issues - nothing is working - heartbreaking. They found recently that he has an alergy to grass - a really difficult one.

As you said above you when you reintroduced chicken and rice your dog flared again - start there by removing both
    Eamonn Moore as DBB says is definitely worth a consultation if you can get there.

aonb wrote: »
    I really really feel for you. Skin issues are the absolute pits - so hard to identify the source of the problem, to isolate the problem cause. One of our dogs was demented with hot spots, we tried everything under the sun. Our neighbour has a fab GSD - absolutely adored dog - they have spent literally fortunes trying to get him some relief from his skin issues - nothing is working - heartbreaking. They found recently that he has an alergy to grass - a really difficult one.

As you said above you when you reintroduced chicken and rice your dog flared again - start there by removing both
    Eamonn Moore as DBB says is definitely worth a consultation if you can get there.

Cheers for the kind words. Sorry for confusion, the rash didnt return til a couple of weeks after the reintroduction of chicken and rice, so my understanding is that would indicate its not the cause, as with severe allegeries like this, it would come back very quickly if not instantly. Hes a lot better over last couple of days, hes back on the cooked food as we just decided to give him a break from the constant dried food to cheer him up if nothing else. The difference in his coat is noticeable, it feels and smells much better and the rash is still dissappearing.

That's very encouraging... keep us posted on how he goes now, won't you? :)
    I'd be interested to know what the allergy testing reveals when you get it done :)

That's very encouraging... keep us posted on how he goes now, won't you? :)
    I'd be interested to know what the allergy testing reveals when you get it done :)

Will do indeed.
    We'll book him in for the allergy just after his first birthday in a few weeks so will deffo post an update.
    Cheers.

Will do indeed.
    We'll book him in for the allergy just after his first birthday in a few weeks so will deffo post an update.
    Cheers.

Just a quick update on our guy.
    Hes a year old on Monday, so will be booking him in for allergy blood tests after that, but hes much improved, not sure exactly why, but altho he still has a few dry patches and scabs, they are way way down and hes scratching pretty much the same as any normal dog, and the hair loss has reduced dramatically, and the quality of his coat is much improved.
    Hes eating a combination of the prescription only hills food and home cooked rice/chicken/turkey some veg and no snacks or treats.
    So far so good!

Just a quick update on our guy.
    Hes a year old on Monday, so will be booking him in for allergy blood tests after that, but hes much improved, not sure exactly why, but altho he still has a few dry patches and scabs, they are way way down and hes scratching pretty much the same as any normal dog, and the hair loss has reduced dramatically, and the quality of his coat is much improved.
    Hes eating a combination of the prescription only hills food and home cooked rice/chicken/turkey some veg and no snacks or treats.
    So far so good!

So glad to hear he’s improved! Fingers crossed you can get to the bottom of the root cause and he clears up completely!

Best of luck

So glad to hear he’s improved! Fingers crossed you can get to the bottom of the root cause and he clears up completely!

Best of luck

Thank you. Its great to see him no longer in discomfort. He's such a happy fella by nature but he was really struggling with it. He can get back swimming now which he loves.

Advertisement