Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Are we using best allocation of available funds

Options
  • 11-09-2019 12:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭

Hi All

First time poster but a lurker for years. Any advice would be fantastic. In fact just sitting down and writing out our current position has been somewhat helpful.

My Details:
    Age 41
    PAYE Worker & Director of current employers with a small shareholding
    Income €55,000
    Bonus approx. €15,000 PA, of which €5,000 PA single contribution made by business to my pension in addition to that noted below.

Pension: New Ireland Executive Pension (Passive Iris)
    Current Value €79,000
    Current Employer Contribution @ €700pm
    Current Employee Contribution @ €500pm
    Projected Fund Value at retirement (aged 65) @ €627,500
    Spouse Details:

Age 42
    Teacher In position since 1998, so 21 years service
    Income €65,000
    Pension Teachers’ Pension
    AVC’s Current annual contributions @ €5,800 (monthly circa €450)
    Current Value @ €77,000
    Projected value at retirement age of 55 @ €222,423
    (100% Cornmarket Balanced 0 Strategy 5 years)

Other:

●3 children, youngest is 3 years old
    ●Main PDH – Currently € 110K Mortgage O/S (value circa 430K) (20 years outstanding)
    ●Rental Property – Currently € 90K Mortgage O/S (value circa €120K) (was my wifes before we met, has only begun to "wash its face" )
    monthly rental income @ €800 / Mortgage @ €810
    ●Investment Purchase of Commercial Site / Land – value circa €60K but should increase. Mortgage free.
    ●Shareholding – currently hold a small shareholding of business which if sold today would be worth approx. €100,000. This cannot be divested until such time my employment ceases or I retire. It has been agreed that the business will purchase / I will give back these shares in the most tax efficient way possible – basically am saying that there will be a flexible position taken by both parties when the time comes to part ways.

●in the position that parents have already shared their living will and in the future I / my estate will benefit as follows:

-- Rental property – (currently €600 monthly income / €120K Value)
    -- Foreign Holiday Home – (no current income from same /€200K Value)

Queries
    Embarrassed to say neither my wife or myself have ever got a proper handle on retirement planning.
    A colleague mentioned to her that as she has contributed to AVC’s since beginning employment she is most likely paying too many AVC’s which prompted us to look at our situation.
    Does anyone have an opinion / advice as to whether from an efficiency point of view is she is paying too much in AVC’s and if this should instead be taken as income which would allow, either
    myself to increase my contributions
    Pay down the mortgage on one of the properties
    My wife to take out a separate pension rather than continue to pay into AVC’s.
    While our house is our main asset, and the following would not be ideal, in the future when kids are beyond college we would not discount moving into the investment property and thereafter letting out the house which would currently command €24K rent P.A.

Ideally we would both like to retire early if at all possible, especially my wife – is she able to buy years given the level of AVC’s paid up and possibly go at 50 ?
    Alternatively we have spoken about possibly taking a career break ( her 1 year, myself 6 months) and taking the kids travelling for 6 months - would this be feasible.
    Any other comments or advice? – all appreciated.

Other Info -
    In terms of future large expenditure, we are largely happy with our home ( may look at doing a garage refurb at approx. €30K).
    No other loans
    No credit card debt
    Very little savings (circa €10K)
    I currently have a serious illness insurance policy in place. My wife does not.
    Thank you for any help – when I start to look at retirement etc a certain amount of panic sets in as we just don’t know how we are set.

Apologies if you saw this on another site, unfortunately I received no feedback or advice there.

Many thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

I'm normally more than happy to give posts like yours a bit of consideration, but given the complexity and the figures involved I really think that you could and should be employing a professional to advise you. So I'm out - sorry.

Presumably your missus used Cornmarket to set up her AVC - so why doesn't she contact their agent and see what he has to say, vis-a-vis her options? Trust me, she has paid more than enough in commissions to be entitled to a bit of advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Blub123

Hi Port..
    Appreciate the feedback.
    Yes, will look at getting cornmarket out however he could come out and tell us Black was white and we would nod away...
    Was hoping to get some opinions that would generate queries for the cornmarket rep.
    Yes I hear you re cornmarket and costs which begs the Q should she stop contributing and instead begin a separate pension where costs aren't as high.
    I did contact a couple of brokers but they admitted their knowledge of cornmarket was limited, which throws me back at the mercy of a rep who's vested interest is to continue paying into the avc scheme.
    Thanks

Pensions and AVCs are complex topics. But I'll have a look at her situation over the weekend and see what sense I can make of it all.

For starters, have ye ever heard of Dept of Education Circular 10/2005 which allows teachers to retire with pension at age 50, if in service before 1st April, 2004? Please confirm whether your wife start teaching before that date.

Not tackling your affairs though - there's far too much complexity there for a simple soul like me to address!

Incidentally, are you based in or near Dublin?

Portsalon wrote: »
    Pensions and AVCs are complex topics. But I'll have a look at her situation over the weekend and see what sense I can make of it all.

For starters, have ye ever heard of Dept of Education Circular 10/2005 which allows teachers to retire with pension at age 50, if in service before 1st April, 2004? Please confirm whether your wife start teaching before that date.

Not tackling your affairs though - there's far too much complexity there for a simple soul like me to address!

Incidentally, are you based in or near Dublin?

Hi, based in celbridge.
    Yes she started in 2001.
    Appreciated Port, thanks

Blub123 wrote: »
    Hi, based in celbridge.
    Yes she started in 2001.
    Appreciated Port, thanks

OK, leave it with me please. Will respond by PM and will post here when I've done it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭ThumbTaxed

Given your wife is a teacher maybe she could spend some of her previous 20 weeks off a year on a criminally high salary to look into this for you instead of relying on free advice.

Please..

ThumbTaxed wrote: »
    Given your wife is a teacher maybe she could spend some of her previous 20 weeks off a year on a criminally high salary to look into this for you instead of relying on free advice.

Please..

Not sure how to respond to this bitter little small minded comment. So I'll rise above it & won't.
    Thanks for taking the time nonetheless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭MarioLuigi

ThumbTaxed wrote: »

Please..

LOL

Advertisement