Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

05-09-2019, 23:08   #16
Postgrad10

Quote:
Originally Posted by byhookorbycrook View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postgrad10 View Post
Would this type of info not fall under GDPR? Anyway, he had zero reason to discuss it with anyone but the department to remove the children off the school list so he wouldn’t receive their capitation ( or whatever it’s called).
It is usually the secretary who deals with Easinet ( what you call " the school list." )
Secretary’s are still bound by confidentiality same as any other data holder.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
06-09-2019, 08:12   #17
Treppen

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan partridge aha View Post
Why have you removed your kids from this school?
That's beside the point
06-09-2019, 08:24   #18
Treppen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoozerT6 View Post
Had you specifically told him NOT to tell anybody? He may have thought that it was common knowledge otherwise. Maybe an odd topic of conversation for a funeral all right, but if your name had come up he probably saw no harm in bringing it up.

If you did specifically told him not to tell anybody, well then yes, I would be annoyed.
Do you specifically tell your doctor and secretary NIT to discuss personal information outside the surgery?

The principal probably sensed that there might be a bit of a bad vibe when other parents Found in September so decided to go for damage control!... Maybe.

In any event, they disclosed personal information. That's data protection breach.

Make a complaint but it might be up to the other parent, who told you what the principal disclosed, to stand behind her claim.
Thanks from:
06-09-2019, 08:28   #19
Treppen

Quote:
I'm wondering what outcome the OP is looking for-s/he has no proof that this came from the principal of their former school,it may well have come from the new school, for example, who told the teacher of the new class that x would be joining their class this school year. It's not that they shared untrue information in any case and it would be known come the start of the new school year that X has left.
The op claims that the old principal disclosed it to another parent. And the other parent confirmed it to them.

If a doctor shared information with other people the fact that it's true doesn't make it acceptable... Even if your health predicament will become known in the future.

As regards outcome, I'd be looking for an apology for starters.

Last edited by Treppen; 06-09-2019 at 15:14.
(2) thanks from:
06-09-2019, 08:34   #20
Rachiee

That's ridiculously unprofessional of the principle, I would be making a complaint just so that he learns that it's inappropriate , but don't expect much joy from it.
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
06-09-2019, 09:56   #21
Masala

I wouldn't be going on about GDPR here... there is no data disclosed here. GDPR has strict definitions of Data and I would see this 'rumour mill' as falling into any claim against The Principal.
Thanks from:
06-09-2019, 15:10   #22
Treppen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masala View Post
I wouldn't be going on about GDPR here... there is no data disclosed here. GDPR has strict definitions of Data and I would see this 'rumour mill' as falling into any claim against The Principal.
It's the op's claim that the principal disclosed personal information.

If you disclose information just to one person. And then a second party says that that same person told them what you said... How is that a rumour mill?
06-09-2019, 15:17   #23
Masala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treppen View Post
It's the op's claim that the principal disclosed personal information.

If you disclose information just to one person. And then a second party says that that same person told them what you said... How is that a rumour mill?
What personal information did he disclose did he disclose under GDPR.... Date of Births, PPS Numbers, credit card numbers, CCTV movements. That's what GDPR is concerned with ... information that could be used to the disadvantage of some one if given to wrong hands.
06-09-2019, 15:40   #24
Treppen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masala View Post
What personal information did he disclose did he disclose under GDPR.... Date of Births, PPS Numbers, credit card numbers, CCTV movements. That's what GDPR is concerned with ... information that could be used to the disadvantage of some one if given to wrong hands.
He disclosed personal information that was discussed in a private conversation between a parent and a teacher... You just don't do that. The information was in relation to the children being withdrawn.

Why would a principal do that?... Damage control I would guess.

You'll have to read between the lines and understand why a parent wouldn't want anyone else knowing why a child was being taken out.

e.g. I've seen it happen where a child's friends found out he was moving school from their parents (with various coloured rumors as to why, provided by parents), kids turned on the kid over the summer and he got isolated and teased. Not as bad if your in a big city... but small village it's not nice.

Whether or not the hands it falls into are "wrong" is immaterial. If I find medical documents on the road and hand them in without looking there has still been a data breach.

Check out the teaching council code of conduct OP...

Quote:
2.2 respect the privacy of others and the confidentiality of information gained in the course of professional practice, unless a legal imperative requires disclosure or there is a legitimate concern for the wellbeing of an individual...
https://www.teachingcouncil.ie/en/Fi...ional-Conduct/

You could make a complaint there
Advertisement
06-09-2019, 17:37   #25
byhookorbycrook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postgrad10 View Post
Secretary’s are still bound by confidentiality same as any other data holder.
But my point is, that the OP doesn't know who exactly said this- they are presuming it was the principal.
Thanks from:
06-09-2019, 21:24   #26
Treppen

Quote:
But my point is, that the OP doesn't know who exactly said this- they are presuming it was the principal.
Ya that seems a bit unclear. On the one hand it was never stated that the principal stated it.... But on the other hand the op implied that the principal was there.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion