Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hap

• 16-08-2019 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi, I am a single mother with 1 child and I am currently looking for a place to rent through Hap. I have found a place for 850 a month after being giving the limit of 900 a month from my local council. I am just wondering how much would I pay weekly? Do I have to pay for the deposit of the apartment myself or can I get some sort of help from social welfare, also how long does the whole hap process take.
    Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭sk8board

Blossom03 wrote: »
    Hi, I am a single mother with 1 child and I am currently looking for a place to rent through Hap. I have found a place for 850 a month after being giving the limit of 900 a month from my local council. I am just wondering how much would I pay weekly? Do I have to pay for the deposit of the apartment myself or can I get some sort of help from social welfare, also how long does the whole hap process take.
    Thank you

I’ve just been through this as a landlord.
    They’ll expect you to pay the deposit, although my tenant was already on an old FAS rent allowance, moving to HAP, and they paid the deposit.

You’ll also have to cover the first months rent almost certainly, (it should probably be refunded in time - the council will call the LL and ask how long the rent is paid up to) as it will take 2-3 months to process the claim if it’s a busy county council area.

As for how much you pay, they will take account for your earnings, be it working hours and/or social welfare.
    In my case I believe both tenants have part time weekly hours and pay 1/3 of the monthly rent.

Hope that helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

As above - plus the CWO may help you with a deposit if you haven't been given one before.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Blossom03

Thank you so much!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Blossom03

Portsalon wrote: »
    As above - plus the CWO may help you with a deposit if you haven't been given one before.

Thank you! Do you have any idea how much your cwo would give u towards the deposit? I'm currently unemployed and just trying to get an idea of how much I need to get toghter for the deposit. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

Blossom03 wrote: »
    Thank you! Do you have any idea how much your cwo would give u towards the deposit? I'm currently unemployed and just trying to get an idea of how much I need to get toghter for the deposit. Thanks

Can't say for certain. I am anecdotally aware of times when they have given applicants the full deposit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭11amie11

Hi everyone

So I am on the social housing list which means I am entitled to HAP, as far as I know. The thing is I recently started a full time job and my takehome is roughly 450 p/w (This means I still fall under the income threshold to be on the social housing list) The thing is in my area it is quite expensive to rent and the cheapest I can see is around €1600.

The limit in my area for a single person is €600. So i am wondering if I got a place for €1600, does that mean HAP pay €600 of it for me or is that not how it works? Any help much appreciated. Thanks.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭dennyk

11amie11 wrote: »
    Hi everyone

So I am on the social housing list which means I am entitled to HAP, as far as I know. The thing is I recently started a full time job and my takehome is roughly 450 p/w (This means I still fall under the income threshold to be on the social housing list) The thing is in my area it is quite expensive to rent and the cheapest I can see is around €1600.

The limit in my area for a single person is €600. So i am wondering if I got a place for €1600, does that mean HAP pay €600 of it for me or is that not how it works? Any help much appreciated. Thanks.

:)

Yes, if you qualify, HAP will pay up to the monthly limit for your area; if you end up renting a place that costs more, you'll have to pay the difference directly to the landlord, so you'd have to pay €1000 per month to the landlord in that case, plus you'll pay whatever your weekly HAP contribution is to the local council. The council does have some discretion to exceed the local area's HAP limit by a small amount (up to 20%) in exceptional cases, but I'm not sure if yours would qualify.

Between your own HAP contributions (which could be a couple hundred or more at your income level) and your top-up, that would leave you spending a huge portion of your income on rent even with the HAP assistance. You may want to consider looking at cheaper places outside of your current area and dealing with the commute, or consider shared accommodation (you'll get a smaller HAP benefit, but you'd probably still end up paying a lot less out of pocket).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I thought you had to find a property within the HAP limit for the area- and you paid the rent directly to the local authority- who reimbursed the landlord in turn, on the last Wednesday of the month in arrears. It used to be the case that the limits were set in stone- you did not get to rent a more expensive unit and topup the rent to the landlord directly. The landlord was also forced sign a declaration of what the rent was, and that no additional rent was being demanded from the tenant...…….. Of course- this could have changed- and it was never enforced in an identical manner in two different local authorities- so its very possible that the scheme outlined whereby the HAP payment is simply maxed out- and the tenant gets to go and rent where-ever they want and simply pay the difference- is allowed in some local authority areas??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭dennyk

I believe tenant top-ups have always been allowed on HAP; it's the old Rent Supplement scheme that doesn't allow the full rent to be more than the Rent Supplement amount plus the tenant's official household contributions (though no doubt there have always been a few shady landlords extorting illegal "top-ups" from Rent Supplement tenants, I'm sure...).

http://hap.ie/tenants/payments/
    Where the monthly rent agreed with your landlord exceeds the maximum rent limit payable by your local authority on your behalf, you must pay the difference directly to your landlord.

For the HAP payment itself, yes, you pay your weekly contributions to the local authority and they pay the landlord the HAP amount in arrears on the last Wednesday of the month. How you pay your own portion of the rent directly to the landlord, if the actual rent is higher than the HAP amount, is presumably arranged between you and them the same way as with any other private tenancy.

Advertisement