Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WMR check display cable FIX

• 06-06-2019 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭

Hi,
    I'm posting this to help others avoid the frustration with this nonsense error seen sometimes on WMR headsets.

TLDR:
    The Fix:
    Go the registry editor, press start and type regedit, press enter to open.
    Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\DISPLAY
    In there find the default display folder.
    Inside that folder, there may be a parameter sub folder.
    In the subfolder, see if there is a line that starts with BAD_EDID
    If there is, delete the whole parameter folder and reboot.
    Now your HMD should be detected as a monitor by windows.

Story:
    My Odyssey+ was working perfectly for last few months when on booting my PC up next day, suddenly the mixed reality portal displayed the error 1-4, check your display cable.

I did everything but reinstalling windows. I uninstalled all the usb drivers, the WMR portal itself, nvidia drivers etc.

And still it would not recognise the HMD as a display in device manager.

A windows update was downloaded and applied, upon reboot, my HMD was working again. But after a subsequent reboot by me to check it was still working, it wasn't detected again, same error.

So I knew my connections were ok so it was some configuration problem preventing windows detecting the HMD as a monitor.

The Fix:
    Go the registry editor, press start and type regedit, press enter to open.
    Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\DISPLAY
    In there find the default display folder.
    Inside that folder, there may be a parameter sub folder.
    In the subfolder, see if there is a line that starts with BAD_EDID
    If there is, delete the whole parameter folder and reboot.
    Now your HMD should be detected as a monitor by windows.

My PC has survived multiple reboots with this method. If the error shows up again, I will check my registry first before tackling any other troubleshooting methods.

Advertisement