Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

WRITTEN EXAMINERS 2019

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

We won’t get fooled again!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Random sample

I’m in the privileged position of using SEC money for extras rather than day to day expenses, so I always hope to have the money by October, and anything else is a bonus. It takes the annoyance out of the wait for payment every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

They ARE running on skeleton staff, always, so I can only imagine what doubling the number of appeals did to their admin levels. True, JC results are sitting there but probably haven't been processed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

It's interesting how people are so vexxed by the delayed payments almost like they are just about keeping the wolf from the door

... yet in the same breath won't bother working for the extra cash next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

salonfire wrote: »
    It's interesting how people are so vexxed by the delayed payments almost like they are just about keeping the wolf from the door

Maybe they plan on getting a different job that pays them on time?
    Back to your After Hours teaching bashing thread now for another while

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

km79 wrote: »
    Maybe they plan on getting a different job that pays them on time?
    Back to your After Hours teaching bashing thread now for another while

Really? A job that lasts for a month that pays better? How many such jobs are available?

We often here how poorly paid teachers are and how they have the best interests of the students in mind.

Yet when the opportunity to earn extra and ensure that enough staff are on hand to mark students' hard work, the SEC have to desperately ring around.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Really? A job that lasts for a month that pays better? How many such jobs are available?

We often here how poorly paid teachers are and how they have the best interests of the students in mind.

Yet when the opportunity to earn extra and ensure that enough staff are on hand to mark students' hard work, the SEC have to desperately ring around.

Ring around ?????
    Laugh out loud I’ve heard it all now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,835 ✭✭✭doc_17

Some subjects are very poorly paid and yet the marking takes the same length of time and that’s why they struggle to get people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

Where did you here (sic) that loads of codswallop? I care as much for my pupils as they care for me - no more and no less.

Oh, and I correct Leaving Cert scripts mainly because the massive post-tax, PRSI and USC payment that I receive enables me to support my string of mistresses at the level of luxury to which they are entitled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

Evidently, concepts such as cash flow and budgeting lie far beyond your comprehensive capabilities.

So let me simplify the problem to you: imagine that your dole didn't turn up in the post office one Thursday morning? You'd probably be a bit put out and, in a worst case scenario, the lack of funds might prevent you going out on the piss with your mates that weekend. Wouldn't that be absolutely dreadful?

Anyway, the long-awaited payment came into my bank account this morning, so I'm going on the lash tomorrow evening. All going well there won't an uneaten lobster left in Killybegs by Saturday morning!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭wingnut

Thinking of applying for corrections this year. Money is not the big consideration it's a new course and I and the insight into the marking. Never corrected before for SEC.

1. Can you ask for a minimum amount of papers if like in my situation the money is not important? ( There are less that 50 schools doing this exam).
    2. There have been a lot of changes with online making and appeal windows so what in the likely time commitment and over that dates?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Random sample

The smaller the subject the less wriggle room their is for examiners, I would imagine, because they won’t have many people to share the exams around. Taking less papers would cost the SEC more because they would be likely to need an extra examiner to accommodate that.

The conference date is usually within a week or so of the exam, and marking continues for 26 days after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

wingnut wrote: »
    Thinking of applying for corrections this year. Money is not the big consideration it's a new course and I and the insight into the marking. Never corrected before for SEC.

1. Can you ask for a minimum amount of papers if like in my situation the money is not important? ( There are less that 50 schools doing this exam).
    2. There have been a lot of changes with online making and appeal windows so what in the likely time commitment and over that dates?

If there are less than 50 schools it is an option subject or it’s a pilot subject like computer science or PE at leaving cert. Even allowing for a class of 20 entered from each school you are looking at 1000 students/scripts max. If it is a LC subject there will be HL and OL. Maybe on an 80/20 split. Maybe more, maybe less.

Examiners typically get 400 papers, can be less depending on the nature of exam or numbers sitting exam, but realistically even at a very low 200 papers per examiner they won’t need more than 5 examiners plus some advisers. I don’t think you’ll have much ability to argue for a smaller number of scripts if other examiners are available to do more. Hiring you on a lower number might mean having to hire an extra examiner to take your surplus which they don’t need to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

I agree with the above, but I’d also add that if there are only 50 schools doing the subject, they probably won’t need examiners anyway. The examiners are probably quite settled and enjoy the work and the process, so you might be relying on someone retiring or deciding they’ve done it for long enough before there’s even an open slot.

Big subjects will always be taking on new examiners. Small ones will do so less frequently.

Advertisement