Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job prospects primary?

• 13-09-2019 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I'm a primary teacher on my 3rd year out of college. I got a maternity leave after a few months in my first year and covered another one last year. I didn't secure a job this year so I am doing subbing. I did subbing for a few months my first year and I was getting subbing nearly everyday from the start of September. I didn't even need to hand out CVs or put much effort into looking. I just rang schools and was getting plently to keep me going. Now this year we are in the middle of September and I didn't get one day yet. I'm on TextASub now and emailed my CV to like 20 schools and nothing. (There have only been 2 on text a sub for the other county I have listed and nothing for my own).I thought there was a huge shortage? It's really disheartening that I got no maternity leave or anything this year. I didn't really apply for maternity/fixed term jobs in Dublin because of prices of rent/travel etc. Is it difficult to get maternity/fixed term jobs in Dublin?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Redser87

It's very difficult for principals in Dublin to find subs for maternity leave. I'm not sure about fixed term posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭emilymemily

Ive found this year very bad for securing teaching roles, last year I had 9 interviews and was working from the end of September right through to May, this year ive had one interview for a panel which advertised my subjects, I didn't get it as they said I lacked experience. Have had nothing since despite filling out endless applications and tweaking my cv every single week. Its incredibly disheartening and frustrating.
    I dont know where all these schools looking for subs are? Im on text a sub, I apply for the positions and get no response from any school and im hearing similar from plenty of other teachers so I know its not just me.
    I will say though, apply for the Dublin jobs anyway, if you get something you can then move down or atleast move closer to Dublin to reduce travel costs and time.

Advertisement