Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

06-09-2019, 18:55   #421
Rootsblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat bloke View Post
What baffles me a little is spending so much on a perceived value, as opposed to an inherent value. Specifically say a stainless steel rolex. What's the actual manufacturering cost of a steel rolex like say the Batman, which has a perceived value of 12-14 grand. What's the actual cost or value -would it even be as much as 500 quid? If supply controls were removed and they were as readily available as a seiko diver? That sort of artificial inflation is not something I would personally feel comfortable buying into.
I’d say the actual manufacturing cost is probably €1000-€2000 euro max and selling at €7950 a nice racket if you can get into it.

As has been said by myself and others “whatever floats your boat”

My friend bought a racing bike for €6500 second hand a few weeks ago. He’s always been into cycling and I’m happy for him. Personally to me it’s a piece of carbon fiber and that’s all but he loves it and will give him years of happiness cos that’s what he’s into.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
06-09-2019, 20:21   #422
Creamy Goodness

Whenever I see these questions pop up about the actual cost they’re rarely include the R&D cost in making these. Sure maybe the cost to manufacture is a fraction of the price but the R&D cost plus tooling and all that needs to be included.

I’m not saying that they aren’t making an insane amount but there’s a few videos online trying to estimate the bill of materials are often not showing the full picture.
(2) thanks from:
06-09-2019, 20:48   #423
Wibbs
Wibbed for your pleasure.

True CC, though one might argue that some brands, Rolex and Omega for example, but not the only ones, are selling watch models they've had in their catalogues for decades. Yes they've tweaked them here and there, with a different colour bezels, dials, hands or some material changes, but there would be a lot less R&D and tooling up on say an Omega Speedmaster than say a brand new Hamilton or say a Longines reissue of one of their "heritage" models(that are brand new watch designs with no interchangeable parts with the originals).
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion