Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giving up (I hope)

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭jmreire

Pretzill wrote: »
    Yes I know now smoking is much worse, congrats to you too, two years is a major milestone!

The start is the worst...but once the craving is gone....it's gone. Can be 2 or 22 more years, but at this stage as you know by now...it's not a problem. I make this comment to make it clear that you are not ( and have not been ) fighting the daily nicotine craving for a long time. This is to encourage smoker's who are attempting to give the cigarettes up a bit of a boost....if they thought that 2 years down the road, it would still be the same daily battle...the might give up the fight. Say you decide to stop smoking, and smoke the "last" one on Sunday night...so monday, tuesday, wednesday thursday and friday will be "Hard" days,,,,but even by Friday, cracks will start to appear in the craving pattern's. If you tend to have a few pints on the weekend...that's the danger zone !!! Surviving that,the next monday, and 7 nicotine free day's, it will still be a challenge, but even more "crack's" in the craving will become apparent. While it all depends on the individual, by the next monday @the 14 day mark, there will now be increasingly longer and longer period's of time where the craving is absent to a degree...this will increase daily, until it vanishes completely.... By day 21...the hard physical craving should be gone completely. Sometimes though, when you see some one "lighting up" it will trigger memories.....for me nowadays, cigarettes and smoking disgust me....being in a house or a car where the occupants are smokers, just makes me want to leave ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

I forgot to mark my two year Anniversary as a non smoker (1st of November) It still feels great!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Pretzill wrote: »
    I forgot to mark my two year Anniversary as a non smoker (1st of November) It still feels great!

Well done Pretzill! I'm 2 years 3 months off them and I'm still so proud of myself xx

• Registered Users Posts: 7 hippyreject

I've read through this whole thread. Congratulations to both of you! I am eight weeks off them on Sunday after 23 years smoking. I've never really tried giving up before but had been talking about it for the last few years. Something just feels right. I'm only early days but I've made it this far. I'm shocked enough at that. Reading this thread has been great. I can see myself in two years time. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Congrats Fussy Onion and Well done Hippy you're eight weeks in, that's amazing - I smoked for 24 years so I can totally relate and like you it just felt right to do it, when I did. It does feel strange when you quit but it's the best feeling to be free of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Staystrong32

Good luck to everyone who is on this way. I gave up smoking several years ago and after that I never smoked any.

Advertisement