Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
View Poll Results: What has helped you stop smoking?
Nicotine Patches 119 14.25%
Nicotine Gum 33 3.95%
Hypnosis 39 4.67%
Cold Turkey 359 42.99%
Gradually Cutting down 41 4.91%
Accupuncture 5 0.60%
Meditative procedures 17 2.04%
Other (please detail) 161 19.28%
Alan Carr 215 25.75%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 835. You may not vote on this poll

Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
05-03-2018, 19:14   #721
Nyum Nyum
Registered User
 
Nyum Nyum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 1,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyum Nyum View Post
Never posted here but been a long time lurker.

Just wanted to say I've completed 7 days without a cig now (I'm using patches).

I know it's barely anything compared to those who have done months and years not smoking but the best I ever did previously was a mere 6 days. Yes, I'm hugely embarrassed about that I admit but there you go. The last few quits barely got into the 24 hour mark

There's been a few times where I felt like wandering off to the shop for ciggies - as I normally do after a day or so - but nope, I haven't weakened this time and I don't intend to.

I hope to post here again next week saying I've passed a fortnight
TEN YEARS QUIT TODAY!!


Best thing I ever did! Good luck to all those quitting too
Nyum Nyum is offline  
Advertisement
06-03-2018, 04:38   #722
SuperS54
Registered User
 
SuperS54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyum Nyum View Post
TEN YEARS QUIT TODAY!!


Best thing I ever did! Good luck to all those quitting too
Congrats!! Great to be off them
SuperS54 is offline  
Thanks from:
12-02-2019, 21:16   #723
Emmadilema
Registered User
 
Emmadilema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 3
I quit smoking a week ago on Sunday and for the first time ever, it’s going really well. I’m not too fussed at all about smoking and went cold turkey so nicotine free at this stage. The problem I’m having is, everyday, usually around late afternoon my throat starts to feel like it’s closing up and stays like that for the rest of the day. The first few days after quitting, this was happening but much more severe with twitching and dizziness. Now it’s just the tightness in my throat. It’s not painful and not causing me any difficulty breathing but it is extremely irritating at this stage. I’ve entertained the idea that it might be stress/anxiety but it’s like a clock everyday even when I’m relaxed. Anyone any ideas what could be causing this?
Emmadilema is offline  
13-02-2019, 02:05   #724
SuperS54
Registered User
 
SuperS54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmadilema View Post
I quit smoking a week ago on Sunday and for the first time ever, it’s going really well. I’m not too fussed at all about smoking and went cold turkey so nicotine free at this stage. The problem I’m having is, everyday, usually around late afternoon my throat starts to feel like it’s closing up and stays like that for the rest of the day. The first few days after quitting, this was happening but much more severe with twitching and dizziness. Now it’s just the tightness in my throat. It’s not painful and not causing me any difficulty breathing but it is extremely irritating at this stage. I’ve entertained the idea that it might be stress/anxiety but it’s like a clock everyday even when I’m relaxed. Anyone any ideas what could be causing this?
Should probably get it checked by a doctor if it's really bothering you however I would go with the anxiety diagnosis. I had similar issues when I quit many years ago, always around 3pm for me. In hindsight I think the issue existed before I quit but I was putting down the occasional dizzy spell, tightness etc as being a result of smoking. You get much more in tune with yourself when you're not on the nicotine clock!
SuperS54 is offline  
13-02-2019, 21:23   #725
Emmadilema
Registered User
 
Emmadilema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperS54 View Post
Should probably get it checked by a doctor if it's really bothering you however I would go with the anxiety diagnosis. I had similar issues when I quit many years ago, always around 3pm for me. In hindsight I think the issue existed before I quit but I was putting down the occasional dizzy spell, tightness etc as being a result of smoking. You get much more in tune with yourself when you're not on the nicotine clock!
Yeah I’m leaning that way myself. How long did it last for you? If it keeps up much longer I probably will see the doctor. It’s driving me bananas although not enough to make me want to smoke thank god.
Emmadilema is offline  
Advertisement
14-02-2019, 05:33   #726
SuperS54
Registered User
 
SuperS54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmadilema View Post
Yeah I’m leaning that way myself. How long did it last for you? If it keeps up much longer I probably will see the doctor. It’s driving me bananas although not enough to make me want to smoke thank god.
It lasted until I went to the doc and got some medication to help! It may be completely disconnected from stopping smoking in the first place, take a step back and look at what else may be causing stress in your life. I assume there was some trigger that caused you to quit in the first place, although quitting in itself is a stressful change. Give it a few weeks and see your GP if it doesn't go away. If you find it doesn't happen if you are busy with some (enjoyable) task then it's likely stress related and not a physical problem.
SuperS54 is offline  
05-03-2019, 14:40   #727
Nyum Nyum
Registered User
 
Nyum Nyum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 1,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyum Nyum View Post
TEN YEARS QUIT TODAY!!


Best thing I ever did! Good luck to all those quitting too

11 years now

Keep going if you've quit
Nyum Nyum is offline  
(3) thanks from:
20-08-2019, 07:08   #728
SuperS54
Registered User
 
SuperS54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperS54 View Post
Day 15, cold turkey, internet sites then followed by Allen Carr, actually far easier than I imagined it would be or it has ever been before. I think once you educate yourself and the veil is lifted it becomes much easier. Have to say I'm feeling better than I ever remember feeling in a long time, masses of energy, the return of dreams has been pleasant too!
If you're thinking of quitting, there are a lot of resources and free pdf's on the web which you can be read at work!
7 Years down! So, so glad I made that decision all those years ago!
SuperS54 is offline  
Thanks from:
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet