Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long to get HAP?

• 12-09-2019 9:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭

My friend just moved out of the family home. Messy situation. 3 kids.
    As it happens I'm in the process of renting a place. It would suit his needs but he can't afford it. If he had HAP he could judging by the applications I'm seeing.

If he starts the process today how long might it take him to get HAP approval?

Note I haven't mentioned this to him, and he hasn't said anything about it. But I'm thinking of suggesting it. I'd like to help him out.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

Zulu wrote: »
    My friend just moved out of the family home. Messy situation. 3 kids.
    As it happens I'm in the process of renting a place. It would suit his needs but he can't afford it. If he had HAP he could judging by the applications I'm seeing.

If he starts the process today how long might it take him to get HAP approval?

Note I haven't mentioned this to him, and he hasn't said anything about it. But I'm thinking of suggesting it. I'd like to help him out.

Thanks.

He would have to apply for social housing and then make another application for HAP if approved.

For it to be worth his while he will need proof of overnight access to be able to add the children to the application and be entitled to a higher gap contribution. He will also need all the usual including original birth certs, income forms etc.

The whole process if he started today could take a good 14 weeks (I know) if he didn't have everything he needed on the first visit and if there was a significant backlog.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

If he's still joint owner of the family home he won't qualify for Social Housing or HAP as far as I know, he should check that with the local council.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Thanks all. There's a family home alright. Wont be as easy as it seems....

GoneHome wrote: »
    If he's still joint owner of the family home he won't qualify for Social Housing or HAP as far as I know, he should check that with the local council.

He will qualify as hap or ras only, if he is under the income limit. Won't be entitled to express interest on "council houses".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

Mokuba wrote: »
    He will qualify as hap or ras only, if he is under the income limit. Won't be entitled to express interest on "council houses".

In order to qualify for HAP (which has replaced RAS for new applications) he must be deemed qualified for Social Housing which he cannot do if he is joint owner of a property. He should phone his local council to clarify but that's my reading of it. Once there's a legal separation/divorce in place he can apply for social housing but as a single applicant on his own chances of getting even a one bedroom apartment are zero.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the info folks. Sounds like he's fubared so :(

GoneHome wrote: »
    In order to qualify for HAP (which has replaced RAS for new applications) he must be deemed qualified for Social Housing which he cannot do if he is joint owner of a property. He should phone his local council to clarify but that's my reading of it. Once there's a legal separation/divorce in place he can apply for social housing but as a single applicant on his own chances of getting even a one bedroom apartment are zero.

This is not true. You are eligible to apply and be accepted for hap or ras only in situations such as these. I am 100 percent correct on this and if the person in question contacts his local authority I will be proven correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭gibgodsman

Just curious, if he is a co owner of a property, why is he leaving? Surely he should be staying rather than being homeless and claiming our taxes? There are people in more need that man who co owns a house and has parted with their other half. His other half cannot forbid him from living in a home he is part owner of

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

gibgodsman wrote: »
    Just curious, if he is a co owner of a property, why is he leaving? Surely he should be staying rather than being homeless and claiming our taxes? There are people in more need that man who co owns a house and has parted with their other half. His other half cannot forbid him from living in a home he is part owner of

If they don’t want to live together anymore then one of them has to leave. You can’t force people to live together if one or both of them is very unhappy.
    The divorce courts will sort out the ownership of the house.
    In most cases there is a big mortgage which would have to be settled if the house were sold
    If there are young children then they need to stay in their home with a parent.
    It doesn’t matter which parent leaves.
    But the parent who does leave will probably need some help to pay the rent.
    That’s life.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭forgodssake

Mokuba wrote: »
    This is not true. You are eligible to apply and be accepted for hap or ras only in situations such as these. I am 100 percent correct on this and if the person in question contacts his local authority I will be proven correct.

I've just completed the HAP process in exact same situation as person mentioned in OP question and I can tell you 100 percent if you're name is on a joint mortgage you CANNOT apply for social housing or HAP. You are simply not entitled because you are not homeless .

• Advertisement

gibgodsman wrote: »
    Well utter lack of sympathy and your ignorance aside, he's leaving because he cant live there anymore. Simple.

Now back on track...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

I've just completed the HAP process in exact same situation as person mentioned in OP question and I can tell you 100 percent if you're name is on a joint mortgage you CANNOT apply for social housing or HAP. You are simply not entitled because you are not homeless .

Here's Citizens Information's take on the social housing eligibility situation:-
    You will be regarded as having alternative accommodation if a member of the household has property that the household could reasonably be expected to live in.

A property will not be regarded as alternative accommodation if it:
    • Is occupied by someone who is divorced or separated* from a member of the household, or whose civil partnership with a household member has been dissolved
    • Would be overcrowded if the household lived in it
    • Is unfit for human habitation
    • Would not adequately meet the accommodation requirements of a household member with a disability

* NOTE: A couple does not have to be judicially separated in order for this to apply. A deed of separation is sufficient – see our document on separation agreements.

Advertisement