Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lightwaverf FAQ

124»

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

The two cables that are currently together should stay connected together, it's the loop feed.

The other cable on its own is the switch wire.

Lighrwaverf switches are supposed to work without the neutral.

I tried the light switches and although I liked the look of them, I could not get them to work with my lights. I've older ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭comfort

Stoner wrote: »
    The two cables that are currently together should stay connected together, it's the loop feed.

The other cable on its own is the switch wire.

Lighrwaverf switches are supposed to work without the neutral.

I tried the light switches and although I liked the look of them, I could not get them to work with my lights. I've older ones.

Many thanks for the reply - and while informative not really clear. So the two cable together (common), which do they go to ??

The switch wire (currently L1) is that a switch wire in or switch wire out ??

This is my dilemma

Regards.

Lol no problem. I watched the video but it was t really informative as for one the wiring was old and it didn’t really go into it as would have like a bit more detail.

Also the lightwaverf switch in the video must have been for the connect series as the symbols were slightly different.

Thanks again.

Hi Stoner,

Just re-read your comment - you couldn't get them to work because you have older ones ??

What do you mean by older ones - wiring, lights ?

Regards

Hi all,

I also sent email to lightwaverf themselves this morning and they came back to me instantly (good service). So the guy has told me the following:

L - Permanent Live
    x - Switch Live
    N - Neutral and as Stoner has stated and also the documentation also states that this is not always needed.

So this would mean that I would do the following:

Current Socket - Lightwaverf
    L1 - Brown to L
    Common (2 browns) to x
    N (not used) - N left empty

So that the plan now.

But guess what happens when I turn the trip switch for upstairs lights to OFF
    The house alarm goes OFF - WTF !!!!

Regards

• Advertisement

Well I connected the lightswitch as per previous post and everything worked fine using the manual usage.

My only
    Problem now is getting the lightswitch to link to the hub!
    I notice that when I put it into Link Mode (flashing blue/red) and I go through the process in the lightwave app everything seems ok. I then notice the the app says it has added the accessory but yet the lightswitch continues to flash blue/red and then flashes red only and then stops on red. This I believe is telling me that the link failed even though the app says it has connected.
    Needless to say when I try the light settings on the app nothing happens with the light.

Interesting times ahead and sent of email to lightwave support. Wonder what the reply will be.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

comfort wrote:
    What do you mean by older ones - wiring, lights ?

Older models of the switches. The led lights I have didn't suit them

comfort wrote:
    I also sent email to lightwaverf themselves this morning and they came back to me instantly (good service). So the guy has told me the following:

Their service is second to none imo.

If you call them they will stick with you on the phone too.

Contacted Lightwave via chat.

Chap I spoke to was brilliant.

Found that the reason the light switch did not connect was my own fault in my eagerness to get it working I had set it up as 'Connect' rather than 'Smart'.

All working now.

Next to install the LightwaveRF 2-gang Socket which will do tomorrow. So far things are going very well.

comfort wrote:
    Next to install the LightwaveRF 2-gang Socket which will do tomorrow. So far things are going very well.

Sockets are easy.

The best looking smart socket by far imo. Mine are in years, older stock not state aware but they've outlasted much smarter units due to
    A, being a fixture
    B, the lightwarerf iftt channel is so good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭eoinf

These seem to have dropped significantly in price on their own website.

What's the minimum setup to get going for heating control.

Am I right in thinking it's the boiler switch and thermostat?

Do I need a hub also?

Thinking of dipping the toe to see how they work and then add on some TRVs.

eoinf wrote:
    What's the minimum setup to get going for heating control.

It's a switch and a stat. Plus the hub.

You could pick them up secondhand too.

I had the heating controls.

My son smashed the stat and I've a nest now.

I had also replaced the stat, but the nest was installed by that stage.

I have 9 of the TRVs and the immersion switch

They are good, getting feedback on home assistant on them too.

Not sure if go back to their stat.

Even a sonoff suited me better as its easier to use for most.

Probably the old stock.

So turn on control them but they don't feedback their status. The new ones do.

I've the old ones, if you only use google assistant and google home to switch them (as I do, one app multiple item control) Google will hold and show the status of the last instruction you sent.

But it does not get feedback from the socket so.you don't know if it's on definitely.

TBH this has rarely been an issue for me, apart from the immersion switch as sometimes it does not get the signal.

Also all signals come from the hub, so if you set a timer the hub needs to get the signal through every time.

It's not 100 percent , but its very close.

Our boiler is a combi boiler so no immersion.

I was thinking just a sonoff as switch for the boiler.

To be honest the remote binary on/off might do to start.

But I would like to expand to have it stat controlled possibly even zone control with TRV's.

I always wanting up going for one of the turnkey solutions Vs going DIY.

eoinf wrote:
    Our boiler is a combi boiler so no immersion.

That's my set up. Sonoff was fine. The one with the stat is even better

And you can use a sonoff in another room with a stat as a remote stat.

I'm happy with the lighrwaverf TRVs

I didn't really like them all calling the boiler on anyway.

With the insulation in my house unoccupied rooms don't drop below 15 degrees anyway and TRVs in those rooms work very well.

Plus they have a boost button on them for 1 hour.
    Immersion is independent of all that anyway

I am also going to install the TRV's but the only problem here is that all the current on/off knobs on the rads have to be replaced - so plumber required to change the connector to allow TRV's to be used. So typical here in this country that houses being built in this day and age that they still use old connectors etc.

At €10 per connector with 16 rads - thats €160 cost for new connectors not to mention how much the plumber would charge to change each one and then to purchase the TRV's from LightwaveRF which look better than Eve's

That's my set up. Sonoff was fine. The one with the stat is even better

And you can use a sonoff in another room with a stat as a remote stat.

I'm happy with the lighrwaverf TRVs

I didn't really like them all calling the boiler on anyway.

With the insulation in my house unoccupied rooms don't drop below 15 degrees anyway and TRVs in those rooms work very well.

Plus they have a boost button on them for 1 hour.
    Immersion is independent of all that anyway

So what way have you the TRV's programmed.

Just to regulate locally?

What is triggering the sonoff?

Basically what's your current setup?

Yeah, I'd to.do a bit of that.

I'd regular TRVs already but a mixed bag.

Myson ones were a straight exchange

They give you a load of plastic adaptors but if you want the benefit of my experience pop them in the bin. Yiu just want the straight connection.

Buy one and see you like it.

If you buy more get a good battery charger and but your extra capacity batteries on amazon day / on sale.

The lighrwaverf TRVs need the hub, but they are all standalone devices.

You can copy schedules from one to the other, make a soft zone by grouping units etc. But get a battery charger!!

eoinf wrote:
    Just to regulate locally?

eoinf wrote:
    What is triggering the sonoff?

Well my current set up is

9 TRVs TRVs lightwaverf
    1 immersion switch lighrwaverf

Boiler switch Nest thermostat

The rads just switch on and off individually , only the nest calls in the heating.
    So a rad might have its valve open but it wont get hot unless the heating is on,

I had a sonoff calling in and out the heating too. Worked perfectly well. Had a temp reading from a smarthings with it too.

The Google home interface links very well with the nest stat and the stat in each TRVs.

The only advantage of having the lighrwaverf boiler switch and stat was that any rad could call in the heating

However that was a bit if a pain TBH

Also you cant get alexa or google assistant to use voice commands to switch it. You need to use the app or home assistant gui to drip the dial below the base temp.

Well my current set up is

9 TRVs TRVs lightwaverf
    1 immersion switch lighrwaverf

Boiler switch Nest thermostat

The rads just switch on and off individually , only the nest calls in the heating.
    So a rad might have its valve open but it wont get hot unless the heating is on,

I had a sonoff calling in and out the heating too. Worked perfectly well. Had a temp reading from a smarthings with it too.

The Google home interface links very well with the nest stat and the stat in each TRVs.

The only advantage of having the lighrwaverf boiler switch and stat was that any rad could call in the heating

However that was a bit if a pain TBH

Also you cant get alexa or google assistant to use voice commands to switch it. You need to use the app or home assistant gui to drip the dial below the base temp.

I'll start with the sonoff.

Is there a way to have mains switch in parallel to allow it to continue to be switched manually?

I can't see seem to find something definitive through Google.

• Advertisement

eoinf wrote:
    Is there a way to have mains switch in parallel to allow it to continue to be switched manually?

The heating ?

What mains switch ?

Is yours a gass boiler?

You can have it in parallel with your current timer, just to add the facility for remote switching

However that's just for turning it on.

Parallel switching units like the sonoff and the existing timer will both be protected by a 5amp switched fused spur ans will work completely independently of each other.

The heating ?

What mains switch ?

Is yours a gass boiler?

You can have it in parallel with your current timer, just to add the facility for remote switching

However that's just for turning it on.

Parallel switching units like the sonoff and the existing timer will both be protected by a 5amp switched fused spur ans will work completely independently of each other.

Sorry I'm not explaining it very well.

Mine is a combi gas boiler.

I was probably going to pull out the timed switch. We never use it. It's always either on or off using the wall fused spur switch. I was going to put the sonoff in series after the wall switch.

I understand your point

eoinf wrote:
    I was probably going to pull out the timed switch. We never use it. It's always either on or off using the wall fused spur switch. I was going to put the sonoff in series after the wall switch.

Yes you can replace your mains timer with it.

Then its controlled by the timers you set on it using the app. (8 per day )

You can get a sonoff with a stat too if you want.

Also Alexa and Google voice assistants will work with it.

I have the Hive system received from my electricity supplier FOC for signing up again with them. The only problem was that I have only 1 Zone even though in my immersion I can see 4 power units/thermostats in there. One for immersion itself I presume, 1 for Downstairs, 1 for upstairs and 1 for water - but the builders at the time didn't wire it up for more than one zone - typical builders in a hurry.

Anyway I have a plumber etc coming in this week to Zone it correctly and give me an additional hive thermostat etc so that I can have 3 zones as expected.

I know that Hive is not compatible with Apple Homekit but when this is all completed by the plumber I can get the correct heating system that is compatible with Apple Homekit and no need for any wiring for zones tube done.

Before you ask why don't I get the plumber to install an Apple Homekit compatible system now - because he is doing it as a favour - lucky me!

Hopefully its plumbed to do what you want.

A heating circuit just for hot water would be nice.

My house is everything on one zone and an additional electrical connection for the immersion

In a half assed kind of way I get to group the TRVs to give me a kind of virtual upstairs and downstairs zone.

The bathroom rads have no smart TRVs though, so theres always the hot water and a couple of rads as a load

I received my latest purchases to add to the LightwaveRF. I received the Eve Motion, Eve Room2 and Eve Sensor (Door/Window). Purchased 1 of each in order to test to see how well it would work and also they are pricey!

The installation is only to insert battery to Motion and Sensor (the Eve Room2 is re-chargable with supplied cable). The Eve Room2 is straight forward as it gives you current room temp, air quality and humidity. Working like a charm. The Eve Motion is great. As a test I placed on the window cill in the kitchen which is opposite the door. After setting all devices up with the Eve app I then added the items to the Apple HomeKit and then setup the triggering (automations) in the Apple homeKit App and decided to setup the motion that it would turn on both lights (2 sets of 3 GU10 lights which are connected to the LightwaveRF 2-Gang light switch) when it detects someone in the kitchen and works like a charm. I then locked the 2-Gang light switch so that nobody can turn on or off the lights so total control by the Eve Motion. I have the first light (nearest the door) to stay on for 2 mins unless continuous motion detected which resets the 2 mins each time. The second set of lights nearest the window stays on for 5 mins.

I am happy to say that it is perfect - the only issue is trying to get the rest of the family (Wife and 2 of the 3 kids - the youngest child (17) is very happy with it and understands it and why it is setup) to work with it. It just shows me how people have a habit of turning on the lights and forgetting to turn them off.

Either way I am very happy with it.

Next I am setting up the Eve sensor which work with a door or window. The only thing here is when it all works and happy with it which way will I go with.....The sensor and motion technically do the same thing - as in I can use either to turn on the lights - use the motion or use the sensor as when the door opens the lights come on and stay on for the allotted time. But I would presume that the door would also have to be closed again for the lights to turn off at the agreed time - so maybe the motion is best.

Also have 2 Eve power plugs and they were my first purchase some time ago and work great - lights come on at dusk and stay on for 3 hours but will/should add a rule that the stay on provided somebody in the room - n point having them on if the room is vacant - other than a security ploy it would be going against the plan of reducing electricity costs. Which brings me to the LightwaveRF Motion which I have attached to the live cable in the ESB box by clipping it around the cable as it has two magnets and this measures the total amount of electricity used since installation and currently I am on target of reducing my bill by 50% which is huge - now just have to figure out how to reset the thing to zero at the end of the billing period.

So overall it was a just to let ye know how my home automation is going on and to embrace it but the costs of some items need to be looked at for example LightwaveRF 1 gang light switch is £65 and 2-gang is £115 - surely they can reduce the 2-gang a bit more - but there you go. It is going to be expensive when you count up the number of light switches and sockets etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭brio09

lgk wrote: »
    I have an issue with the range between the hub and where I have the boiler switch. I've a small enough house, but the hub just can't talk to the boiler switch. Luckily, the thermostat talks directly to the boiler switch so I can still control the system based on the thermostat temperature, but it'd be nice to get up to date temperature readings at the boiler switch location. I bought the WiFi signal booster thinking that might solve my problem, but it turns out that the WiFI signal booster is not compatible with the boiler switch or thermostat.

Actually, a limitation to note is that the signal booster must be paired with the devices it is to control, and it is limited in the number of devices (5 or 6 I think).

curious whether anyone faced issues with the range of the lightwaverf hub? it wouldn't be great to need to buy multiple $$$ hubs for automating a 2 storey + converted attic + shed.
    from the name, it seems they use neither zwave nor zigbee and their own tech and frequency. (i haven't yet investigated that)
    if anyone ran into range issues, what did you do?

Stoner, what a read. I have lightwaveRF light switches throughout the house but not fully completed yet as I have a few obstacles with some. For instance, I have the basic 2-gang lightswitch of which 1 is for the light in the toilet and the other is for the extractor fan in the toilet - presuming I could not use a 2-gang lightwave switch ?

Also the prices for the lightwaverf devices seem a lot cheaper than what they are currently - are you using 1st gen lightwaverf devices ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Phil765

Hi, can a lightwaverf boiler switch replace a battery 5v thermostat wired to boiler thermostat terminals.

• Advertisement
Advertisement