Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Isolating Hot & Cold Water

• 17-09-2019 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Evening Gents,

I'm trying to replace Thermostatic Cartridge in shower bar mixer and in order to do so i need to isolate hot and cold water.
    All valves in Hot Press are labeled so it was very easy to locate Isolation Valves for Cold & Hot water service. I turned them clockwise until i couldn't turn anymore. I opened the tap and both cold and hot water was still flowing. Furthermore, the pump was trying to pump the water constantly but no water was flowing. As soon as i re-opened both valves the water started to flow into the tank (shouldn't the valves block water coming out of the tank?).

Can you please have a look on the list below and tell me is there anything else i need to close to stop water flowing to taps in the kitchen & bathroom?

this list is from Hot Press
    1. Gas valve
    2. Mains Water Stop Cock
    3. Drain off cock for heating system
    4. Drain off cock from cylinder
    5. Isolation valve for cold water services [turned clockwise]
    6. Isolation valve for hot water services [turned clockwise]
    7. Isolation valve from cold feed to hot water side of combi
    8. Return balance and valve for cylinder
    9. Bypass valve
    10. 2 port valve to cylinder
    11. 2 port valve to heating
    12. Filling loop

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Pictures would help... :)

Are there any valves on the outlet side of the pump?
    Try turning off the pump, it may help stem the flow.
    Often old gate valves (red round handled valves) don't shut off the flow of water completely and in some cases the flow can be quite strong.
    Worse case scenario, turn off the mains supply to the tank(s) and drain the lot.

Advertisement