Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Question about hearing damage

• 06-09-2019 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

I started work in a factory recently, and one day myself and another new worker were brought into a very loud area of the factory to take samples. I remember looking out for a sign on the way in that said "danger, loud noise", or something like that. But there wasn't any such sign. I didn't see any ear plugs on the way in. I remember thinking I should ask the supervisor, who was bringing us in, for ear protection. I didn't! I think I was hoping that if it were that loud that surely it meant that we were only going to be in there for a very short time.

When we were inside we could just about hear each other and we had to shout. So it would have been quite a bit louder than a night club. After about 2/3 minutes I asked the supervisor how many decibels it was in there. She didn't know. I then asked if we were going to be in there much longer, and she said yes. So we went back out and found some ear muffs. The supervisor got ear muffs for the other new person too. We went back in for about another 7 minutes and the supervisor didn't bother wearing ear protection during this time! I've since found out that it was 89 decibels in there. But it would've been high frequency which apparently is more dangerous.

I resent the fact that she didn't give us ear protection. As everything causes hearing damage, I'd just have to be curious how much damage would have occurred during that amount of time? I'm sure there are people who have been doing silly things like this on a daily basis who can still hear fine, so I'm surely okay after a few minutes. But I've always had the impression that when it comes to hearing damage, that it's volume more so than duration that does the damage. In other words I wonder if I were in a night club for a whole two hours, would less damage actually occur during this time?

I woke up the other night and my tinnitus seemed to be louder. This was 11 days after being in the factory. It seemed to sound like it was a similar frequency to that inside the loud area of the factory that I was in. It's quietened down a bit since but I am worried.

Does anyone know a lot about this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭joanmul

Is there not a government agency that has guidelines for employment conditions?

Context - for other posters.

The OP is either the unluckiest employee ever or...

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058009355

I think that's 3 separate breeches of H&S in recent jobs. OP, would you consider a career change to H&S or fiction writing as a hobby - "Dear Diary...'

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Personal Protective Equipment
    Moving and Handling training

Every company/business/organisation has policies on this.
    Find them
    Familiarise yourself with them
    Bring them to your representative and/or line manager

OP, would you consider a career change to H&S ...'

Actually, the more I think about it - are these H&S scenarios you're discussing in a H&S course. Are you getting people to do your homework OP! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Game of Thrones Fan

Actually, the more I think about it - are these H&S scenarios you're discussing in a H&S course. Are you getting people to do your homework OP! :pac:
    We did some H&S seminar on our second day there, and ear protection was covered in that. I guess the company would say that it was my own responsibility to ask for it before going in.

You let your guard down for one minute and look what can happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Harry Spoof

What's your angle OP. What do you get out of these threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,036 ✭✭✭✭looksee

We did some H&S seminar on our second day there, and ear protection was covered in that. I guess the company would say that it was my own responsibility to ask for it before going in.

You let your guard down for one minute and look what can happen.

Mod: I think you have answered your own question OP. A quick google search shows that 89 decibels for 8 hours may cause some hearing loss. I don't think we need a thread to solve your problem.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement