Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Stadiums

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

anacc wrote: »
    How anybody thinks the Aviva is a good stadium is beyond me.

I think the Aviva is a great stadium.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Joe Dixon

I've never encountered anything like the noise generated in the New Orleans Superdome. It just happened to be that it was during the 2009 season when they were on their way to the Superbowl.
    It had a lot to do with the shape of the place and the enclosed roof and probably a lot to do with what that season meant to the city of New Orleans.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

anacc wrote: »
    How anybody thinks the Aviva is a good stadium is beyond me.

well its miles ahead of the old lansdowne rd, that was just a glorified hay barn with its galvanised roofs...it didn't even have floodlights till 1995 for a national stadium it was embarrassing :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

The old national stadium i referring to, before current one. Always known as the arms park to me anyway. But i wouldnt get into a fight over it!

In fairness you are right, the old stadium was always called the Arms Park by people even though it's official name back then was the National Stadium. And the Millennium Stadium was built on the exact same site, only rotated 90 degrees, and still it's known to a lot of the locals as the Arms Park.

For me, the Bernabeau is the best stadium I've been in.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,260 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Favorite stadium for me is Dalymount Park, for emotional reasons more than anything else, I like Richmond Park as well, it's kind of a natural amphitheatre.

Aviva is ok, modern soulless kind of job.
    San Siro is a proper stadium, not much in the way of facilities so if you want a hot dog/beer/toilet I couldn't recommend but was there for the Milan Derby and couldn't fault it.
    Wembley is probably the best in terms of facilities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭passatman86

My two favourites molineux wolves.
    And Estadio Manuel Martínez Valero. Elche in Spain stadium - crazy experience walking up to it as its surrounded by a car park and feels massive cause its out on its own
    Edit just seen above post - old wooden stand in dalymount was great
    Neither the biggest stadium - but their surroundings and colour, atmosphere is great

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Wembley is probably the best in terms of facilities.

don't like the new wembley from a TV viewer perspective ..the older one looked more majestic more of a imposing arena imo, the new one looks just like a regular stadium nothing special

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,260 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

fryup wrote: »
    don't like the new wembley from a TV viewer perspective ..the older one looked more majestic more of a imposing arena imo, the new one looks just like a regular stadium nothing special

This is the problem with most new stadiums, copy and paste concrete and glass jobs for the most part, replacing character with comfort.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

ya so many new stadiums lack character, all the fancy lights and cladding on the outside dont change the fact that on the inside they all look pretty much the same.
    the old stadiums had character if nothing else.
    people complain about croke park being only a three quarter stadium but at least the hill end terrace gives it a bit of character and makes it a bit different.

my compliant about it is that they should have finished it properly at the nally end.

the Aviva is ok but once inside it really does lack character plus i find unless you are least 10/12 rows back from the front you are sitting at a level below standing height on the sideline ( if that makes sense) so its a pretty restricted view.

farmchoice wrote: »
    ya so many new stadiums lack character, all the fancy lights and cladding on the outside dont change the fact that on the inside they all look pretty much the same.
    the old stadiums had character if nothing else.
    people complain about croke park being only a three quarter stadium but at least the hill end terrace gives it a bit of character and makes it a bit different.

my compliant about it is that they should have finished it properly at the nally end.

the Aviva is ok but once inside it really does lack character plus i find unless you are least 10/12 rows back from the front you are sitting at a level below standing height on the sideline ( if that makes sense) so its a pretty restricted view.

Croke Park and Lansdowne Road are symbols of Ireland. The North is missing on both....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,970 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Been to in no ranking order, and excluding club grounds in Ireland

Anfield (Liverpool) - Can't fault it
    Lansdowne Road (Old and New) - Too big for FAI Cup Finals but made the most of 2006 for the last cup final in the old stadium.
    St James Park (Newcastle) - 2 Games away end is miles high and really good location being right in the city center.
    Stade Saputo & Olympic Stadium (Montreal) - Football ground good for NA, Football in the Olympic stadium was weird big massive space with roof just not right for football.

Arena Centre Bell (Montreal) - Couple of NHL games great craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭thejuggler

Has anyone been to Pairc Ui chaoimh since it was redeveloped a few years ago? Big investment by all accounts. Only Ed Sheeran and the Liam Miller testimonial has filled it so far.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

thejuggler wrote: »
    Has anyone been to Pairc Ui chaoimh since it was redeveloped a few years ago? Big investment by all accounts. Only Ed Sheeran and the Liam Miller has filled it so far.

Yes twice, very nice stadium.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Motivator

Have been to:

Croke Park - love it on the big days. It can feel a bit lifeless when short of capacity, even by only a couple of thousand.

St. James Park - unbelievable stadium on a big day when the crowd are up for it.

Anfield - decent atmosphere but being surrounded by thousands of scousers ruins it.

Highbury - a special place. Saw Arsenal play Juventus in the Chanpions League.

Rose Bowl - almost stuck to the metal seats in the 90 degree July sun.

Stade Velodrome - marseille is a kip but what a stadium this is. Have been there in the early 2000s before the roof and went back in 2016 for a Euros game in the “new” stadium and it was incredible.

Lansdowne Road - a magical place on a big day. Saw Ireland beat Holland in 2001 and I actually thought the place was going to collapse when McAteer scored. I was also there the night England rolled into town in 1995. A really horrible and scary night. We were directly underneath the English crowd and it was truly terrifying. An old and decrepit stadium but the Aviva will never have the character and the aura that the old Landsdowne had.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,804 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Motivator wrote: »
    Have been to:

I was also there the night England rolled into town in 1995. A really horrible and scary night. We were directly underneath the English crowd and it was truly terrifying. An old and decrepit stadium but the Aviva will never have the character and the aura that the old Landsdowne had.

That was horrible beyond belief, a truly evil and toxic atmosphere from their ‘supporters’ I was there too, scary when the seats were being fired down not a million miles from the schoolboy terrace where we were.... but under as you’ve described must have been heart failure stuff... that was heavy stuff they were firing..

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

ThunderCat wrote: »
    In fairness you are right, the old stadium was always called the Arms Park by people even though it's official name back then was the National Stadium. And the Millennium Stadium was built on the exact same site, only rotated 90 degrees, and still it's known to a lot of the locals as the Arms Park.

The Millenium stadium is not the Arms park. The Arms park is still there.

Are people just not reading the words or what?

https://goo.gl/maps/YHBBFNxMdfCvhHTg9

Cardiff Arms Park and the Millenium stadium, side by side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭passatman86

I was at Lansdowne in 95 - bought tickets with my communion money lol. Was in the stand directly opposite the trouble.. Crazy experience

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

The Millenium stadium is not the Arms park. The Arms park is still there.
    think they know that. You're missing point. Yes Cardiff stadiums is the arms park but old stadium before millennium was the national stadium and also known as the arms park

Been to in no ranking order, and excluding club grounds in Ireland

Anfield (Liverpool) - Can't fault it

Hasnt been the same since they took the McDonalds out of the Kop.:)

think they know that.

They say that but then keep saying its built in the same place the old one was.

Yes Cardiff stadiums is the arms park but old stadium before millennium was the national stadium and also known as the arms park

No one calls the Millenium/Principality the Arms Park though. The Arms Park is the Arms Park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,763 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Nowlan Park in Killenny is a great place for a concert but by god they didn't prepare well for this year's Bob Dylan show and the ques for the jacks for the pitch standing was horrendous

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Was in the old Wembley for a FA Cup final in the 80s. Iconic place alright but due to the track around the pitch you were miles from the players and I remember a death trap tunnel on one of the ways out that just wouldn't be allowed nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,283 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Been to a couple of base ball stadiums. Fenway park in Boston and sky dome in Toronto both great in very different ways. Fenway has the big green monster in the outfield.
    Was in a few in Australia but generally as they are cricket and Aussie football they are colossal grand for a sunny day watching cricket but kills atmosphere for other sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

The Olympic stadium in Berlin is a very impressive piece of neo classical architecture with an equally impressive back story.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 11,014 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Generally only au fait with the GAA stadiums- both Nowlan Park and Semple Stadium are wonderful on a bright sunny day for a championship hurling match. Croke Park is great when the atmosphere is fervent, but a bit soulless when the crowd is low.

Only ever at the old Lansdowne road once, for a friendly, so haven't experienced a soccer stadium at all. Although that will change in three weeks when I visit the New White Hart Lane for a PL game. I have heard it is meant to be wonderful.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Zaph wrote: »
    I'm guessing you're going for a Seahawks game. Don't know if it's the same, but before the Sounders games there's a fan parade to the stadium with bands and stuff that's great fun and it really helps build the atmosphere. It starts about an hour and a half before kick-off from Pioneer Square. Might be worth checking out if they do something similar for the Seahawks.

Will have a look for that, thanks

All the modern stadiums seem to be designed off one another. Similar concourses etc

The Bertie bowl would of been some job tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

Outside of Ireland, I've been to:
    - White Heart Lane in 1986 (Spurs v Watford, First Division)
    - Celtic Park in 1986 (Celtic v Shamrock Rovers, European Cup)
    - Estádio do Morumbi (Sao Paulo) 2016 (Sao Paulo v Corinthians, Brasil League)
    - Maracanã Stadium (Rio) 2016 (Flamengo v Curitiba, Brasil League)

Since both Spurs and Celtic's ground were old fashioned, the best was a toss-up between Morumbi and Maracanã. Morumbi wins for the oval walkway inside the stadium under the stands, and Maracanã wins for the pitch-side stadium part itself: the pitch and stands/seating-area.

I'll vote for Morumbi. Both the Morumbi and Maracanã were better than the new Landsdowne Road (I'm against calling it The Aviva: corporate bolloxology).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

salmocab wrote: »
    Been to a couple of base ball stadiums. Fenway park in Boston and sky dome in Toronto both great in very different ways. Fenway has the big green monster in the outfield.
    Was in a few in Australia but generally as they are cricket and Aussie football they are colossal grand for a sunny day watching cricket but kills atmosphere for other sports.

Big jays fan and been to skydome many times but its a bit of a behemoth. Love the old ball parks like wrigley field and san frans stadium with a view of the bay and ivy on the outfield fence. Havent been to either! Always loved landsdowne. Got to the three swan in niigata during 02 world cup...really cool. 'Best of all though was terryland park in the early 90s! :)

• Advertisement

Heard baseball is a **** of a sport to watch live

Advertisement