Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Autumn 2019 - General Discussion

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

a cold sunny morning here in Meath, There was some frost yesterday evening but none when I woke up this morning. The next few days looks like a bit of a break from all the heavy rains and may allow the ground to dry up a little bit, but it won't be enough to stop the risk of flooding once the heavy rains come back in about 5 days time. We need at least 2 weeks without rain to properly start drying out the land here.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,498 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Dunsany's wettest autumns on record back to 1964:

Rank|Rainfall total (mm)|Year
    #1|364.3|2009
    #2|360.3|1995
    #3|358.6|2006
    #4|340.5|2000
    #5|335.0|1975
    #6|327.1|2010
    #7|321.2|2002
    #8|314.7|2019*
    #9|313.1|1976
    #10|307.1|2011

*2019's total is up to November 14th.

Data from Met Éireann.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Dunsany's wettest autumns on record back to 1964:

Rank|Rainfall total (mm)|Year
    #1|364.3|2009
    #2|360.3|1995
    #3|358.6|2006
    #4|340.5|2000
    #5|335.0|1975
    #6|327.1|2010
    #7|321.2|2002
    #8|314.7|2019*
    #9|313.1|1976
    #10|307.1|2011

*2019's total is up to November 14th.

Data from Met reann.

With 2 weeks of autumn left we are 50mm off the 2009 record. Looking at the rainfall predictions between now and November 30th, we could easily get 50mm of rainfall. It won't take much rain to beat the 2002, 2010 and 1975 totals.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,054 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Tis lovely out

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Perfect autumn day, clear sky, sunshine and chilly, loads of cloud to my east and south east, hopefully it stays away

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Perfect autumn day, clear sky, sunshine and chilly, loads of cloud to my east and south east, hopefully it stays away

Didn't stay away from Arklow
    There from the get go
    Little spits of rain all day

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Nice crunch back in the fallen leaves this evening after these two days without rain. Garden clean-up starts tomorrow...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

This cold spell is starting to drive me nuts. It's freezing cold day and night yet we're struggling to even get a frost. Even tonight it's still 6C here yet it feels bitter!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

This cold spell is starting to drive me nuts. It's freezing cold day and night yet we're struggling to even get a frost. Even tonight it's still 6C here yet it feels bitter!

It takes time to acclimatise... Best leaving yourself feel the cold for a bit!

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

A calm, cool overcast morning in Co. Mayo. Last night's early frost has thawed. Darker greys in the sky out beyond Croagh Patrick suggest the later arrival of an incoming weather front.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Got down to -0.4C here near Tralee

tnint_uk_ttd0.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭appledrop

Remember now it's not winter according to boardies on this thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,096 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

appledrop wrote: »

Oh my god give it a rest for goodness sake, are you 12?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

According to meteorologists since at least 1659 when the Royal Scientific Society was setup. I don't think any boardsie is that old ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭appledrop

Naggdefy wrote: »
    According to meteorologists since at least 1659 when the Royal Scientific Society was setup. I don't think any boardsie is that old ;)

Ha you never know! Seriously though it's nearly too cold to be out + about.

We are out in park in all weathers but today really getting into the old bones!

Brrrrr. Back to house for some warm drinks + cosy heating

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

Ha you never know! Seriously though it's nearly too cold to be out + about.

We are out in park in all weathers but today really getting into the old bones!

Brrrrr. Back to house for some warm drinks + cosy heating

Ok. Stay warm anyway. If older/ill we really feel the cold more.

Under the weather with a chest infection and feel cold too.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

Apart from a few light drops of rain about two hours ago, it has turned into a surprisingly pleasant afternoon here in this part of the West. A nice few bonus rays of November sunshine here at the moment in relatively calm conditions.
    (Apologies for non introduction so far. Long time lurker on this forum for many years with a passion for weather and the great outdoors. Have always enjoyed the many contributions of the regular posters here and the great weather experts. Decided that it was eventually time to jump in myself! Situated approximately 11kms east of Castlebar.)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,096 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Completely dry here in West Clare but with lots of upper cloud. Overnight min of -0.1°c and daily max of 6.9°c recorded about half an hour ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

The reason for the disconnect between meteorological and cultural seasons (being one month out of sync essentially) in Ireland is because of seasonal lag - meteorological winter is centered around when we’re climatologically likely to be coldest vs warmest, whereas in Ireland (and other Celtic countries) cultural winter is centered around sunlight and the solstices and equinoxes, with each constituting the midway point of their corresponding seasons. Because the climate takes roughly one month to catch up with changes in the Earth’s rotation, these two paradigms are one month out of sync with eachother.

Most meteorologists will refer to the seasons based on their meteorological terms, while most Irish people will have learned in school (with poems and mnemonics to help remember) that the seasons begin and end one month earlier than their meteorologically interested bretheren. Neither view is right or wrong, so as far as I’m concerned the annual arguments about whether November counts as Winter and February counts as Spring are hilariously predictable and woefully pointless. What matters here is what kind of weather we’re going to get, dammit :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭pad199207

High today of only 3.4c in Kildare

• Advertisement

pad199207 wrote: »
    High today of only 3.4c in Kildare

Bitterly cold alright, temperature didn't get above 3.6C here either, this is the worst type of cold too, mostly cold rain and damp.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭compsys

The reason for the disconnect between meteorological and cultural seasons (being one month out of sync essentially) in Ireland is because of seasonal lag - meteorological winter is centered around when we’re climatologically likely to be coldest vs warmest, whereas in Ireland (and other Celtic countries) cultural winter is centered around sunlight and the solstices and equinoxes, with each constituting the midway point of their corresponding seasons. Because the climate takes roughly one month to catch up with changes in the Earth’s rotation, these two paradigms are one month out of sync with eachother.

Most meteorologists will refer to the seasons based on their meteorological terms, while most Irish people will have learned in school (with poems and mnemonics to help remember) that the seasons begin and end one month earlier than their meteorologically interested bretheren. Neither view is right or wrong, so as far as I’m concerned the annual arguments about whether November counts as Winter and February counts as Spring are hilariously predictable and woefully pointless. What matters here is what kind of weather we’re going to get, dammit :D:D:D

“And other Celtic countries“?

As far as I’m aware Ireland is the only country in the world where November is commonly referred to as winter and February as spring etc.

In other countries there’s no difference between the people and the meteorologists. Everyone agrees that November is autumn and February still winter etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Based on seasonal, or average long-term 3 month running temps alone, Summer begins in Ireland around the 15th of June and ends around the mid-September as this is the warmest 12 week period on average, whereas the coldest 12 week period tends to be from around mid December to mid-March.

One curious little trait of the Irish weather is that sub-zero temps occur with notably high frequency in the closing days of Feb and opening days of March as compared to other periods in Winter.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

First time in my life I am feeling the cold in some of my joints especially my knee,
    Jesus the pain when out in the cold.
    Starting to feel fragile ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

compsys wrote: »
    “And other Celtic countries“?

As far as I’m aware Ireland is the only country in the world where November is commonly referred to as winter and February as spring etc.

In other countries there’s no difference between the people and the meteorologists. Everyone agrees that November is autumn and February still winter etc.

I always assumed Scottish and Welsh people also considered winter to begin in November and Spring to begin in February, but perhaps Ireland is the last holdout?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter#Meteorological_reckoning

In Celtic nations such as Ireland (using the Irish calendar) and in Scandinavia, the winter solstice is traditionally considered as midwinter, with the winter season beginning 1 November, on All Hallows, or Samhain. Winter ends and spring begins on Imbolc, or Candlemas, which is 1 or 2 February. This system of seasons is based on the length of days exclusively. (The three-month period of the shortest days and weakest solar radiation occurs during November, December and January in the Northern Hemisphere and May, June and July in the Southern Hemisphere.)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭pad199207

Perhaps a bit OTT but I suppose some folk would be vulnerable with -4c and below

Status Yellow - Low-Temperature warning for Connacht,Cavan,Monaghan,Donegal,Carlow,Kildare,Kilkenny,Laois,Longford,Louth,Offaly,Westmeath,Meath,Clare,Cork,Kerry,Limerick,Tipperary

Very cold tonight. Minimum air temperatures will range -2 to -4 degrees Celsius. Widespread severe frost with the risk of icy patches.

Valid: Sunday 17 November 2019 20:00 to Monday 18 November 2019 09:00

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

pad199207 wrote: »
    Perhaps a bit OTT but I suppose some folk would be vulnerable with -4c and below

Status Yellow - Low-Temperature warning for Connacht,Cavan,Monaghan,Donegal,Carlow,Kildare,Kilkenny,Laois,Longford,Louth,Offaly,Westmeath,Meath,Clare,Cork,Kerry,Limerick,Tipperary

Very cold tonight. Minimum air temperatures will range -2 to -4 degrees Celsius. Widespread severe frost with the risk of icy patches.

Can't remember the last time we had a proper frost day , clothes frozen on the line ECT

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

A low temperature warning out.

Issued: Sunday 17 November 2019 11:00

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

Tuam Co galway 17/11/19
    9Os1TV4.jpg

• Advertisement

Met Eireann calling for another extremely wet week across the east and south with up to 200% above normal rainfall. By this time next week, records could already be broken for Autumn rainfall totals in Dunsany and probably other stations too. We only need another 50mm of rainfall over the next 2 weeks to beat the all time Autumn rainfall record.

Advertisement