Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UPC Thomson TWG-870U & Technicolor TC7200 - Enabling "Cable modem" mode - basic guide

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Asm

Karsini wrote: »
    I live in Dublin 3 and my UPC was down from 05:40 until 17:20! Modem didn't reboot and is still bridged though.

Ah I see. Do you have any idea what could cause it to return to modem/router mode?
    Thanks for the reply.

I've heard of UPC routers defaulting themselves, especially the old Cisco EPC2425. Not sure what causes it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Asm

Karsini wrote: »
    I've heard of UPC routers defaulting themselves, especially the old Cisco EPC2425. Not sure what causes it though.

Thank you very much for your reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 xerophyll

finally decided to try bridging mode today using the snmp method but could not get it! tc7200 all configured nicely but once you reattach the coax cable and modem syncs, all that bridging mode settings are lost! anyone able to help out on this?

adding salt to the wound, could not even faux bridge it by using DMZ as there's no such option in tc7200's web interface..right now i can just use the router as wifi ap :-(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭wiz569

xerophyll wrote: »
    adding salt to the wound, could not even faux bridge it by using DMZ as there's no such option in tc7200's web interface..right now i can just use the router as wifi ap :-(

Should be here m8 http://192.168.0.1/advanced/dmz.asp

wiz569 wrote: »
    Should be here m8

sorry wiz569 nope, 404 error/the webpage is not available it says, even after logging in. i only saw that option when i tried bridging yesterday, but like i say before, all those settings are lost once modem syncs

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Dave..M

I do hope the old TWG's are too flakey for DS Lite and they leave us the hell alone. Has anyone with the TWG lost bridge yet?

sorry wiz569 nope, 404 error/the webpage is not available it says, even after logging in. i only saw that option when i tried bridging yesterday, but like i say before, all those settings are lost once modem syncs

Hmm so they are now even worse then before, what firmware revision is it running?

Hmm so they are now even worse then before, what firmware revision is it running?

cant remember the full number but it is still the same as everyone is running currenty
    Its something .27 at the end

• Advertisement

cant remember the full number but it is still the same as everyone is running currenty
    Its something .27 at the end

So when you log in-then click advanced tab-then DMZ host

None of the above is there on yours?

It could be that the DMZ option is missing when the modem is in DS-Lite mode. We know that the port forwarding options don't work anyway.

nope.none.nada

this ipv6 thingy isnt really benefiting us upc users with the tc7200 modem so far from wht i can see...

nope.none.nada
    i just only have "options, mac filter, port filter, forwarding, port triggers and firewall

this ipv6 thingy isnt really benefiting us upc users with the tc7200 modem so far from wht i can see...

nope.none.nada
    i just only have "options, mac filter, port filter, forwarding, port triggers and firewall

That's a bummer m8,makes the fecking thing even more useless then it was before :mad:

If or when this happens to me I'd actually consider moving to VDSL, at least I could still use my own modem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

sorry if this is off topic but any idea how to get to QOS or WMM settings on this router? I go to wireless and the option isn't available?

sorry if this is off topic but any idea how to get to QOS or WMM settings on this router? I go to wireless and the option isn't available?

i dont think this router has any of those...better to bridge it and use your own router

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

I finally got to setup my Netgear R7000 tonight. 200mbit Internet on my phone and laptop is nice, but even the wife's iPhone 5s is nearly twice as fast as it was on the Thompson at 98mbit. Lots more to play with like VPN too.

Nice one OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Saevio

I just got a TC7200 box with UPC, and set about trying to go around it to use a decent piece of kit.

Just tried to route through to my VPN aapliance and nat for my storage... No dice

Sad face.

• Advertisement

Saevio wrote: »
    I just got a TC7200 box with UPC, and set about trying to go around it to use a decent piece of kit.

Just managed to set the flag from 2 to 1 three times, as soon as the cable is connected back the modem bounces and turns back into a **** router.

Sad face.

Probably running in DS Lite mode, to confirm, check if you have an IPv6 address in the web interface.

Correct, I'm IPV6'd.

Why would they do it that way instead of the right way? It boggles the mind...

People aren't ready for full shift just yet, I think.

Saevio wrote: »
    Correct, I'm IPV6'd.

Why would they do it the **** way instead of the right way? It boggles the mind...
    I suspect that they believe home users don't need publicly routeable IPv4 so they're going with DS Lite to conserve IPv4 addresses.

If or when they move me over I'll have to have a few words with them, and I will cancel my service if they won't let me use my own router.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

As soon as I saw comcast were doing CGN I was worried they'd start this **** here. Ill be straight to VDSL if they try it on my node.

Well, I've just PM'd their UPC: Reps userbox on these forums and explained my ipv6 concerns to them, and they were able to help me. I'd give that a try if you're in the same boat - they seemed reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Dave..M

Unfortunately UPC confirmed to me on that thread in the UPC forum that they won't give a heads up prior to switching over to IPv6/DS Lite and conveniently they don't support anything other than online shopping via a windows based lap top (although I've not actually seen them claim to support that either). No doubt some day I'll come home and find my network down and trusty old TWG back in router mode and then have to PM the reps to try & get my IPv4 address back and hope I can get the TWG back into bridge mode. Good ol' UPC, they like to make you work for it, ah the joys!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 nirish77

Folks im getting connected to my 7200 with the MIB editor but cannot find OID 1.3.6.1.4.1.4413.2.2.2.1.7.1.1.0.

Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭drabisan

nirish77 wrote: »
    Folks im getting connected to my 7200 with the MIB editor but cannot find OID 1.3.6.1.4.1.4413.2.2.2.1.7.1.1.0.

Any suggestions?

You can't apply to 7200 what is working for 870U. If you search on this forum you will find that 7200 reverse back to router mode after you put it on bridge mode. So no luck for you :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Lazyeye

Yesterday I received an new Technicolor TC7200 modem from UPC. my previous won't let me login after it timed out (already a user logged in)
    this version seems to have an updated software version, no DMZ. I'm really hating this piece of crap so after some googling I found this thread.

Tried all the methods mentioned in the first post (except Linux) and seeing the replies of other it is not going to work anymore?

my info form the router is:
    Standards Compliancy DOCSIS 3.0
    Software Version STD6.01.27
    Hardware Version 1.0

DS-Lite AFTR FQDN aftr01.upc.ie
    DS-Lite AFTR Address 2001:730:2000:x::xxx << Yes on IPv6 :(

Is there any other way to get it into Bridge mode? Or DMZ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Lazyeye

after complaining to UPC on twitter they put me back to IPv4 :D
    now I have to fight with all the settings but it will figure it out.

Advertisement