Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extinction Rebellion Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,543 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

20Cent wrote: »
    Blended sources from a few different renewable energies, wind, sun etc not just one.

... are still utterly unreliable and don't work when you need stable power 24/7.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Not following the whole thread. But two things are clear and people will fight tooth and nail denying it.

1) if we continue as we are we’re fvcked

2) and not continueing doesnt mean buying a 300 bhp Hybrid and gettin a snazzy mug for my latte instead of throwaway cup. The change required means forget about the current economic system and our attitude to pretty much everything

Since 2 is never going to happen until it’s all too late revert to 1

We are actually on a doomsday spiral it just doesn’t feel like it yet because we still have lattes. But make no mistake, Agent Smith is right.
    Or it’ll be Grand . Perhaps some technology will fix t . Since the Industrial revolution Technology is King so almost certainly Technology will fix this .

That’ll be too good for the ones that want to go around saying we are all doomed and going hysterical like Witch Finder Generals .

Hold on , whats that in the Sky ....its a great big asteroid....aargh wer'e fooked .

At least the climate change didn’t get us .:P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,364 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Not going hysterical. All the same to me really I’ll only be around for another I don’t know maybe 40 years if lucky. Might still have lattes then. Don’t have kids either.

Shame though. You’d think we would have been smarter than that. It’s not like they aren’t clear signs to see for anyone who doesn’t close their eyes

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

cnocbui wrote: »
    ... are still utterly unreliable and don't work when you need stable power 24/7.

Batteries can store power.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭lalababa

Guys , there's absolutely no point in arguing with climate change deniers, or people who think 'losing' 200 jobs in bord na Mona is a travesty of epic proportions. Tis a waste of time.
    Save your oxygen and do something productive like . ....making jam and preserves.....mmmmm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

We get batteries how?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Lithium?

Not going hysterical. All the same to me really I’ll only be around for another I don’t know maybe 40 years if lucky. Might still have lattes then. Don’t have kids either.

Shame though. You’d think we would have been smarter than that. It’s not like they aren’t clear signs to see for anyone who doesn’t close their eyes
    It’ll be grand . The Aliens will probably eat us all as a delicacy way before you are gone .

lalababa wrote: »
    Guys , there's absolutely no point in arguing with climate change deniers, or people who think 'losing' 200 jobs in bord na Mona is a travesty of epic proportions. Tis a waste of time.
    Save your oxygen and do something productive like . ....making jam and preserves.....mmmmm.

True.
    Good advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,571 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

We can't even build a bus lane without half the country going nuts and people are talking about nuclear. Get real.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Well she's right, the current system only leads to destruction of the planet. I look forward to her articles.

So she says. What exactly is the system that you, Saoirse, and the the rest who never grew beyond the hazy days of navel gazing in college with Che T-shirts on are proposing? Can you give a brief overview?

So she says. What exactly is the system that you, Saoirse, and the the rest who never grew beyond the hazy days of navel gazing in college with Che T-shirts on are proposing? Can you give a brief overview?

I dont know, some kind of better distribution of wealth maybe. The current model is self destructive anyone xan see that. Do you have an alternative system in mind given the current one is killing the planet?

blinding wrote: »
    It’ll be grand . The Aliens will probably eat us all as a delicacy way before you are gone .

So you come you here ridiculing meaning you're obviously spending some thought on this. And this is all you can come up with then?

You really don't think there is anything to worry about and people like me are nutters?

Losing 50% of all wild life since 1970 is nothing to worry about? Insects being reduced by 70% in the last ten is nothing to worry about? It's all going splendidly nothing to worry about?

See the thing is in my opinion if we wait long enough for the writing to be on the wall (and I think it already is) its most likely going to be too late. A lot of these things will not be reversible. So when do you start taking the warning signs seriously? According to you obviously not any time soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Not following the whole thread. But two things are clear and people will fight tooth and nail denying it.

1) if we continue as we are we’re fvcked

2) and not continueing doesnt mean buying a 300 bhp Hybrid and gettin a snazzy mug for my latte instead of throwaway cup. The change required means forget about the current economic system and our attitude to pretty much everything

Since 2 is never going to happen until it’s all too late revert to 1

We are actually on a doomsday spiral it just doesn’t feel like it yet because we still have lattes. But make no mistake, Agent Smith is right.

Doomsday spiral hahahahaha. Ok Dr Evil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

So you come you here ridiculing meaning you're obviously spending some thought on this. And this is all you can come up with then?

You really don't think there is anything to worry about and people like me are nutters?

Losing 50% of all wild life since 1970 is nothing to worry about? Insects being reduced by 70% in the last ten is nothing to worry about? It's all going splendidly nothing to worry about?

See the thing is in my opinion if we wait long enough for the writing to be on the wall (and I think it already is) its most likely going to be too late. A lot of these things will not be reversible. So when do you start taking the warning signs seriously? According to you obviously not any time soon.

Hi Greta.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,357 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Your post is being hammered by facts and logic.

Getting Celebrities / Politicians / Others supposedly on your side that are only doing it for the Photo-Shoots are ridiculing Extinction Rebellion etc .

Can ye not see that these people are just pulling ye’re chain .

Also if ye can not stand up to ridicule maybe ye are not that strong .

There is a lot of ridiculous-ness of this Extinction Rebellion Shenanigans .

Be grateful that people can be bothered to ridicule it as they are doing a great job of ridiculing it themselves .

Sometimes it is so bad that you wonder if some of them are doing it on purpose .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,097 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

I dont know, some kind of better distribution of wealth maybe. The current model is self destructive anyone xan see that. Do you have an alternative system in mind given the current one is killing the planet?

I'm no fan of the current system, it's killing the planet and our societies.

The majority of the world will see the greatest reduction in relative poverty and hunger on record, the greatest growth in wealth for most people ever seen.

Outside of Europe and pockets of North America, our dislike of the current system is very small minority view.

Not exactly dominant in Europe either but..

Of course they can. Unfortunately no one has the money to pay for them. The battery installations you read about, like the one in South Australia they installed because the instability of your precious renewables blew up the grid for a day, are only sufficient for load smoothing on a very short time scale on the order of a few minutes.

There are no battery installations that can store hours or days of power from when renewables are generating and then support the whole grid on for hours to weeks when they aren't.

Assuming of course you aren't blessed with practical geothermal or hydro, you have to have either fossil fuel or nuclear base capacity. For some reason you seem to prefer fossil fuel,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

It wouldn't be one as vague as that anyway.I'd be interested to see a detailed proposal outilining whose wealth is to be to be redistributed and to who. I think your idea of that is developed countries giving much more in the way of taxpayer funded handouts to developing countries while dropping living standards at home to about 1950s levels. Obscenely wealthy individuals and corporations would go untouched of course. A collectivist neo-feudal society seems to be what you're getting at. Correct me if I am wrong.

• Advertisement

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/president-attacks-free-market-fundamentalism-for-creating-yawning-inequality-1.4080490?mode=amp

Glad to see him going against the political grain. And yes he has a nice house and a private jet but hes the President and our national ambassador.
    This is also the man most people voted for and he has these opinions so maybe there is hope after all...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

If man disappeared wildlife would flourish. There was an interesting show on it a while ago. Cities would become diverse ecosystems, forests would regrow and spread. And man made carbon would cease.

Although the world would continue to heat up until it reached a certain point then go into a cooling down period. ‘Twas ever so.

blinding wrote: »
    Getting Celebrities / Politicians / Others supposedly on your side that are only doing it for the Photo-Shoots are ridiculing Extinction Rebellion etc .

Can ye not see that these people are just pulling ye’re chain .

Also if ye can not stand up to ridicule maybe ye are not that strong .

There is a lot of ridiculous-ness of this Extinction Rebellion Shenanigans .

Be grateful that people can be bothered to ridicule it as they are doing a great job of ridiculing it themselves .

Sometimes it is so bad that you wonder if some of them are doing it on purpose .

Excuse me but I think like this for decades now. You don't need Greta or 'celebrities' to follow. All you need is an ability to put two and two together.

This is not a fad. This is not something you can be for or against. This is not Liverpool v ManU or wearing Nikes over adidas or some other silly internet debate. This is real and serious. With or without celebrities.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭SeanW

Bahahahh hah ha ha ha ... calls nuclear "too expensive" then talks about batteries. :D :rolleyes: :D that's a good one :rolleyes:

Oh wait, you were actually serious?

I also note that you did not respond to any of my points calling the utility and environmental friendliness of renewables into question - not difficult to imagine why.

For reference, Sizewell B was built in the United Kingdom over the course of 7 years between 1987 and 1995. It cost around £2bn and produces 1.2GW of CO2 free electricity on a constant basis. Its lifespan has been extended to 2055. All of which proves that when nuclear power is done by competent people, using proven reactor designs under a sensible regulatory regime, yes it's expensive but you get a lot of reliable, clean (in CO2 and air pollution terms at least) energy for your money.

Granted, £2bn is a lot of money, especially in 1990s money, but try doing the same thing today with renewables and batteries as you can with Sizewell B. Remember:
    • You have to do this with just wind mills solar panels and batteries.
    • You cannot use any fossil fuels, because you need to match a target of 12g/CO2 per kilowatt hour, which is what nuclear power does according to the IPCC.
    • You have to provide power at all times of the day and night, including accounting for extreme weather events such as the extreme anti-cyclone of Christmas 2010, when there was no wind and very low temperatures for a prolonged period of time.
    • You should not use more land than is being used by Sizewell B.
    • Compare the amount of new power grid construction for your 1.2GW constant renewables to that required for Sizewell B.
    • Compare the visual impact of carpet bombing every hilltop in a very large radius to that of a single building in one location.
    • You can kill no more bats than are killed at Sizewell B (i.e. few if any)
    • You can kill no more large soaring birds with your ridiculous windmills than Sizewell B, again, likely few or none. If your strategy includes non-photovaltaic solar power (e.g. the mirror and tower arrangement) you cannot allow any birds that fly between the mirrors and the tower to be cooked alive.
    • Compare the waste disposal costs of all the life-expired windmill parts, solar panel e-waste and worn out batteries to the cost of decommissioning Sizwell B in 2055.
    • How much is the cost to the end user of electricity in this scenario compared to Sizewell B?

SeanW wrote: »
    Bahahahh hah ha ha ha ... calls nuclear "too expensive" then talks about batteries. :D :rolleyes: :D that's a good one :rolleyes:

Oh wait, you were actually serious?

I also note that you did not respond to any of my points calling the utility and environmental friendliness of renewables into question - not difficult to imagine why.

For reference, Sizewell B was built in the United Kingdom over the course of 7 years between 1987 and 1995. It cost around £2bn and produces 1.2GW of CO2 free electricity on a constant basis. Its lifespan has been extended to 2055. All of which proves that when nuclear power is done by competent people, using proven reactor designs under a sensible regulatory regime, yes it's expensive but you get a lot of reliable, clean (in CO2 and air pollution terms at least) energy for your money.

Granted, £2bn is a lot of money, especially in 1990s money, but try doing the same thing today with renewables and batteries as you can with Sizewell B. Remember:
    • You have to do this with just wind mills solar panels and batteries.
    • You cannot use any fossil fuels, because you need to match a target of 12g/CO2 per kilowatt hour, which is what nuclear power does according to the IPCC.
    • You have to provide power at all times of the day and night, including accounting for extreme weather events such as the extreme anti-cyclone of Christmas 2010, when there was no wind and very low temperatures for a prolonged period of time.
    • You should not use more land than is being used by Sizewell B.
    • Compare the amount of new power grid construction for your 1.2GW constant renewables to that required for Sizewell B.
    • Compare the visual impact of carpet bombing every hilltop in a very large radius to that of a single building in one location.
    • You can kill no more bats than are killed at Sizewell B (i.e. few if any)
    • You can kill no more large soaring birds with your ridiculous windmills than Sizewell B, again, likely few or none. If your strategy includes non-photovaltaic solar power (e.g. the mirror and tower arrangement) you cannot allow any birds that fly between the mirrors and the tower to be cooked alive.
    • Compare the waste disposal costs of all the life-expired windmill parts, solar panel e-waste and worn out batteries to the cost of decommissioning Sizwell B in 2055.
    • How much is the cost to the end user of electricity in this scenario compared to Sizewell B?

Tldr.

Bit rich when a climate change deniers mock people who are rational and scientific.

How is it you can be rational and scientific without the attention span required to read two paragraphs?

You can't and you aren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭SeanW

Tldr.
    Since you were going around calling people "deniers" and thus tarring people with the same brush as Holocaust deniers, I assumed you had an attention span greater than a gnat. My apologies.

But I suspect it's more that you could not find the ingredients for a straw-man rebuttal, because that seems like all you can do.
    Bit rich when a climate change deniers mock people who are rational and scientific.
    Not sure who you are calling a "denier" here. Me? I've already stated that as far as I'm concerned, 2 things can be true at the same time:
    1. That anthropogenic climate change could be a real problem.
    2. That various individuals and entities could be using it as a pretext for another agenda.
    Like Rahm Emmanuel, a Democrat party apparatchik in the US once said "never let a good crisis go to waste." Not sure how skepticism of this kind would make anyone a "denier", but go ahead keep calling names and dodging questions, that seems to be your M.O. Also you should be clear about whether you are referring to one "denier" or multiple. "a climate change deniers" either it should be "a climate change denier" or "climate change deniers". That's very unclear.

Who specifically are you calling a denier/deniers?

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/nov/13/insect-apocalypse-poses-risk-to-all-life-on-earth-conservationists-warn

Insect apocalypse poses risk to all life on earth. More hippy lies and india and China.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/nov/13/insect-apocalypse-poses-risk-to-all-life-on-earth-conservationists-warn

Insect apocalypse poses risk to all life on earth. More hippy lies and india and China.

What has that got to do with climate or extinction rebellion? Loss of biodiversity die to overuse of pesticides is not a climate emergency.

If you could put a coherent argument together for the drastic changes demanded by ER that would be great

• Advertisement

What has that got to do with climate or extinction rebellion? Loss of biodiversity die to overuse of pesticides is not a climate emergency.

If you could put a coherent argument together for the drastic changes demanded by ER that would be great

Their mission statement
    Extinction Rebellion is a global environmental movement with the stated aim of using nonviolent civil disobedience to compel government action to avoid tipping points in the climate system, biodiversity loss, and the risk of social and ecological collapse

So yeah, that's in their remit.
    Oh and it looks like India and China are polluting the sh*t (literally) out of our waterways too, but that's all a green conspiracy too.

https://www.thejournal.ie/waste-water-treatment-problems-ireland-4888536-Nov2019/

We need to clean up our own back yard, it's a disgrace.

Advertisement