Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
04-11-2019, 20:06   #211
esposito
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneiric 3 View Post
Latest ECMWF 2m anom winter season outlook (the more screamish among us may need to look away now )




Edit. Hemispheric view:

Would take that with a large pinch of salt, just as I would if it had a colder outlook. The default Irish winter is of course a mild and sometimes stormy one so I guess I wouldn’t be too surprised if it did verify!
esposito is offline  
Advertisement
07-11-2019, 18:10   #212
sryanbruen
Registered User
 
sryanbruen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 10,711
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX7R View Post
But the reality is that February is traditionly when we would get proper blast of cold / snow.
2010 event has really changed people's outlooks,it was really a one in a lifetime event
Replying here because it's off topic to the FI charts thread.

You're kinda right, kinda not with the first point. Why do I say this? February on average has a slower jet stream with a higher chance of it meandering - this makes it more vulnerable to high latitude blocking although spring and summer months have even more vulnerability.

However, January is regarded as the month with the highest chance for a severe cold spell. It holds both the only -18C and -19C Ireland has recorded (1979 and 1881) whilst December has a record of -17.5C (2010) though this record was only -14.6C before 2010 and February has a record of -17.8C (1895). March has a record of -17.2C (1947) too.

November and December 2010 definitely were both one of a kind and unprecedented. Other severe cold spells going down to their level of cold have either not been quite as cold; like 1982 which had an air minimum of -14.6C at lowest (as far as I know) or as long; such as 1978/79 which lasted a few days at most at the end of December and start of January. The last comparable November cold to 2010 was way back in 1919 which held the previous November record low of -11.1C before the -11.5C in 2010. However, this cold was in mid-November 1919 before a mild and wet winter. You could say this deserves to be held in a similar regard to 2010 though because such cold in mid-November in Ireland is extraordinary and that same year, Scotland got down to -23.3C on 14th November. December 2010 was more than 1 degree colder than any December in recorded history for all Irish stations - previous very cold Decembers include but not limited to 1916, 1950, 1976 and 1981. I'd highly doubt we'd see anything quite like these two pair of months again in our lifetime that early in the season. An event like Feb/Mar 2018 Beast from the East (and Storm Emma combined too) is equally extreme and rare to me. Last time that time of the year saw such cold was 1785.

Only other comparable months to December 2010 in the last century were February 1947 and January 1963 but even these, going by available station data, didn't have the amount of ice days and severe cold (air minimum temps below -10C or -15C) as December 2010. So... late 2010 was most certainly a different ballgame of its own.

February 1917 didn't have much ice days but the amount of severe frosts and low max with snow lying was very notable. Most places had continuous snow cover lying for the last week of January and first two weeks of February as high pressure proved stubborn following a snowy second half of January.
sryanbruen is offline  
07-11-2019, 18:33   #213
bazlers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by sryanbruen View Post
Replying here because it's off topic to the FI charts thread.

You're kinda right, kinda not with the first point. Why do I say this? February on average has a slower jet stream with a higher chance of it meandering - this makes it more vulnerable to high latitude blocking although spring and summer months have even more vulnerability.

However, January is regarded as the month with the highest chance for a severe cold spell. It holds both the only -18C and -19C Ireland has recorded (1979 and 1881) whilst December has a record of -17.5C (2010) though this record was only -14.6C before 2010 and February has a record of -17.8C (1895). March has a record of -17.2C (1947) too.

November and December 2010 definitely were both one of a kind and unprecedented. Other severe cold spells going down to their level of cold have either not been quite as cold; like 1982 which had an air minimum of -14.6C at lowest (as far as I know) or as long; such as 1978/79 which lasted a few days at most at the end of December and start of January. The last comparable November cold to 2010 was way back in 1919 which held the previous November record low of -11.1C before the -11.5C in 2010. However, this cold was in mid-November 1919 before a mild and wet winter. You could say this deserves to be held in a similar regard to 2010 though because such cold in mid-November in Ireland is extraordinary and that same year, Scotland got down to -23.3C on 14th November. December 2010 was more than 1 degree colder than any December in recorded history for all Irish stations - previous very cold Decembers include but not limited to 1916, 1950, 1976 and 1981. I'd highly doubt we'd see anything quite like these two pair of months again in our lifetime that early in the season. An event like Feb/Mar 2018 Beast from the East (and Storm Emma combined too) is equally extreme and rare to me. Last time that time of the year saw such cold was 1785.

Only other comparable months to December 2010 in the last century were February 1947 and January 1963 but even these, going by available station data, didn't have the amount of ice days and severe cold (air minimum temps below -10C or -15C) as December 2010. So... late 2010 was most certainly a different ballgame of its own.

February 1917 didn't have much ice days but the amount of severe frosts and low max with snow lying was very notable. Most places had continuous snow cover lying for the last week of January and first two weeks of February as high pressure proved stubborn following a snowy second half of January.
Where was the -17.2 recorded in March 47?
bazlers is offline  
Thanks from:
07-11-2019, 20:48   #214
sryanbruen
Registered User
 
sryanbruen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 10,711
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazlers View Post
Where was the -17.2 recorded in March 47?
Markree Castle, Co. Sligo. It holds a few monthly record lows in Ireland including January and all-time, March, April and October. Held the November record too before 2010.
sryanbruen is offline  
07-11-2019, 21:38   #215
peasant
Moderator
 
peasant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 16,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by sryanbruen View Post
Markree Castle, Co. Sligo. It holds a few monthly record lows in Ireland including January and all-time, March, April and October. Held the November record too before 2010.
One thing that should be notable about this is the location...as the crow flies Markree is only about 10 - 12 km from the coast.
peasant is offline  
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
07-11-2019, 22:28   #216
Allanjjmurphy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 22
ok.. Its November and its mild.....
Allanjjmurphy is offline  
08-11-2019, 12:08   #217
KingdomRushed
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allanjjmurphy View Post
ok.. Its November and its mild.....
Temps aren't really exceeding single digits and there is ground frost by night. I wouldn't call it mild!
KingdomRushed is offline  
09-11-2019, 09:59   #218
ZX7R
Registered User
 
ZX7R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,518
Part's of whales got some snow from the band of rain that went through this morning.
ZX7R is offline  
09-11-2019, 14:22   #219
sideswipe
Registered User
 
sideswipe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX7R View Post
Part's of whales got some snow from the band of rain that went through this morning.

They'll be happy with that

sideswipe is offline  
Advertisement
09-11-2019, 16:44   #220
nacho libre
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 12,362
https://geekologie.com/2019/11/wild-...with-rugby.php

I wonder is it the same fellow
nacho libre is offline  
10-11-2019, 10:15   #221
cowana
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 40
Kippure this am
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191110_093613.jpg (1.56 MB, 457 views)
cowana is offline  
10-11-2019, 22:49   #222
icesnowfrost
Registered User
 
icesnowfrost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 938
Hi guys, is the FI Charts thread started yet?
icesnowfrost is offline  
11-11-2019, 20:09   #223
freesia1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 56
Is this what you are looking for Icesnowfrost

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/show...p?t=2058011764
freesia1 is offline  
Thanks from:
12-11-2019, 01:11   #224
icesnowfrost
Registered User
 
icesnowfrost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 938
Quote:
Originally Posted by freesia1 View Post
Yeah thanks
icesnowfrost is offline  
Thanks from:
12-11-2019, 14:17   #225
pauldry
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,835
Markree may only be 10 to 12km from the coast but the hills around Ballisodare and forestry around the Castle mean its in a sheltered hollow. Frequently Collooney is several degrees colder than Sligo town.
pauldry is offline  
Thanks from:
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet