Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Spam email - what to do?

• 24-09-2019 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭

Firstly, I should point out that I'm not at all technologically aware so these may be very obvious questions. Also not sure whether this is the right place to put this, so it can be moved it necessary.
    I received an email yesterday saying that I had been "infected with malware through an adult site" I had visited and that unless I pay money into a bitcoin account within 24hrs that certain videos of me would be sent to all my contacts.I'm assuming this is a scam - I think I've heard of something similar before - so my first question is whether the best thing to do is just to delete this? I am assuming so.
    Secondly, the email was sent via the email account of a housing company in the UK I was dealt with previously. It manifested on my account as a reply to the last email I sent them (which is why I opened it - I assumed it was a follow up). Should I/do I need to inform them that their account is being used this way? Is it possible they were hacked or something?
    Any help appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

bolgbui41 wrote: »
    Firstly, I should point out that I'm not at all technologically aware so these may be very obvious questions. Also not sure whether this is the right place to put this, so it can be moved it necessary.
    I received an email yesterday saying that I had been "infected with malware through an adult site" I had visited and that unless I pay money into a bitcoin account within 24hrs that certain videos of me would be sent to all my contacts.I'm assuming this is a scam - I think I've heard of something similar before - so my first question is whether the best thing to do is just to delete this? I am assuming so.
    Secondly, the email was sent via the email account of a housing company in the UK I was dealt with previously. It manifested on my account as a reply to the last email I sent them (which is why I opened it - I assumed it was a follow up). Should I/do I need to inform them that their account is being used this way? Is it possible they were hacked or something?
    Any help appreciated!

Ignore it, it is an old con that has resurfaced recently, that and another with a similar email to your own with a very old password is doing the rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Chiorino

Delete it and forget about it. We get them daily.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭bolgbui41

Great, thanks. I assumed that was the case, but I just wanted to make sure.

That it came through an address known to me - is that normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Ignore any of those malware things and do not click on any links. As to the second it's up to you whether to contact them. They may appreciate it. I do it with emails from "banks".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Lots of people are getting these, they are nothing to worry about. Just delete and ignore.
    Maybe ring and give the UK company a heads up that they're being spoofed in case they aren't aware.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭bolgbui41

Grand, I gave them a call there just to let them know about it. Thank you all.

Advertisement